Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Renovations of apartment buildings along Armour Blvd.

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Is there something wrong with that size? I did the majority of my grocery shopping in NYC in stores much smaller than QuikTrips. I have no idea if this grocer will be worthwhile, but small format stores definitely serve a purpose and are very useful in an urban environment. KC needs many more like that.
MidKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MidKC »

I’ve shopped at the Crossroads location a few times and they have a decent selection. Weak spot is having produce stocked. But it should serve the neighborhood well.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would love to see some sidewalk produce bins at one of these urban markets. I used to get a lot of my produce on the way home from work at small bodegas. There were even a few bodegas that only sold produce.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Fund Me, KC: Grocery store on Troost needs to bag community support to open, bringing fresh food east

https://www.startlandnews.com/2023/07/t ... ery-store/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Community is misspelled...but I think that's just a rendering right?
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:00 am It looks like Urban Cafe will be one of the tenants for the NW corner:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... b17d3d27df
Holy shit this is fantastic news! I love Urban Cafe!
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

smh wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:20 pm Community is misspelled...but I think that's just a rendering right?
Looks like a contractor installed the sign wrong...lol
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I'm pretty sure the sign is up correctly (as of a couple days ago). I'm not sure if it was put up incorrectly at first or if that picture is just a rendering.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:26 pm I'm pretty sure the sign is up correctly (as of a couple days ago). I'm not sure if it was put up incorrectly at first or if that picture is just a rendering.
I just drove past it and it was spelled correctly. 🤷‍♂️
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

What is the site you linked to? Why have I never heard of them?
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

kboish wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:41 am What is the site you linked to? Why have I never heard of them?
They are an email newsletter that comes out daily, they are in a handful of big US cities, obviously including KC. They started showing up in my email a couple years ago without me doing anything. Read one of them, and was like this is actually kind of cool.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/co ... utm_term=1

This Reddit thread should be a reference point for anyone wondering what Armour was like pre-MAC properties.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kboish wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:06 am https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/co ... utm_term=1

This Reddit thread should be a reference point for anyone wondering what Armour was like pre-MAC properties.
Which makes me crazy when people complain about the cost of rent going up in those buildings, because how much is your life worth? Sure, your rent was cheap, it almost cost you your life to live there!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Many of those buildings were Section 8, and it's hard to find Section 8 apartments. There are more people looking for low-income housing than there are units or individual houses. Low-income residents often tolerate poor situations because they can't afford to be moving all the time.

Many developers who renovate buildings, or build new units that set aside a portion for Section 8, have set contracts for how long they provide subsidized housing for the subsidies. Once the contract is up, they can go market-rate. So there are always units falling out of the program.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Regarding the Community Grocery: I ran past yesterday and noticed them stocking shelves and coolers! Their Instagram account keeps hinting at opening "soon" and "this fall."
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The old building at 3521 Baltimore will undergo a renovation. https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... a00fa60e1e
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That building, The New Yorker Apartments, was supposed to be renovated as the affordable housing portion as part of the overall redevelopment plan at Armour and Main that was stopped by the KC Tenants group. I wonder if it will still be renovate to be affordable housing?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

FangKC wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:39 am That building, The New Yorker Apartments, was supposed to be renovated as the affordable housing portion as part of the overall redevelopment plan at Armour and Main that was stopped by the KC Tenants group. I wonder if it will still be renovate to be affordable housing?
As a historic preservation this project could even apply for and receive incentives with no affordable component. Not saying they will ask for any incentives.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Urban Cafe Opening New Location at Armour and Troost
The Urban Cafe is relocating 20 blocks farther north on Troost and will be a tenant in one of the new apartment buildings developed at the intersection of Armour by Mac Properties.
“Our new place will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner,” Clark said. “Our previous place was known for our brunch. We’re going to bring that back and hopefully have music and a full bar.”
The new Urban Cafe will be at 3240 Troost at the northeast corner of the eight-story Roxford building. It’s one of four buildings developed by Mac at the intersection as part of a 340-unit development called The Crosswalks.

Mac also has attracted a Chase bank branch and a Community Groceries store as first floor tenants in its new residential development.
The tentative plan is to be open six days a week, from about 7:30 or 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Clark anticipates opening the new Urban Cafe in March. The restaurant will have capacity for 107 patrons.
https://cityscenekc.com/urban-cafe-open ... 762KwtV2Qo