Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I've seen a few Twitter users wondering who's sending them text messages about supporting a North KC stadium district. The campaign also has a website: https://www.tonorthkansascity.com

Doing some digging on the LLC listed in the video add "To NKC LLC", it was registered just two days ago with the person on the Missouri business filing form being "Nicholas Schulte". Googling that name returns an employee at Axiom Strategies.
https://bsd.sos.mo.gov/Common/Correspon ... &version=2

Axiom was involved with the Ted Cruz Presidential and Senate campaigns, the Ron DeSantis Gubernatorial campaign, and other Republican/Conservative causes. It's not clear who's financing the "Royals to North Kansas City" campaign, but it has started and if the Royals decide to ride with North KC, this group seems to be ready to go (like many of the public officials up there).

It's also my observation that KCMO and Jackson County officials have been silent on this. That's a concern to me as some Clay County representatives are touting this as "the next big thing" for their county. Yet apparently Jackson County is waiting on the Royals. At this point, I'm not sure what to expect this month about where they'll end up. I'm starting to lean towards their preference being North KC. But East Village might be an easier time. Intrigue is maximum.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:30 pm
bhedges1987 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:04 pm Kauffman is beautiful. Ya'll ever seen the infamous Wrigley or Fenway? Dumpster fires. A lot of seats are blocked by support beams so you can't even see.
I do want the stadium moved downtown with that being said. Nobody really tailgates at royals games, and baseball is just better downtown. Arrowhead on the other hand needs to stay put.
I've sat directly behind one of those posts at Fenway. I'd take that seat over most any at Kauffman for several reasons.
I agree. In Fenway you're sitting in a historic stadium. The K has very little history to write home about. It's a fine stadium but not historic enough to keep around.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

I know we all want a downtown stadium but acting like Kauffman is some dump is laughable and disingenuous. It’s always Top 10 on any list. Kauffman is a damn good stadium and a downtown one would be better. Both things can be true.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The north KC thing texting thing more like desperation to me.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Imarealperson wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:11 pm I know we all want a downtown stadium but acting like Kauffman is some dump is laughable and disingenuous. It’s always Top 10 on any list. Kauffman is a damn good stadium and a downtown one would be better. Both things can be true.
I didn't see anyone say it's a dump. It's just not top 10 or anything special. If it were, we wouldn't be on the verge of a new stadium downtown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I grew up at the K so of course I'm going to be bias but I've been to 26 current/former baseball stadiums and that on top of being a city person, no way I can put The K top 10. Maybe top 20. Maybe. I love it but it's got a lot of things I'd improve.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

This his exactly what I’m talking about “on top of being a city person”. You don’t like the building bc of its location.

If Kauffman was switched with say the IRS building, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.
Last edited by Imarealperson on Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Fenway, Wrigley, PNC, Petco, Oracle, Camden Yards, Target
Dodger, Kauffman, Yankee
A bunch of Off-Brand Camden Yards garbage

Marlins
Toronto

Oakland

The Trop
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Imarealperson wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:02 pm This his exactly what I’m talking about “on top of being a city person”. You don’t like the building bc of its location.

If Kauffman was switched with say the IRS building, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.
Yeah definitely part of it. Surrounds is important to a building. Move it downtown it probably goes to top half of the league. Maybe. Fountains are unique and help and the seating bowl is good but pretty generic stadium overall. The amenities are pretty average.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Imarealperson wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:02 pm This his exactly what I’m talking about “on top of being a city person”. You don’t like the building bc of its location.

If the K was where the IRS building we'd still be having this conversation. Not trying to offend anyone who love the K, but it's dated and time for it to go. I guess maybe they'd push it further out, but it would eventually need to come down.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

No way. It's not that nice of a ballpark. You put any stadium at the IRS building and the location will make you forget about a lot of the downfalls of any stadium.

Kauffman is just okay. That's it. I have been to all but just a couple of stadiums and I would rank Kauffman around 15-17 and I'm bias. I think most people that have been to all stadiums would rank it lower. It's not a bad stadium, but it's not a great one either. It's average at best.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

those are pretty fair and I'd where I'd put it. Maybe a couple higher but that's prob because it's my park.
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:14 pm Literally the first six results when googling "MLB stadium rankings", so not cherry picked

17th
https://youtu.be/WDtd1QECbO8?t=584

This is the only one I clicked on FWIW. Seems the dude is only ranking these stadiums on the name of the stadium. Not the looks / feel? All he's talking about it seems are how easy the stadium names are to pronounce and how he likes the names.

Maybe it's just me, but Kauffman looks so much prettier than most of those stadiums they showed.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

It's not just you. I think Kauffman is a top 10 ballpark, no question. But it's okay to tear it down and replace it. It also would not bother me in the slightest if they tore down Wrigley and maybe Fenway though.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It would also not bother me in the slightest if they go leech money from some other schmucks to further enrich themselves because as much as I have distaste for billionaire welfare, I mean, if they were good or even made an effort...
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

GRID wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:48 pm

No way. It's not that nice of a ballpark. You put any stadium at the IRS building and the location will make you forget about a lot of the downfalls of any stadium.

Kauffman is just okay. That's it. I have been to all but just a couple of stadiums and I would rank Kauffman around 15-17 and I'm bias. I think most people that have been to all stadiums would rank it lower. It's not a bad stadium, but it's not a great one either. It's average at best.
Biased.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The Royals late September stadium decision is coming up soon now. I wonder if we will start to see any leaks in the following week?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:30 am The Royals late September stadium decision is coming up soon now. I wonder if we will start to see any leaks in the following week?
Tough decision but it's going to NKC.

Actually not kidding.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

im2kull wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:48 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:30 am The Royals late September stadium decision is coming up soon now. I wonder if we will start to see any leaks in the following week?
Tough decision but it's going to NKC.

Actually not kidding.
Source?

I just can't see it. The vast majority of citizens and/or financial players all either want it downtown or to stay at Truman. There's just no appetite for NKC as the location, except from one family. I just can't see that being enough. Heads would roll. The NIMBY "keep my K" folk hate it because it's change, & the downtowners hate it because it's not urban. There's just not enough base support for it from literally anybody outside like 1% of the people.