OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by KCPowercat »

The Google search I found said 170. I didn't go back through the thread and see if that's the old or newer number .
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:19 pm Westside erasure: https://www.thepitchkc.com/wheel-of-for ... ir-future/
No one whines quite like the Westside.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chingon wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:44 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:19 pm Westside erasure: https://www.thepitchkc.com/wheel-of-for ... ir-future/
If they actually wanted to prevent their neighborhood from being erased, they should be out there with pickaxes and sledge hammers tearing down the 35 viaduct.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chingon wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:44 pm
Especially when local newspaper incites them to do so. What I got out of the article was that most westsiders didn't seem to have an issue with the development until the Pitch showed up.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

GRID wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:23 pm Oh wow, it's only 140'? Yeah, that's pretty bush league lol. It's still fine though. My big issue is how to tie this area to the rest of downtown. It's not easy or fun to walk to that area.
All you have to do is come out of Union Station and turn right.

The entrance is on Broadway at Pershing, elevator down to the main level.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

grovester wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:52 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:23 pm Oh wow, it's only 140'? Yeah, that's pretty bush league lol. It's still fine though. My big issue is how to tie this area to the rest of downtown. It's not easy or fun to walk to that area.

It's going to be a lot more pleasant to walk around the garage in the lower level. That walk along Pershing is brutal and dangerous to cross Broadway even with signals.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:57 pm
grovester wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:52 pm

It's going to be a lot more pleasant to walk around the garage in the lower level. That walk along Pershing is brutal and dangerous to cross Broadway even with signals.

I'll trust Urban Lab to handle that. Only really bad during rush hours.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Urban labs can create great ideas no doubt. They can't implement them.

Broadway is always too fast and wide, it's pretty miserable at all times imo rn
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:15 pm Urban labs can create great ideas no doubt. They can't implement them.

Broadway is always too fast and wide, it's pretty miserable at all times imo rn
Yeah, that’s an issue for sure, but providing contextualization and visuals to stakeholders and public figures alike is enough to get more serious movement going. We’re doing what we can with the resources at hand, and filling an otherwise blank niche for KC, at least in our observations. It takes generations to fix cities destroyed by autocentric design though, so slow and steady is our model.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh I love what urban labs does, no disrespect there. I just can't "count" on their ideas as it depends on a stakeholder to implement them. Definitely gets us started down a better path
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

One way to make the access easier is to de-fortress the IRS facility and allow people to walk on the very nice walkways you can see on Google Maps. It would also re-integrate the IRS facility back into its surroundings. There's no reason in the world that facility should be singled out as requiring the kind of security that it has. The IRS can move their garage entrance security a little further inboard.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Highlander wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:43 pm One way to make the access easier is to de-fortress the IRS facility and allow people to walk on the very nice walkways you can see on Google Maps. It would also re-integrate the IRS facility back into its surroundings. There's no reason in the world that facility should be singled out as requiring the kind of security that it has. The IRS can move their garage entrance security a little further inboard.
I mean...I can think of a few reasons.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Lesser than the St. Louis wheel. Always #2. Being enclosed cabins will make this a popular attraction year round.Too bad all of the 4 seasons attractions in town could not be in the same area. Could always extend the Crown Center-Union Station elevated tube system by using the bowels of Union Station to get to Penway Point.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:34 pm Oh I love what urban labs does, no disrespect there. I just can't "count" on their ideas as it depends on a stakeholder to implement them. Definitely gets us started down a better path
Don’t fret, didn’t perceive it as such! If at least 2% of the ideas ever get off the ground, I’d say that’s much further than we’re we’ll be at otherwise. I am a glass half full type though.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I think the city should re-think Pershing as a shared street in front of Union Station and a much narrower complete street to the west. As has been noted, the streets are built like highways and Pershing in particular handles minimal traffic. Right size the street and expand sidewalks and bike paths, tighten up the intersections and you will be able to access Pennway Point much easier and more pleasantly on foot.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

There's probably a way to do a pedestrian underpass for the Broadway crossing if it came to it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

smh wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:00 pm I think the city should re-think Pershing as a shared street in front of Union Station and a much narrower complete street to the west. As has been noted, the streets are built like highways and Pershing in particular handles minimal traffic. Right size the street and expand sidewalks and bike paths, tighten up the intersections and you will be able to access Pennway Point much easier and more pleasantly on foot.
Damn, you are on the same wavelength as us here :lol:
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

grovester wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:50 pm There's probably a way to do a pedestrian underpass for the Broadway crossing if it came to it.
I really like this idea. It’s also be great if there was a stairs walkway down at Pershing and Broadway as part of this development.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

And it should connect to the lower level of US.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I think I remember reading that there would be a staircase or access point from the old Carter-Water's Building at Broadway & Pershing down to the ground level.

KCDowntown