OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by herrfrank »

^Hub airports in middle-sized metros like SLC (DL) DEN (UA) and CLT (AA) will always have more traffic than non-hub airports in similar or even larger metros. Hub airports do make it easier to fly nonstop to many places, particularly smaller regional markets. Charlotte is exhibit A. You can fly from that middling city to almost every large metro in the US plus about half of the small metros on the East Coast.

However, there are advantages to being a non-hub too. Fares tend to be lower, because there is a choice among the four majors/ alliances. Less airport and approach noise. A nicer airport experience overall.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Visiting friends and during the time I stood at the airport terminal curb, I saw 3 cars have drivers get out, walk around, and then eventually return to their cars to wait longer. This was with some staff patrolling the area. This was at a Top 15 busiest airport. I guess its not just a KC problem
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

langosta wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:55 am Visiting friends and during the time I stood at the airport terminal curb, I saw 3 cars have drivers get out, walk around, and then eventually return to their cars to wait longer. This was with some staff patrolling the area. This was at a Top 15 busiest airport. I guess its not just a KC problem
I was waiting to be picked up at San Jose a year or so ago and someone came up parked their car and just went into baggage claim. Eventually a cop started looking for them but it took a bit.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

More medallions saved from old terminals.

https://twitter.com/JuYeonKimTV/status/ ... 46785?s=20
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I’m so glad to hear this
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

After seeing that video on Twitter I have to wonder if there's more to the removal process than was shown? Is it just me or does dour cuts with a tile saw, four drill holes and pulling out the medallion not seem as difficult a process as it was made out to be? Maybe a lot of the medallions broke or were damaged in the process.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

kcjak wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:04 am After seeing that video on Twitter I have to wonder if there's more to the removal process than was shown? Is it just me or does dour cuts with a tile saw, four drill holes and pulling out the medallion not seem as difficult a process as it was made out to be? Maybe a lot of the medallions broke or were damaged in the process.
The video shows them cutting out the entire concrete slab. The medallion itself may only be 1-3 inchs deep. I would imagine they have to carefully carve down the concrete to get these into a more usable size.
Budgeted cost of $1,000 a medallion isnt cheap.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They are hard at work with removing B, fixing up the apron over there and also some road work, do we have any indication of what the final exit road out of the new terminal will turn into? Right now it seems temporary to account for construction and transitioning the terminals.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:12 am They are hard at work with removing B, fixing up the apron over there and also some road work, do we have any indication of what the final exit road out of the new terminal will turn into? Right now it seems temporary to account for construction and transitioning the terminals.
Pretty much if not the same as now. B garage is being saved for employee parking so all of those roads stay. I wonder if not needed to buy staff in will provide extra drivers for economy bus service.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Now certainly doesn't seem like a finished product. It works it's just a little slalom'y
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Recently flew out of MCI to New Orleans and got to experience both new terminals for the first time. Man, what a delightful upgrade for KC! Bright, spacious, packed with retail and art. Love the glass jetways. Uber dropoff went smoothly, rode home via friends car in the surface lot near garage which was very convenient. Security via TSA Pre was a non-issue, restaurants appeared staffed and relatively busy for a Thursday afternoon flight.

Bags beat me to the carousel on return, but there was a snafu in that the flight was never added to the sign at bag claim; had to to notice a few of the other folks on the flight near the correct carousel. Otherwise things went smoothly all around. There is almost definitely more walking for folks flying out of B concourse (seemingly, every traveler at MCI on WN) and not checking bags, but that's par for the course and the entire facility is still quite compact.

Frankly, the new terminal at MSY didn't really knock my socks off. It is without doubt "more impressive" architecturally with the grand hall near baggage claim, and probably wider concourses with retail in the center, but in a sort of generic mall-like way that didn't have the wow factor I expected. I do love the heavy move toward local retail establishments (like MCI) and, in general, it is a massive upgrade over the prior facility, if not a particularly "New Orleans-y" vibe.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Forgot to add, IMO one thing that should be added to MCI is a green roof along the length of the roofs next to the connector hallway. As-is, it's kind of an unfortunate view that could be instantly remedied in a very KC appropriate way with rolling prairie plantings, assuming the structure can support such. Unsure if this was ever discussed during design but it seems like relatively obvious low-hanging fruit for a LEED-certified terminal unless something specifically is preventing it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:19 am Forgot to add, IMO one thing that should be added to MCI is a green roof along the length of the roofs next to the connector hallway. As-is, it's kind of an unfortunate view that could be instantly remedied in a very KC appropriate way with rolling prairie plantings, assuming the structure can support such. Unsure if this was ever discussed during design but it seems like relatively obvious low-hanging fruit for a LEED-certified terminal unless something specifically is preventing it.
Cool idea.

On the baggage claim "missing" flight I've seen that many times. Bags are almost always beating me but not really trusting the signage, just more looking for my bag between the two. This has mostly been SWA so maybe them specific problem?
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Usually baggage related things are airline issues and not airport issues.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

New small improvement. We need a centralized announcement voice for airport related announcements (gates still will always come from gate agents).

Yesterday heard at least two all terminal announcements about items left at security and the two I remembered were very small timey and not professional. "Mary with a NJ license come on back to security to claim your property" type announcement. Cringe

Food service seemed to be doing well at a non standard eating time (3pm ish)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Soap in the bathrooms continues to run out way too often. Think they need bigger containers.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:17 am Soap in the bathrooms continues to run out way too often. Think they need bigger containers.
And I’ve noticed that their cleaning schedule has all the bathrooms being cleaned at the same time. So, one’s closed so you walk to another and it’s also being cleaned. Just seems so strange. Has happened on multiple occasions when I’m flying and in more than 2 bathrooms at a time.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:13 pm And I’ve noticed that their cleaning schedule has all the bathrooms being cleaned at the same time. So, one’s closed so you walk to another and it’s also being cleaned. Just seems so strange. Has happened on multiple occasions when I’m flying and in more than 2 bathrooms at a time.
Odd. I thought that was one benefit to having the mildly confusing "split restrooms." One side could be closed for cleaning while keeping the other side open so that passengers don't have to try to find the next closest restroom.
KC is the way to be!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:35 am Odd. I thought that was one benefit to having the mildly confusing "split restrooms." One side could be closed for cleaning while keeping the other side open so that passengers don't have to try to find the next closest restroom.
Yes, but it’s weird, they close off one side with people still inside and are cleaning both sides at the same time. So, cleaning lady is walking around with mops while you’re at the urinal. Does really bother me, but doesn’t seem the way it was supposed to be.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Arrived at our great new airport 11:59pm last week. I was really surprised to see two lanes of traffic blocked by people waiting to pick up other people arriving. I had thought they had this under control. Did not see any security people trying to get drivers to move. My driver was waiting in the cell phone lot and only took about 6 minutes to get there.
I liked the way most people in their cars would not make eye contact and just stared at their phones. Like if they didn't see you, you couldn't see them.