OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by TheSmokinPun »

If they're still refusing to play along, start ticketing them soon.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

Flew through the new terminal for the first time this weekend. Obviously a HUGE improvement over the old terminals. Some nitpicks:

I got a burger from the City Market Food Hall, and they were entirely out of pizza before noon on a Friday. They had one super ratty paper menu to read before ordering, but the menu screens are 25 feet to the left of the ordering station. It kind of felt like the designers of the dining space didn't think through how customers and staff would actually interact.

I did notice the bathroom soap dispensers were empty and there was a Softsoap dispenser on the counter, like someone ran to Walmart and bought one, so I wonder if there's some issue with the automatic soap dispensers that is causing them to clog up or they're difficult to refill or something.

Some updates and improvements to signage are needed. When I flew in, I was walking from gate B66. I noticed when I reached the center node, there is a sign directing people to the main terminal, but it's not facing the people coming out of the concourse, so it's not obvious to see.

Aside from the small issues, though, it's a great space. I flew through Midway and Detroit's North (Evans) Terminal, and the contrast between KCI and Midway especially was very evident. Midway was just cramped and loud, and most of the few food service options were overcrowded and understaffed. They ruined Midway when they closed Potbelly, in my opinion, and it hasn't recovered. My first trip through Detroit's North Terminal since it opened in 2008 was pretty smooth, and they have much better signage, but somehow they still don't have in-seat chargers at the gates in 2023?? I had to go find an empty gate with a seat by an outlet to top off my phone before leaving. Still a night-and-day difference from the old L.C. Smith Terminal with security in a hallway 10 feet wide, though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

cknab1 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:59 am Arrived at our great new airport 11:59pm last week. I was really surprised to see two lanes of traffic blocked by people waiting to pick up other people arriving. I had thought they had this under control. Did not see any security people trying to get drivers to move. My driver was waiting in the cell phone lot and only took about 6 minutes to get there.
I liked the way most people in their cars would not make eye contact and just stared at their phones. Like if they didn't see you, you couldn't see them.
6 minutes doesn't seem like an issue at all?
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I thought 6 minutes was great. It probably would have been less if the traffic lanes were clear. I'm really happy for Kansas City that we finally have such a great airport. I know there will be a few bugs here and there but overall man, what an improvement.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Sani wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:41 am I did notice the bathroom soap dispensers were empty and there was a Softsoap dispenser on the counter, like someone ran to Walmart and bought one, so I wonder if there's some issue with the automatic soap dispensers that is causing them to clog up or they're difficult to refill or something.
I noticed this too, and it seems to be an ongoing issue. There must be something more to it than purely staffing issues, as the restroom seemed otherwise clean and well-stocked. The tiny hand soap dispenser on the sink is not a great look...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Damn covid making people wash their hands more. Soap dispenser size was ordered in 2019.

Seems an easy fix but longer to get supplies in.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I didn't pay attention last time I was there, but lots of airports have put temporary or permanent hand sanitizer stations everywhere. It's one more thing to keep full, but people seem to like them. In a place where people are constantly talking, eating, and touching things that others have touched, people use them.

And the gross people that don't wash their hands in the bathroom, it gives them another chance.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

With regard to passenger pickup, where I live the arrivals area can be four lanes full and crazy. What we do is if our arriving passengers don't have checked bags, and in some cases even if they do, we pick them up on the departures level. It's either not very full or even if it is the cars move quicker. The arrivals level usually has lots of cars just waiting for people to get their bags from bag claim. Also, the airport police have a tendency to make you keep moving up in the arrivals lanes.

Anyway, try this trick. You'll usually get out of the airport property quicker and that's really the goal.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:41 am With regard to passenger pickup, where I live the arrivals area can be four lanes full and crazy. What we do is if our arriving passengers don't have checked bags, and in some cases even if they do, we pick them up on the departures level. It's either not very full or even if it is the cars move quicker. The arrivals level usually has lots of cars just waiting for people to get their bags from bag claim. Also, the airport police have a tendency to make you keep moving up in the arrivals lanes.

Anyway, try this trick. You'll usually get out of the airport property quicker and that's really the goal.
I did exactly this when my flight got in at 12:30 am. I just told my ride to pick me up from the departures level. Didn't have any traffic at all.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The director of St. Louis's parasitic 2nd commercial airport (BLV) is coming over to lead the Johnson County Airport Commission.

His time at BLV covers the airport's expanded commercial passanger terminal project, bid to launch international service, and expansion of industry (Boeing factory, etc)
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I don't think's he's gonna succeed if his goal is to turn OJC into the next BLV. He'll be lucky if he doesn't get drawn and quartered by suburbanites chaining each limb to their Lexus SUVs.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Sani wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:25 pm I don't think's he's gonna succeed if his goal is to turn OJC into the next BLV. He'll be lucky if he doesn't get drawn and quartered by suburbanites chaining each limb to their Lexus SUVs.
KS looked at commercial expansion around the time new KCI was struggling to move forward. Hard to see it happening but might be able to lure an Allegiant or a Frontier..

