Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I swear the median age of this board has to be like 64

“Damn kids these days!”
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:46 am I swear the median age of this board has to be like 64

“Damn kids these days!”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S8VPVg ... lerHolland
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:16 am
I'm so sick of the younger urban crowd being totally lawless and disrespectful in this country though. One of my biggest pet peeves in DC is how people jump the turnstiles at metro stations. It's so minor yet so childish, immature and just basically shows how people just do not care bout following any rules anymore. You just don't see that in other countries to such a degree.
I mean this organization is literally a freeriding fund

I learned about it from this freakonomics podcast
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

langosta wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:28 am You have not spent much time in Europe! The youths are all the same no matter where you go. I think comparatively, maybe even worse in Europe
Unless this is a recent development, that's not something I've ever seen in Europe. I lived 11 years in Europe and travelled extensively and never saw any issues with unruly youths except for rare instances with soccer fans (and that included fans of all ages). In fact, I never really felt uncomfortable in terms of becoming the victim of physical violence while in Europe. I don't generally feel threatened in the US either but I'm far more aware of my surroundings here when out and about. I just witnessed physical violence against a beggar in the Crossroads over the weekend by several kids.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:16 am This seems to be a worse problem in KC than many other cities. Before people go off on me, many other cities have much worse problems....
I think it seems worse in KC because KC only has a few areas in the city to go, Plaza etc. so you just see it more.
Anyway, the plaza, sometimes Crown Center, and last time I was in town, the area around Sprint Center can be overrun by urban teens and pre teens. I'm really surprised this has not become a problem on the streetcar, but once the line is much longer, it might become a problem.
I'm so sick of the younger urban crowd being totally lawless and disrespectful in this country though. One of my biggest pet peeves in DC is how people jump the turnstiles at metro stations. It's so minor yet so childish, immature and just basically shows how people just do not care bout following any rules anymore. You just don't see that in other countries to such a degree.

America's poverty/uneducated population (both urban and rural) is going to be what ends us. We have so much now.
BULLSH.....
You are deliberately lying in your last sentence? This does NOT happen in "rural" populations.
You know the truth but like everyone else you stick your head in the sand and tote the party line.
The emperor has no clothes, but you and every other progressive Democrat will never admit it.

These crimes are all out in the open, we see it in numerous videos every day.
The stats are smeared all over your face like rotten eggs.
Your face and every other Democrat.
Black crime is an epidemic, worse than 100 covids. Admit it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/viole ... &ei=9&rc=1

^^^^ THIS and a million similar crimes is why you people are all bemoaning the suburban growth and the reason KC is light years behind other cities.

KC is Detroit, STL, Memphis, CLE.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:47 pm
langosta wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:28 am You have not spent much time in Europe! The youths are all the same no matter where you go. I think comparatively, maybe even worse in Europe
Unless this is a recent development, that's not something I've ever seen in Europe. I lived 11 years in Europe and travelled extensively and never saw any issues with unruly youths except for rare instances with soccer fans (and that included fans of all ages). In fact, I never really felt uncomfortable in terms of becoming the victim of physical violence while in Europe. I don't generally feel threatened in the US either but I'm far more aware of my surroundings here when out and about. I just witnessed physical violence against a beggar in the Crossroads over the weekend by several kids.
Exactly and yes, I have been all over major cities in Europe and the USA. There is absolutely a difference and it doesn't take long to see it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Jblanco wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:58 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:16 am This seems to be a worse problem in KC than many other cities. Before people go off on me, many other cities have much worse problems....
I think it seems worse in KC because KC only has a few areas in the city to go, Plaza etc. so you just see it more.
Anyway, the plaza, sometimes Crown Center, and last time I was in town, the area around Sprint Center can be overrun by urban teens and pre teens. I'm really surprised this has not become a problem on the streetcar, but once the line is much longer, it might become a problem.

America's poverty/uneducated population (both urban and rural) is going to be what ends us. We have so much now.
BULLSH.....
You are deliberately lying in your last sentence? This does NOT happen in "rural" populations.
You know the truth but like everyone else you stick your head in the sand and tote the party line.
The emperor has no clothes, but you and every other progressive Democrat will never admit it.

These crimes are all out in the open, we see it in numerous videos every day.
The stats are smeared all over your face like rotten eggs.
Your face and every other Democrat.
Black crime is an epidemic, worse than 100 covids. Admit it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/viole ... &ei=9&rc=1

^^^^ THIS and a million similar crimes is why you people are all bemoaning the suburban growth and the reason KC is light years behind other cities.

KC is Detroit, STL, Memphis, CLE.
You are nuts. Small town America is full of drugs and crime. I mean just drive into any small town and most are just mini ghettos.

Violent crime is worse in urban areas, but crime in general is very high in high poverty rural areas. The "red" states, since you want to be political, have just as much or more crime per capita than blue states and almost always have higher poverty and lower education rates.

The USA has an "uneducated" problem. The uneducated part of our population is in both central cities and rural areas. This uneducated population is high poverty, high drug use, low income, short life span etc. As far as politics, they both vote in the extremists. The far right bible thumping trump and gun loving, immigration hating crowd of rural America votes in morons. The cop hating, don't take any self accountability everything is about race and sexual orientation crowd also votes in morons. The two extremes are winning.

Meanwhile any political candidate that just wants to improve our terrible infrastructure, fund education, health care etc never gets anywhere.

You don't know me. I want mass shootings to stop and national health care and all rights for everybody regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, police reform, make companies pay taxes etc), but I also want people to take self responsibility for their actions, obey basic laws of a civilized society, and for people to stop blaming everybody else for their problems that they create and maintain.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:14 pm You are nuts. Small town America is full of drugs and crime.
I mean just drive into any small town and most are just mini ghettos.
You are brain dead and know nothing about small towns.
"Some" petty crime and drug use happens in small towns, so what?

