Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by chingon »

daGOAT wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:55 am Maybe you should get out of your bubble more, but I doubt you could ever go where I've been so fuck it stay ignorant.
Kiddo, I go wherever the fuck I want to go and always have.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Let's lower the temperature, and please return to discussing the Plaza.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

While I was stationed in Texas I made an excursion to the Highland Park Village in the Dallas area. It was very much reminiscent of the Plaza, and I found it to be a good comparison for stores as well. One thing I thoroughly enjoyed was the Berreta Gallery. Being one of only two in the nation, and having the prestige to accompany, it was one of the finest firearms and outdoorsman stores I’ve experienced. Something akin to that (doubtful we’d be able to get a Berreta Gallery for obvious reasons) could be a solid tenant, as the prices commanded for handcrafted, sporting firearms is absolutely astronomical. It seemed to also have a great mix of other products, watches, jackets, bags, and a myriad of small nick nacks and accessories.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:55 pm While I was stationed in Texas I made an excursion to the Highland Park Village in the Dallas area. It was very much reminiscent of the Plaza, and I found it to be a good comparison for stores as well. One thing I thoroughly enjoyed was the Berreta Gallery. Being one of only two in the nation, and having the prestige to accompany, it was one of the finest firearms and outdoorsman stores I’ve experienced. Something akin to that (doubtful we’d be able to get a Berreta Gallery for obvious reasons) could be a solid tenant, as the prices commanded for handcrafted, sporting firearms is absolutely astronomical. It seemed to also have a great mix of other products, watches, jackets, bags, and a myriad of small nick nacks and accessories.
Someone in Dallas one time told me they used the Plaza in KC as a model when designing that shopping center
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Cratedigger wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:03 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:55 pm While I was stationed in Texas I made an excursion to the Highland Park Village in the Dallas area. It was very much reminiscent of the Plaza, and I found it to be a good comparison for stores as well. One thing I thoroughly enjoyed was the Berreta Gallery. Being one of only two in the nation, and having the prestige to accompany, it was one of the finest firearms and outdoorsman stores I’ve experienced. Something akin to that (doubtful we’d be able to get a Berreta Gallery for obvious reasons) could be a solid tenant, as the prices commanded for handcrafted, sporting firearms is absolutely astronomical. It seemed to also have a great mix of other products, watches, jackets, bags, and a myriad of small nick nacks and accessories.
Someone in Dallas one time told me they used the Plaza in KC as a model when designing that shopping center
It would make sense. The designer had based it off of Seville, but I imagine a trip to or reading about the Plaza definitely had an influence
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

CZ USA is HQ'd in KC. Perhaps something along their line would do well?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

A very simple observation: I was on the plaza the other day when it was hot as balls out. It's all concrete and not much shade. Another reason for a pedestrian street with some beautiful trees would really add to the plaza.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I can buy it! Hancock Park and Beverly Hills here in LA were based on the Plaza, and the neighborhoods to the South. it honestly was the first of it's kind when it came to suburban style-living in the city or inner suburbs, which were basically small towns back then.

Fun fact: some of the first real estate developers in Hollywood and Beverly Hills were from the Kansas City-area.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

daGOAT wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:17 am
I can buy it! Hancock Park and Beverly Hills here in LA were based on the Plaza, and the neighborhoods to the South. it honestly was the first of it's kind when it came to suburban style-living in the city or inner suburbs, which were basically small towns back then.