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 43299.html
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Minor annoyances flying out today:
- Walking 300 yards to get to the end of the nearly empty TSA queue.
- Waiting for every person in the queue to realize there were 3 additional, empty TSA stands (because of a poorly rotated "Wait to be called" sign).
- No glanceable departures boards (app showed I was 30 min delayed, but always good to confirm before walking to one of the furthest gates).
- Walked into Stockyards thinking I'd support the most local brewery – didn't feel much local flair, just an airport bar with a few of their drafts (at least one of which was out with a cup over the handle).
- Waited 10 min to get service at Stockyards, seats were full but servers were just talking to each other and not taking orders.
- Eventually gave order after getting a food only menu tossed at me, proceeded to watch person I just ordered from walk out of the bar + 50 yards away to pick up a BBQ order for someone else. I laughed at the 15 min ordeal, a time I thought I would be drinking a beer in – just got up and walked to my gate.
- Restroom cleanliness left something to be desired, no soap + 2/8 stalls out of order and got backed up very quickly.

Enjoyed my flight in. Hung out for 45 min at Terminal A head after grabbing coffee & 229 bus was right on time (though an annoyingly long trip as usual).
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

The departure board legibility seems like it’d be an easy fix. Just switch the UI colors to a higher contrast. I’m not sure who thought dark grey on grey was a good idea.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The TSA tensabarrier issue would be easily fixed also, if they would simply open the serpentine blocked lanes. Maybe that is the airport's job?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

herrfrank wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:23 am The TSA tensabarrier issue would be easily fixed also, if they would simply open the serpentine blocked lanes. Maybe that is the airport's job?
It is TSA's job. Most of the above complaints are really third party complaints aside from the departures board.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bspecht wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:29 pm Minor annoyances flying out today:
- Walking 300 yards to get to the end of the nearly empty TSA queue.
Yeah this is annoying. I feel like opening up the lines myself but then it would be like a federal offense.
- No glanceable departures boards (app showed I was 30 min delayed, but always good to confirm before walking to one of the furthest gates).
Not sure where you were wanting one when you thought of this. I feel like there is one at each hub of the concourses and then midway down each concourse but I can't remember for sure.
- Walked into Stockyards thinking I'd support the most local brewery – didn't feel much local flair, just an airport bar with a few of their drafts (at least one of which was out with a cup over the handle).
- Waited 10 min to get service at Stockyards, seats were full but servers were just talking to each other and not taking orders.
- Eventually gave order after getting a food only menu tossed at me, proceeded to watch person I just ordered from walk out of the bar + 50 yards away to pick up a BBQ order for someone else. I laughed at the 15 min ordeal, a time I thought I would be drinking a beer in – just got up and walked to my gate.
Given these are all really one beef concerning Stockyards I haven't had the best luck there either. typically I've just went to the bar for a drink, go to a smaller place for food.
- Restroom cleanliness left something to be desired, no soap + 2/8 stalls out of order and got backed up very quickly.
The soap dispenser whether it's empty or just doesn't work, is a common theme that needs to be addressed. Given they have added extra off the shelf soap dispensers I think it's a known problem. As far as the stalls out, never seen that but I'm always going to all gender ones now. So much more supply.
Enjoyed my flight in. Hung out for 45 min at Terminal A head after grabbing coffee & 229 bus was right on time (though an annoyingly long trip as usual).
that's awesome.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm not sure I would call myself a frequent flyer, but I fly enough that I have a couple of habits.

Don't use the restrooms at the gates, especially the closest one to the gate you arrive at. They get clobbered too often and are hard to keep clean. Keep walking and hit one of the other restrooms near the food courts, near baggage claim etc.

Don't fly during peak times (early morning for example) and if you do, use the "other" level to get picked up or dropped off. Use arrivals level in morning, departures level in the evening for example.

Park in economy where you an easily walk to both the first and last bust stop on the shuttle route. That way you have the shortest bus ride both ways. (this works well at BWI where you can park between the two stops), not sure about MCI.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Finer complaining points

Bartenders playing music on personal Bluetooth speakers.
Menus not available with drink options (grapes and grain)
Saw one half of the men's room by swa blocked for like 3 hours for cleaning
Amazon go store merchandise not priced
Unprofessional PA announcements
Amazon palm scanner blocked off at leagues "because we don't want no palm reading devices" according to bartender

Just feeling kinda amateur ish when you pay close attention.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The CLEAR staffers walking their customers up and delaying pre check line is annoying and causing some delay. I could see how it’d be an issue if it was a peak time.

I understand they are paying for special treatment. But it shouldn’t be done in a way that slows everybody else down.