OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Re: OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Post by horizons82 »

Appreciate the brainstorming, but cobblestones doesn’t seem beneficial for a transit lane. With buses being used for streetcar interruptions or service supplements, you’d need something that is considerate of bus rider comfort as well.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Wouldn't using cobblestone in the track slab require re-engineering the route?

But again, I think the real delay culprit is turning and parking vehicles. It is rare that Main Street is so backed up that the outer lane moves much below a freeflow speed. It is the turns and parking that slow things down, two things that will not change without bigger changes in the corridor (i.e., getting rid of street parking).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

smh wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:37 pm Wouldn't using cobblestone in the track slab require re-engineering the route?

But again, I think the real delay culprit is turning and parking vehicles. It is rare that Main Street is so backed up that the outer lane moves much below a freeflow speed. It is the turns and parking that slow things down, two things that will not change without bigger changes in the corridor (i.e., getting rid of street parking).
I took a closer look at the 100% design drawings for the extension over lunch. TBH, very little on-street parking is maintained which I think simplifies the consideration of a dedicated lane.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Resolution to dedicate lanes to the Main Street Extension will be heard at TIO this week: https://kansascity.legistar.com/Legisla ... EAD91CDCFA

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I would like the streetcar to go faster if it has dedicated lanes
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:54 pm I would like the streetcar to go faster if it has dedicated lanes
It probably won't go faster since (a) the track geometry is already set and (b) they won't eliminate any intersections. It would be more reliable, however.

Had this been pushed for 3-4 years ago there could have been a speed improvement because the tracks could be designed to avoid mixed traffic and shift around parking and various other car shit.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:22 pm
langosta wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:54 pm I would like the streetcar to go faster if it has dedicated lanes
It probably won't go faster since (a) the track geometry is already set and (b) they won't eliminate any intersections. It would be more reliable, however.

Had this been pushed for 3-4 years ago there could have been a speed improvement because the tracks could be designed to avoid mixed traffic and shift around parking and various other car shit.
What speed was the geometry designed to
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC Streetcar Extension Reshapes Midtown Real Estate Market

https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/kc-s ... te-market/
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The dedicated lanes ordinance is being discussed today I believe
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:19 am The dedicated lanes ordinance is being discussed today I believe
Yep, passed TIO Committee very smoothly! https://clerk.kcmo.gov/LegislationDetai ... FullText=1

Tom Gerand spoke in favor. Only other comment was from new councilmember Melissa Patterson Hazley, not on TIO, about considering impacts of reducing lanes (due to her issues dropping/picking kids up at Foreign Language Academy at Main & Armour).
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

[quote=
KC Streetcar Extension Reshapes Midtown Real Estate Market

https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/kc-s ... te-market/
[/quote]

I'm really glad about and support the extension, but development is stagnant so far.
(Museum and Fidelity scratched)

KC has almost 30 blocks of free dedicated transportation halfway completed.
But only 3 new projects announced (US Bank/Katz/Trinity) with 1 under construction (Katz) and only 1 demo underway (Trinity) which could still fall through.
It is a shame that this city is so poorly ran, crime and schools being the way they are.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Would’ve had a huge chunk of Main & Armour going soon if KCT didn’t torpedo that one.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

A vastly different commercial real estate environment (interest rates, construction costs, workforce shortage, etc) is the main culprit, KC Tenants definitely didn't help.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

So what happens next now?
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:19 pm So what happens next now?
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COUNCIL OF KANSAS CITY:

Section 1. That the City Manager is hereby directed to coordinate with the Kansas City Area Transit Authority and the Kansas City Streetcar Authority to produce design alternatives for transit exclusive lanes to be considered for incorporation in the streetcar extension from Pershing Road to 51st Street and requiring a report back to City Council within 90 days
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:40 pm Would’ve had a huge chunk of Main & Armour going soon if KCT didn’t torpedo that one.
Is the US Bank @ Armour/Main project dead?
I must have missed that.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ dedicated lanes were already in the plans for the north and south end of the extension. What other places would this be possible and what would it look like? Streetcar over grass? Concrete barrier?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Jblanco wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:42 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:40 pm Would’ve had a huge chunk of Main & Armour going soon if KCT didn’t torpedo that one.
Is the US Bank @ Armour/Main project dead?
I must have missed that.
it's dead unless they get an incentive. Unfortunate given they had a very exciting project not unlike what they did in STL in the works for downtown.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:44 pm ^ dedicated lanes were already in the plans for the north and south end of the extension. What other places would this be possible and what would it look like? Streetcar over grass? Concrete barrier?
Definitely not streetcar over grass. I would not expect jersey barriers. Maybe some concrete curb stops in some locations? Otherwise, I think you're mostly looking at paint and signage which means it will all come down to enforcement. Others would know better, but there might be opportunity to add some signal priority/virtual transit lane technology...but given volumes on Main I don't know if that is warranted.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I know everyone loves to blame KCT here but a lot of the development along the original line seems to have really kicked into gear after they started operations. Once you build it, they will come type philosophy.