OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by DColeKC »

mister816 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:32 am The Ferris wheel got in today... I didn't believe it was going to happen but, here we are
That's about the only exiting thing about this particular development. That and the neon museum could be cool at night.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:57 am
mister816 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:32 am The Ferris wheel got in today... I didn't believe it was going to happen but, here we are
That's about the only exiting thing about this particular development. That and the neon museum could be cool at night.
The Boulevard smokestack tasting room and the Wurstl sausage stand from the Grunauer folks are two things that will draw me there.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Are you saying there are parts on site right now?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:19 pm Westside erasure: https://www.thepitchkc.com/wheel-of-for ... ir-future/
Isn't this project at the end of Pershing Road and located between I-35 and Broadway? Doesn't seem like it's even part of the Westside if that is the location?

It seems that some people that the Pitch interviewed from the west side had not even heard of Pennway Point. "Richard Hernandez, current president of the Westside Neighborhood Association, was not familiar with the development when The Pitch reached out for comment." Sounds like they are trying to do a piece on West Side gentrification and kind of forced a somewhat unrelated Pennway Point development into their agenda.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:07 pm
yes... yes that is what i'm saying
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

mister816 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:31 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:07 pm
yes... yes that is what i'm saying
Two very large boom cranes have been there this week as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm actually warming to this. The neon thing is cool. The Ferris wheel still seems pretty small townie.

I don't see myself going here much but there isn't anything there now so something versus nothing and it gives activity perception to those passing on 35. If they can get the greenbelt thing going and hooked up maybe id go visit.
MidKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MidKC »

Last time I was in St. Louis they had some inner city adult rec spaces that were packed. Hopefully this fills that need somewhat.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:30 am I'm actually warming to this. The neon thing is cool. The Ferris wheel still seems pretty small townie.

I don't see myself going here much but there isn't anything there now so something versus nothing and it gives activity perception to those passing on 35. If they can get the greenbelt thing going and hooked up maybe id go visit.
Right? This spot would never turn into anything except parking or material storage.

Now, it's accessible from Broadway and will provide a nice hopscotch to BLVD for tourists from Union Station and Crown Center.

Add some ped friendly upgrades along Pershing and across Broadway and it would be a real change for the area.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

grovester wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:37 am Add some ped friendly upgrades along Pershing and across Broadway and it would be a real change for the area.
UrbanLab is working on just that idea. Stay tuned 👍🏼
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:30 am I'm actually warming to this. The neon thing is cool. The Ferris wheel still seems pretty small townie.

It seems like most cities have a wheel now, especially the bigger world cities. KC's is pretty small, but it's pretty common. I don't think it's "small townie".
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This thing is nothing like the London eye or Vegas high roller or any other big city wheels. This thing is like maybe bigger than a state fair just permanent.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:09 pm This thing is nothing like the London eye or Vegas high roller or any other big city wheels. This thing is like maybe bigger than a state fair just permanent.
Yeah, it's a smaller one for sure, is it smaller than the ones in Atlanta or Louisville or ST Louis? Those are smaller too. They need to put up a big one in Washington Sq Park. I still think it's fine and is just part of the overall entertainment package that will appeal to a specific crowd. It will also look at lot bigger than it is in that location.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:20 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:09 pm This thing is nothing like the London eye or Vegas high roller or any other big city wheels. This thing is like maybe bigger than a state fair just permanent.
Yeah, it's a very mall one for sure, is it smaller than the ones in Atlanta or Louisville or ST Louis? Those are smaller too. They need to put up a big one in Washington Sq Park. I still think it's fine and is just part of the overall entertainment package that will appeal to a specific crowd. It will also look at lot bigger than it is in that location.
It's been described as similar to St Louis one. I don't think I've seen that one. Maybe I'm not giving it enough credit. 170 feet ish
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Oh wow, it's only 140'? Yeah, that's pretty bush league lol. It's still fine though. My big issue is how to tie this area to the rest of downtown. It's not easy or fun to walk to that area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

170. St Louis is 200 it appears. At least it's inside cains, I was assuming outside seating. Guess I need to research more prior to staying opinions on these things.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It can be easy and fun to walk to with some planned improvements around the area like the Greenbelt
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:27 pm It can be easy and fun to walk to with some planned improvements around the area like the Greenbelt
Oh yeah, things can be done to make it better. KCMO needs to make urbanlab a more active entity in the planning department so the city can quickly impliment ideas from them.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So it's 170? I looked earlier in the thread and it mentions 140 feet. Either way, it will tower over I-35.