New Motto for Kansas?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

New Motto for Kansas?

Post by phxcat »

It was me who was talking about Kemper, and I guess I was part right and part wrong, (here's the link)

http://home.att.net/~kchockey/kemper.htm

I knew what I was talking about but didn't realize how it had gone down, so I guess I get an ounce of credibility while Michael still has none since all he can do to back up any of the vitriolic dribble that comes from his mouth is to call names. For instance,
Johnson Cty was still a cow dung heap the size of Topeka.
When we check the facts, Johnson County was a significantly larger dung heap than Topeka.

http://www.censusscope.org/us/s20/c91/chart_popl.html

http://www.censusscope.org/us/m8440/chart_popl.html

Of course, the claim that Johnson County is a dung heap at all could be argued with a little digging.

http://www.kgs.ukans.edu/General/Geolog ... struc.html

Someone with a little more credibility may, in fact, call it a limestone heap.
If Johnson County KS fell off the end of the planet I could care less.
You are an evil little man.
I don't want to antagonize anyone.
Yes, you do.
In that case I consider you an enemy of KCMO and know for certain that you indeed want to see this city lose any big city/Major League status we have.
And this is another example of you pretending to know anything about what you are talking about while in fact knowing nothing. You don't know me, you don't know what I want. You haven't taken the time to learn ESP so that you could read my mind and find out what I want, all you know to do is believe that the little world that exists in your mind is the only one that actually exists, and that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.

Oops- the links didn't work- but if you feel the need, you an always cut and paste.[/url]
Last edited by phxcat on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User

New Motto for Kansas?

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WILDCAT NATION
Strip mall
Strip mall

New Motto for Kansas?

Post by WILDCAT NATION »

The world would be a better place without Misery..that's a fact.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

New Motto for Kansas?

Post by Thrillcekr »

Hmmm. I think you better re-tabulate. The Missouri side is still quite a bit more populated than the Kansas side. With the northland and downtown now picking up steam again, that gap in population is about to start getting much wider also.
SWFan wrote:Considering more people in the KC metro seem to prefer living on the KS side, maybe us Missourians shouldn't make so much fun of Kansas.
ThisWasPompeii
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

New Motto for Kansas?

Post by ThisWasPompeii »

I'm new here folks, so please bear with me. I've read this thread and have a few comments.

I have lived in the metro area for almost three decades. I lived in KCMO near 36th & Main, 47th & Paseo and also on SW Trafficway. I've lived in renthouses in NKC. I briefly lived downtown in a trendy loft apartment which overlooked an unscenic parking lot. (Oh and the apartment roof leaked, and also the walls were so thin we could literally hear our neighbor turn a newspaper page.) In 1989 I bought a $60,000 house in PV, KS because Brookside was too pricey. (We looked at Waldo, but decided against it because the houses were tiny. Also, driving the Waldo neighborhood we'd see things like a chair on fire in a front yard with no one attending to it or even noticing it.)

I have now lived in PV for over 15 years, but my husband has always worked in KCMO and paid the KC earnings tax. Of course we get plenty of shit about living in KS, but we just answer: "Kansas was a free state when Missouri was a slave state." That usually shuts 'em up.

I agree with the complaints on sprawl and its hideous architecture. Talk about an oxymoron--the only place I can see a sunset is from the K-Mart parking lot in OP. I volunteer for a cat-rescue group that operates out of Metcalf South on weekends, and I'm amazed that MS is still standing. The blocky, ugly Jones Store is bad enough, but at least it's occupied. What a mess.

On the other hand, I like driving on plowed streets when it snows. I like left turn signals. I like the slow, easy traffic and big trees in PV. I like taking walks at night. A cop showed up at my door to take a report within a few minutes of my calling to report a lost wallet. (I'm not joking. I said that was unnecessary--I just wanted to give them a description in case someone turned my wallet in--but the cops were determined.)

But I'm excited about Kansas City's renaissance and I'm willing to forgo some amenities to be part of it. I've already hit the same wall that sent me scurrying from Brookside across the state line in 1989--cost. Today I looked at the Crestwood condos (the old Treadway Hall, near UMKC). The least expensive unit was $371,000, and of course there would be HOA fees on top of that.

Last week I looked at a Union Hill townhome that had peeling paint, cheap carpet and a cramped feel. The price was over $300,000. I'm not giving up on KCMO, but I have a feeling it's going to take a long time to find the right place for the right price.

Back to sprawl: I read that per capita we're number two in the nation for sprawl, with LA out in front. In Kansas City we even have urban sprawl. I once asked a former KC resident why the city has so much trouble getting anything done. He said, "State line bisects the city. And JC Nichols, in his infinite wisdom, built the Plaza several miles from downtown. The Plaza is everything that any revitalized downtown has ever wanted to be."

If only downtown, Westport and the Plaza were not...so...sprawled...

I think the new Kansas branding logo--"as big as you think"--should to be dragged to the trash. Let me get this straight--we're trying to get other Americans to think we're not really a lame state by hitting them with this totally lame slogan? (Perhaps it's some kind of postmodern thing.) I wonder how many thousands of dollars we paid a consulting firm. Reminds me of Moorhead, MN's slogan: "Ah, Moorhead."
"It's like a black mirror. You can see yourself...in both sides." ~This Is Spinal Tap
Deleted User

New Motto for Kansas?

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.