Fun fact: some of the first real estate developers in Hollywood and Beverly Hills were from the Kansas City-area.
The streetcar network and development patterns of early LA definitely remind me of the streetcar system and the streetcar suburbs of KC, as well. There’s quite a few similarities to be drawn between the two the deeper it’s explored.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:40 am
daGOAT wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:17 am

The streetcar network and development patterns of early LA definitely remind me of the streetcar system and the streetcar suburbs of KC, as well. There’s quite a few similarities to be drawn between the two the deeper it’s explored.
Yeah, it's surprising but both are very similar in age and development, albeit different scales, and it shows. KC just had the edge up till WWI when Hollywood took off and was maybe the bigger innovator even when Los Angeles rapidly grew in the 1920's. There's a certain romanaticism to both cities and the topography is similar, minus the mountains and foothills. Architectuarally they are vboth very diverse and show affections to art deco and moorish architecture. It's intrigiung because the two cities are quite similar despite being totally different. They also happen to be my two fav. cities in the USA.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Random Plaza updates:

- T-Mobile closed (Broadway by Tumi)
- Himiway e-bike dealer opening soon (Nichols by Tivol; former Archive space)
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

msmith011 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:54 am Random Plaza updates:

That's interesting - An ebike dealer on the plaza. Are they keeping their Oak Park location as well or moving?
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:40 pm
msmith011 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:54 am Random Plaza updates:

That's interesting - An ebike dealer on the plaza. Are they keeping their Oak Park location as well or moving?
I believe them using the old Brookstone was just a test space as it’s becoming Gearhead Outfitters. They’ve done a decent job of getting quality stores in Oak Park as of late. The long vacant Crabtree & Evelyn, Limited, Wetseal, Crazy 8, Gordon’s Jewelers, and Lady Foot Locker spaces have all been filled with named tenants. Meanwhile, Independence Center is getting a Rainbow store in the old Sephora, but Maurices, GameStop, Old Navy, Panda Express, and Tilly’s have closed since Macy’s left.

I wonder what kind of stores the Plaza should even be trying to attract at this point. Nike and Psycho Bunny are solid lands and Levis will if that ever actually happens. It’s a shame that Taubman/Macerich screwed up GAP relocating a few years ago because I live a lot closer to the Plaza than Leawood. I noticed that Brooks Brothers has already closed its newly relocated store at Plaza Frontenac in St. Louis and that Kate Spade has closed both their Plaza Frontenac and West County Center stores.

Old Navy on the Plaza has become very sparse over the last year and they’ve moved around a lot of fixtures to try and mask that. It’s sad because it was one of the better locations to browse up through late 2021. A friend who works for H&M and serves our region used to work for GAP Inc and is going to do some digging. Some of the merchandise there is so old that it has been pulled from the app. The only reason I’m even concerned is because they pulled the plug on Independence Center with little warning and the employees at Zona Rosa mentioned that they heard that they’re scouting for another location in the Northland that better fits the companies current model. There are a few stores online about GAP Inc. wanting to push at least 2/4 of the nameplates off-mall. Athleta and Banana Republic seem to be the two they don’t mind keeping, but Banana Republic is a zombie brand at this point anyways.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I don't know if anyone has posted a pic of the jack henry building, but here you go

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Nice - didn't realize they had put the puttery signage up
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:19 pm I don't know if anyone has posted a pic of the jack henry building, but here you go

So I go to that gym and love it. It usually has a pretty good crowd and I've noticed folks from the neighborhood walking there too. I think its been a great addition. I agree there has been a decline regarding the plaza at the same time I think it is partially overblown if that makes sense? There are still some very cool things about the plaza.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

empires228 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:03 pm Nike and Psycho Bunny are solid lands and Levis will if that ever actually happens.
The Levis plan has been cancelled per the online filing, unfortunately. It would have been an awesome addition.

The number of vacant storefronts, particularly in prime corner locations along Nichols, absolutely blows my mind (Helzberg, Victoria's Secret, Michael Kors). I'd like to think Taubman/Macerich is in negotiations with retailers but who knows.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That Jack Henry building is hideous. Looks like something from the Abnos school of design.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

moderne wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:17 pm That Jack Henry building is hideous. Looks like something from the Abnos school of design.
I thought maybe it wasn't finished? But the signage is up, suggesting that look is intentional. Grim.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

It looks like a strip-mall/lifestyle center butchery of the classic Plaza buildings