OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by Cratedigger »

kboish wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:02 pm Btw- they state the Ferris wheel is 180 feet in height.

This is also the first I recall mention of using the yard game area as an ice skating rink during the winter.
Which is interesting because of how close it is to Crown Center and the rink there
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

kboish wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:02 pm Btw- they state the Ferris wheel is 180 feet in height.

This is also the first I recall mention of using the yard game area as an ice skating rink during the winter.
140 ft
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

this is a very interesting project and I like how they are wanting to promote and shine KC owned brands & businesses. They seen to have some great plans and a team that is going to pull it off and make it work well. Also like how it is all private money, no incentives to get tangled up in politics. Excited what it could mean for future development in the area and bring the WestSide into the Crossroads more.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

I like everything about the project... except the ferris wheel. Looks to be coming together as an impressive beer/food garden concept! Hopeful surrounding area gets bike/ped upgrades to coincide.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This has a better image to see the neon alley.

SEE IT: First concepts released for entertainment district at Pennway Point

https://www.kctv5.com/2023/07/13/see-it ... way-point/
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Is this still Vince Bryant/3D development? I’m not sure if I’m the only one here with skepticism….
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:14 pm Is this still Vince Bryant/3D development?
Yes.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

dnweava wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:49 am

140 ft
when did they lower it to 140?
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Developers release details, renderings for Kansas City’s Pennway Point
https://youtu.be/NrNmVcuAzzc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I can't imagine any family walking the current infrastructure between US and Pennway Point. I walk this area every morning and it's pretty hostile. I rarely see anyone else, unless they're waiting for the bus. An intervention is necessary on Pershing and West Pennway!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:57 am I can't imagine any family walking the current infrastructure between US and Pennway Point. I walk this area every morning and it's pretty hostile. I rarely see anyone else, unless they're waiting for the bus. An intervention is necessary on Pershing and West Pennway!
And sort of funny this is being billed as family-friendly but what really is there to do for a family besides the ferris wheel and a quick walk past a couple of neon signs? Beer hall? Which has a better kids menu - Harpo's or Brooksider? At least the kids can drink beer for cheap at Brooksider :lol:
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:57 am I can't imagine any family walking the current infrastructure between US and Pennway Point. I walk this area every morning and it's pretty hostile. I rarely see anyone else, unless they're waiting for the bus. An intervention is necessary on Pershing and West Pennway!
I was just thinking about this the other day. Not only does Pershing need some serious pedestrian upgrades, the walk over the Pennway bridge from the Crossroads is pretty miserable as well. Surely it doesn't need to be 4 lanes wide for the entire length.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

SHPNeighbor wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:42 pm I was just thinking about this the other day. Not only does Pershing need some serious pedestrian upgrades, the walk over the Pennway bridge from the Crossroads is pretty miserable as well. Surely it doesn't need to be 4 lanes wide for the entire length.
Try biking it! Every car that zips down over that bridge makes me wince my last breath.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I get the feeling this place will be almost entirely driven to
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Neon Alley’ turning on 40 historic KC signs at Pennway Point, lighting the way to new entertainment district

https://www.startlandnews.com/2023/07/lumi-neon-alley/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I walked it a couple times during covid and then just to go over to Blvd and it's bad.

I thought the plan though was to connect a walkway from the Union Station Parking garage/lot and approach it that way versus Pershing? Or is that only if the greenway happens?
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

Last Friday, my wife and I rode the MAX, headed to La Bodega for a happy hour party. Got off at the IRS stop across from Union Station. The walk over to Pennway Point and up Summit was rough. Such an odd, disconnected area for such a development. I don't see any positive spillovers happening to the Crossroads or Westside neighborhoods.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:09 pm Last Friday, my wife and I rode the MAX, headed to La Bodega for a happy hour party. Got off at the IRS stop across from Union Station. The walk over to Pennway Point and up Summit was rough. Such an odd, disconnected area for such a development. I don't see any positive spillovers happening to the Crossroads or Westside neighborhoods.
UrbanLab will be trying to tackle this corridor next
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

The Ferris wheel got in today... I didn't believe it was going to happen but, here we are
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

mister816 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:32 am The Ferris wheel got in today... I didn't believe it was going to happen but, here we are
Tabloid trash, Tony's Kansas City, would make the populace believe that the ferris wheel was dead. Good to see it going up. When lit, it'll be a colorful addition to the skyline.