NO ONE IS SHOOTING multiple PEOPLE FOR NO REASON OR PHYSICALLY ASSAULTING INNOCENT STRANGERS in restaurants JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE.
GRID wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:14 pm Violent crime is worse in urban areas, but crime in general is very high in high poverty rural areas. The "red" states, since you want to be political, have just as much or more crime per capita than blue states and almost always have higher poverty and lower education rates.
blah blah blah.... that is a pitiful attempt to distract from your progressive insanity.
Meanwhile Biden claims that "white supremacy" is "the biggest threat.

Juneteenth Celebrations Leave at Least 12 Dead, More Than 100 Injured
https://youtu.be/w0D_kdiG4Uk
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I clicked on that video and started reading the comments and wow. So many full blown racists. Is this the type of people you are around and want to be associated with?

I live in the DC area. There are a LOT of black people here. Everywhere you go. Entire suburbs of mostly blacks. The mall I shop at is a really nice mall and its majority black. The vast majority of blacks are totally normal and fine here. But most of them are educated middle and upper middle class. Yet the poor parts of the historic black inner cities of DC and Baltimore struggle.

I'm telling you, it's an education issue. And rural America might not be nearly as dramatic, but again the poverty and crime and drugs and stupidity is there as well for the same reasons in both black or white communities. Have you ever watched Live PD / On Patrol? Color has nothing to do with it. It's the uneducated demographic of this country.

Also, while I still say people have to take responsibility for their own actions, America created these violent ghettos and now after generations of poverty in these inner cities, it's gotten bad I agree. But we did this to ourselves and we have not found a way to correct a problem that was created by white people. Think about what our cities (and even the fed government) did to our black communities and fast forward to today. From redlining to education to jobs. What did we expect?

The question is will we ever stop ignoring the messes we made by living in places like Overland Park and pretending like blacks created all their own problems or will America actually look itself in the eye and decide to go back into our cities and these communities and rebuild and re-integrate them. It will be hard because now people have lived in generations of urban poverty. But shaming people on social media and putting down an entire race isn't the answer either.

"WE" created this mess. It's a result of racism, capitalism, white flight etc. Now we must either live with it or help fix it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:34 pm

I'm telling you, it's an education issue. And rural America might not be nearly as dramatic, but again the poverty and crime and drugs and stupidity is there as well for the same reasons in both black or white communities. Have you ever watched Live PD / On Patrol? Color has nothing to do with it. It's the uneducated demographic of this country.
Education AND Income disparity (not to venture even further off topic).

The US ranks up with its western counterparts in most categories but is decidedly third world in one category. And that category is pretty interwoven with education but even if we all had college degrees in practical fields and were all great students, I suspect our economic system would still produce something close to the income inequality we have now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... e_equality
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:50 pm
GRID wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:34 pm

Education AND Income disparity (not to venture even further off topic).

The US ranks up with its western counterparts in most categories but is decidedly third world in one category. And that category is pretty interwoven with education but even if we all had college degrees in practical fields and were all great students, I suspect our economic system would still produce something close to the income inequality we have now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... e_equality
Totally agree. That's basically what I meant by our economic and capitalism society has also created a lot of these problems.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Did anyone see this story about how a black owner won't rent out her Airbnb to black guests anymore because they basically trash the place and are rude
https://www.miamiherald.com/detour/arti ... 06406.html

I honestly think in 5 years when the courts overturn more civil liberties that businesses will eventually say no blacks allowed. Republicans will have no answers and basically say the business can do whatever they want.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Is there a single black person active on this board
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Not true
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:47 pm Is there a single black person active on this board
I recall a claim of being black, but it was quickly debunked.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Back on topic?

I am a little more sympathetic to the idea that there are very few places for teens to hangout in a positive way these days. Even on the Plaza...there is no actual plaza.

I'd do a couple things to help ameliorate the issue a little (while recognizing that, for the reasons stated by Highlander and GRID, above, we can really only do so much without significant national reforms):

- Add more residences to the Plaza. Doing this would generate more pedestrian activity at all hours. Eyes on the street, etc.
- Pedestrianize Nichols Road. Instantly create a large public space to give everyone a little more breathing room. Invite food trucks/carts to populate the middle and almost overnight you have a spot where anyone can spend time and afford something to eat, etc.

The overall goal is to enhance the positive street activities so as to overwhelm or absorb the anti-social behaviors. It's not perfect, but it would (in my opinion) create a lot of positive momentum.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

smh wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:18 am
- Pedestrianize Nichols Road. Instantly create a large public space to give everyone a little more breathing room. Invite food trucks/carts to populate the middle and almost overnight you have a spot where anyone can spend time and afford something to eat, etc.
Not sure why this has never happened. Even Lucas pointed out the benefits last summer after the Plaza Art Fair. It would be a relatively low cost improvement and people on this forum have shown ways it could happen without impacting access to the Plaza parking garages. What is the hold up? The city? The Plaza owners? General inertia?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:49 am
Not sure why this has never happened. Even Lucas pointed out the benefits last summer after the Plaza Art Fair. It would be a relatively low cost improvement and people on this forum have shown ways it could happen without impacting access to the Plaza parking garages. What is the hold up? The city? The Plaza owners? General inertia?
I'd guess all of the above. If City prioritized, could probably bring the Plaza owners along before the ship sailed.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:49 am
I know the city has had internal discussions about what this would look like. Not sure what the status is now though.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Get some of those car-racing people to race down Nichols Road regularly. Then Nichols will get closed down just like Cordish does with Grand.