Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:58 pm Got a hard hat tour yesterday. Stunning. No notes.
I went today! The amenity level and outdoor space is incredible.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:53 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:47 pm Just know when the day comes, I’ll potentially be the only one voicing extreme opposition to wanting the city to be more like the clusterfuck that is New York City. We can do so much better and more to “feel big city” than some LED billboards showcasing content that 99% of people don’t care about.
So you want developers to invest billions and not use all the options available to them to make money off the investment? I don't want downtown to look like Times Square per say, but digital LED boards and huge advertising displays are here to stay. It's also impressive to visitors when they come into downtown and see something they're not used to.

This is like saying you don't want the new baseball stadium to have led ribbon boards because you prefer older, traditional baseball and not the corporate version it has become. This is the way. Tasteful LED billboards can be additive to downtown without going overboard.
I’m annoyed by LED ribbon screens at every stadium I’ve gone to as well, so yes. This is what I’m saying. Revenue can be generated by filling retail/restaurant spaces, office space, apartments/condos or seats (entertainment and sports venues). Advertising billboard revenue should only be used as an absolute last resort. Tasteful LED billboards or not, they’re a cancer to the eyes and the urban experience and should be eradicated for the sake of aesthetics. More art walls and murals. Less advertising… everywhere.
Art doesn't pay the bills and billboards can generate millions of dollars a year. We wouldn't have pro-sports or big developments without advertising. I see where you're coming from but it's completely unrealistic and a pipe dream.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:08 pm
langosta wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:07 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:00 pm

I’m annoyed by LED ribbon screens at every stadium I’ve gone to as well, so yes. This is what I’m saying. Revenue can be generated by filling retail/restaurant spaces, office space, apartments/condos or seats (entertainment and sports venues). Advertising billboard revenue should only be used as an absolute last resort. Tasteful LED billboards or not, they’re a cancer to the eyes and the urban experience and should be eradicated for the sake of aesthetics. More art walls and murals. Less advertising… everywhere.
Downtown was once filled with vibrant bright eletric signage and advertisement
And most of those signs were colorful and playful. They had thought put into them and took time to install. Western Auto being the primary example. That’s an art piece and icon, something LED screens will never be.
And I'm positive many people complained about how large the Western Auto sign was... How bright it was and how it robbed that area of its unique, charming aesthetic. Times change and the future eventually shows up.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

If that’s all that we’re groaning about then I think they did a great job here
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:20 pm If that’s all that we’re groaning about then I think they did a great job here
This is true. The feedback in here about this building has been as positive as I've seen yet. Hate to see us get all caught up over a very small aspect that's likely temporary.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCRag really improved 3L. Let's keep it going for IV Light
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Someone was flying a drone around it the other day. I was wondering if it was someone here 😂

I think it looks really good, both from a distance and from the street level now that you can walk around more.

No complaints about this one at all.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

From a distance it's cool because it looks like two buildings from some angles.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I have not been able to do a hard hat yet, but I talked to a girl that did and she said that penthouse is expensive 😂
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Does anyone know what the tenants are gonna be for the ground floor of 3L?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:01 am Does anyone know what the tenants are gonna be for the ground floor of 3L?
Something to do with money.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:07 am I have not been able to do a hard hat yet, but I talked to a girl that did and she said that penthouse is expensive 😂
First residents moved in yesterday so full tours should be available soon. It’s not done yet which was clear when I toured.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:08 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:01 am Does anyone know what the tenants are gonna be for the ground floor of 3L?
Ugghh, more banks. Zero benefit for the neighborhood.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:16 pm
It’s better than yet another empty retail storefront and jobs are jobs. Imho these downtown banks are a really good sign and have led to downtown sponsorships and greater involvement.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They are nothing but bank advertising. Heck the BOA one (another cordish home run) is all virtual tellers and atms. No jobs.

Id rather it stay empty. Especially a prime spot like 3L right at a streetcar stop.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

langosta wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:14 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:16 pm

It’s better than yet another empty retail storefront and jobs are jobs. Imho these downtown banks are a really good sign and have led to downtown sponsorships and greater involvement.
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a live human using a downtown bank
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Verification that they'll never make everyone happy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:48 am Verification that they'll never make everyone happy.
Does another bank make anybody happy (except those getting the rent money)?

Doesn't even produce sales tax income for the city. It's just the lowest of the low for all interested parties.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:08 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:48 am Verification that they'll never make everyone happy.
Does another bank make anybody happy (except those getting the rent money)?

Doesn't even produce sales tax income for the city. It's just the lowest of the low for all interested parties.
Well, they could have opened up without a tenant and held out for something that would make this forum happier but then they're accused of not being good at leasing.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

Is there just the one retail bay? Or multiple?