Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by kboish »

One of the things holding KC back is the unwillingness to pool resources. In this and many other areas
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

It's really a shame we won't get something like San Diegos Park. Right field is literally built around an old warehouse. If that was hear it would get torn down for some cookie cutter bullshit that won't last for more than a few decades.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Metro wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:09 pm It's really a shame we won't get something like San Diegos Park. Right field is literally built around an old warehouse. If that was hear it would get torn down for some cookie cutter bullshit that won't last for more than a few decades.
Disagree (minus the warehouse) I think Petco is the closest comp for what ours will end up
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Metro wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:09 pm It's really a shame we won't get something like San Diegos Park. Right field is literally built around an old warehouse. If that was hear it would get torn down for some cookie cutter bullshit that won't last for more than a few decades.
Have you missed the dozens of old renovated buildings here
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Saw on Twitter that John Sherman is planning on meeting with the media on Thursday.

KCDowntown
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

From the Royals news release: "Sherman will take questions on any topics, including the ownership group's exploration for the site of the Royals next ballpark and entertainment district."
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCDowntown wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:49 am Saw on Twitter that John Sherman is planning on meeting with the media on Thursday.

KCDowntown
I hope both of them are able to ask some good questions. /s
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

You have to wonder if all the pressure in the media from Mayor Q recently about “they’re not saying anything and it’s annoying” is finally forcing Sherman out to speak.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

VanTrust move primes KC's East Village for potential sale as Royals downtown ballpark

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... eball.html
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:02 am
Have you missed the dozens of old renovated buildings here
Torn down way more than we've renovated. KC loves to tear down old buildings just look at the plaza as one example.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

The John Sherman press conference is going much worse for them than expected.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

April vote for Sales Tax extension. Sherman mentioned the Chiefs being a part of the vote

$300-$350M from Jackson County 3/8th sales tax
Undisclosed amount from state of MO but the Royals have had discussions with Gov. Parson
$1B from private financing

Mentioned that the EV district would be more vertical. NKC site more horizontal and focused on extending the idea of downtown north of the river. Regardless of site, Royals will play at the K for 4-5 more seasons and a new stadium wouldn't be ready until 2027/2028
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Can somebody walk me through the economics of abandoning the Jackson Co. money? Or does this remain a gambit to make sure JaCo voters renew the tax so as to not "lose" the Royals.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

smh wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:33 am Can somebody walk me through the economics of abandoning the Jackson Co. money? Or does this remain a gambit to make sure JaCo voters renew the tax so as to not "lose" the Royals.
I mean it's either the riskiest move they could make by alienating KC/Jackson County, or it really was just a ploy all along to change the discussion from "Either stay at the K or move downtown" to "Downtown or NKC, the K is gone." So there's that, but the NKC deal is just the most insane idea ever.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:39 am
smh wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:33 am Can somebody walk me through the economics of abandoning the Jackson Co. money? Or does this remain a gambit to make sure JaCo voters renew the tax so as to not "lose" the Royals.
I mean it's either the riskiest move they could make by alienating KC/Jackson County, or it really was just a ploy all along to change the discussion from "Either stay at the K or move downtown" to "Downtown or NKC, the K is gone." So there's that, but the NKC deal is just the most insane idea ever.
Related, what was the point of today's press conference. Was the tax vote the only piece of "new" information?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Common opinion is nkc is only a backup plan if jaxco doesn't come through on the vote
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:53 am
Common opinion is nkc is only a backup plan if jaxco doesn't come through on the vote
These votes always use scare tactics to both get out the vote and get it passed. In the past, it's been threats to go to Kansas. My guess is they don't want to even threaten to move across the state line with the fear that Missouri will just call their bluff. There definitely seems to be a, "Make a threat to move to Kansas and we're done!" vibe. Soooo, the NKC card is the only one they have that doesn't poison the well. It's BS though. Never happen.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Seems correct. They don't have much to stand on at the state level given the chiefs are happy at TSC. Also going to help them get the vote
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

A Freudian slip that Sherman made was “NKC is just an alternative…but ah also East Village is an alternative too!”

Yeah. We know lol.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Cratedigger wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:16 am April vote for Sales Tax extension. Sherman mentioned the Chiefs being a part of the vote

$300-$350M from Jackson County 3/8th sales tax
Undisclosed amount from state of MO but the Royals have had discussions with Gov. Parson
$1B from private financing

Mentioned that the EV district would be more vertical. NKC site more horizontal and focused on extending the idea of downtown north of the river. Regardless of site, Royals will play at the K for 4-5 more seasons and a new stadium wouldn't be ready until 2027/2028
The more I think about the NKC site, the more I hate it. It just doesn't fit into a greater downtown KC scheme in any way. It's too far away, separated by significant extant industrial properties with no pedestrian access across the Missouri River. If we had something like Minneapolis has like the Stone Arch Bridge and some kind of commercial corridor through the industrial area, it might be doable but none of that exists in KC. (https://www.minneapolisparks.org/parks- ... ch_bridge/)

Furthermore, the River Market, the only really viable part of downtown that has reached the Missouri River (well almost) is opposite the river from forlorn Harlem. Berkeley waterfront is opposite the Ingredion Plant and then a wide area of RR marshalling yards before even reaching the near mile of industrial infrastructure before reaching DT NKC. There's just nothing that seamless between NKC and DTKC. The area is somewhere you traverse in an automobile or at the very least a streetcar. I don't ever see a pedestrian corridor.

I get the strategy in keeping NKC in the plans but I hope that's only a strategy.