Blue River Road

Transportation topics in KC
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Blue River Road

Post by Highlander »

What is the story on Blue River Road? Living in the south part of KC and wanting to go to Swope Park last week to buy tickets at the Starlight box office I thought I'd take the scenic route up Blue River Road. It appears the road has been permanently abandoned now. It was closed north of Red Bridge and when I crossed it again at Grandview Road/Prospect, it was closed and reverting back to its natural state. Is it closed north of 87th also? Seems weird that the city would just abandon a road like that. It was a nice rather scenic way of traversing the south part of the city.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Blue River Road

Post by kboish »

The river bank collapsed on part of the road. Possibly around a bridge. I believe the cost estimates to fix it were very expensive- something like $10+ million.

I don’t think the council felt justified spending that kind of money on a sparsely used, leisure cruising road through a park when the city has so many other higher use/priority infrastructure that needs fixing. I agree it’s a bummer it’s closed, but very much agree we have bigger needs.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Blue River Road

Post by shinatoo »

Great biking connection from Trolly Track to the Red Bridge area. Please bring a friend though, it's a bit like the set of The Walking Dead.