Sporting Kansas City

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Sporting Kansas City

Post by im2kull »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:40 am They had nowhere else to go at the time, never forget that. Every other site had fallen apart. It was Legends or relocation.
I mean, they could have stayed with the plan and built at the Bannister Mall / Cerner site. They reneged on that plan. Nobody else. The site was available, and controlled by them.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Banister hadn't fallen apart.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

4-0 loss to St Louis and just terrible play. Probably time for a total team makeover, perhaps to include Peter Vermes.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Yikes last night. Went to the new STL stadium. Stadium structure is not the best but nice amenities like video screens make up for it. Stadium is decidedly anti urban and not particularly pedestrian friendly.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

langosta wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:40 pm Yikes last night. Went to the new STL stadium. Stadium structure is not the best but nice amenities like video screens make up for it. Stadium is decidedly anti urban and not particularly pedestrian friendly.

lol i havent been yet. stadiums are generally “pedestrian unfriendly” in the jane jacobs sense but what makes it worse than say, your average MLS stadium?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

that was actually hard to watch last night. i hope sporting kc gets a complete overhaul and comes back strong.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

warwickland wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:47 pm
langosta wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 2:40 pm Yikes last night. Went to the new STL stadium. Stadium structure is not the best but nice amenities like video screens make up for it. Stadium is decidedly anti urban and not particularly pedestrian friendly.

lol i havent been yet. stadiums are generally “pedestrian unfriendly” in the jane jacobs sense but what makes it worse than say, your average MLS stadium?
The STL stadium was getting pushed hard as an urban stadium/oasis but it’s just as bad if not worse.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:59 pm

The STL stadium was getting pushed hard as an urban stadium/oasis but it’s just as bad if not worse.
What did you see that was wrong with it?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

:x
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:26 pm
langosta wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:59 pm

What did you see that was wrong with it?
Large set backs, the east side sits well above street level, set backs are large enough that some kind of street facing retail could have happened. The training center is across the street and surrounded by fences, etc.

Stadium itself is nothing special. Concourses are way too small and food & beverage did not feel as plentiful as other stadium. Color palette of the stadium was meh.

I think the stadium will be quick to loose it’s luster but for now it’s new and shiny. Walkable to LRT and Union Station development. The hoards of suburban fans were able to find their way on the walk 2,000’ from Train to the Stadium despite multiple turns and a 90% non pedestrian friendly streetscape. That is roughly the distance from closest streetcar station to the East Village. Their dedicated ROW LRT had a line to get back on after the game - KC needs to invest in more rail to effectively move visitors into and out of games at downtown stadiums.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^Compared to what the site was before, City SC's stadium is a massive improvement and a damn good urban stadium.

The east setback (from 20th) was mandated as that plaza is a public park. It could've only been developed on if a citywide vote were taken. Additionally, a natural spring was found on the eastern side, likely leading to the above street level plaza (elevation changes likely played the biggest role though). The south setback, from Market Street, is included for the Brickline Greenway and lush landscaping. The worst side of the stadium is Olive Street.

The stadium and training facility lie within what was the largest remnant of the unbuilt Highway 755 (North-South Distributor). While I think the practice fields are a waste of space, it's far better than a surface parking lot and much more economical for the team.

If the stadium still isn't urban enough, wait a few years. There are several projects planned nearby that'll take a quiet part of downtown and turn it into one of most vibrant. The largest of which, the Butler Brothers Building redevelopment, is nearing completion.

The urban condition City SC's stadium is in is infinitely more favorable to pedestrians than Children's Mercy Park and offers game attendees a multi-modal option to get there and offers many bars to hang out at before and after games. We can debate this any day but saying "The STL stadium was getting pushed hard as an urban stadium/oasis but it’s just as bad if not worse" is nothing short of disingenuous and screams jealously.

KC will have its day to shine but for now, let's take notes on how City SC did their Stadium and take notes on what can be improved.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I don’t know if there are any good take aways other than downtown sports = nice. If there was a vote to move that stadium to KC I would vote no.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

langosta wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:00 am I don’t know if there are any good take aways other than downtown sports = nice. If there was a vote to move that stadium to KC I would vote no.
Urban soccer is super fun. Some of the best experiences I've had in my life. Having supporters pour into a city from a different club or country is amazing.

It's just that we don't build urban stadiums and require too much parking.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I still don’t understand the appeal of an Urban MLS stadium.
An avg 19,000 attendance for 17 days of activation plus a handful of other cup games and concerts. So let’s say a comfortable 30 events. How does that somehow justify the land area taken up in an urban area? I don’t see this as being much different than an urban NFL stadium honestly. Can someone explain a benefit that I might be missing?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:11 am
langosta wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:00 am I don’t know if there are any good take aways other than downtown sports = nice. If there was a vote to move that stadium to KC I would vote no.
Urban soccer is super fun. Some of the best experiences I've had in my life. Having supporters pour into a city from a different club or country is amazing.

It's just that we don't build urban stadiums and require too much parking.
Exactly what I think for the most part. I want downtown soccer but if it’s the STL stadium we may as well not bother with it.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:47 am I still don’t understand the appeal of an Urban MLS stadium.
An avg 19,000 attendance for 17 days of activation plus a handful of other cup games and concerts. So let’s say a comfortable 30 events. How does that somehow justify the land area taken up in an urban area? I don’t see this as being much different than an urban NFL stadium honestly. Can someone explain a benefit that I might be missing?
The stadium doesn’t have to be anti urban. Retail and restaurants could be done at street level so that they are open outward on non-game days.

Soccer fans are the most urbanist of the US sports leagues as it tends to be younger/more liberal audience. You can get more stay before/after game in the nearby area vibes.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:47 am I still don’t understand the appeal of an Urban MLS stadium.
At least in this specific case, the "land taken up" was literally an unused freeway trench and ramp system. Walking around the City SC stadium/complex today is such a night and day experience from the scar that existed there previously that IMO it deserves the accolades.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

rxlexi wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:40 am
At least in this specific case, the "land taken up" was literally an unused freeway trench and ramp system. Walking around the City SC stadium/complex today is such a night and day experience from the scar that existed there previously that IMO it deserves the accolades.
Good point.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:47 am An avg 19,000 attendance for 17 days of activation plus a handful of other cup games and concerts. So let’s say a comfortable 30 events. How does that somehow justify the land area taken up in an urban area?
You've just described the T-Mobile Center.
KC is the way to be!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

langosta wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:18 am
The stadium doesn’t have to be anti urban. Retail and restaurants could be done at street level so that they are open outward on non-game days.

Soccer fans are the most urbanist of the US sports leagues as it tends to be younger/more liberal audience. You can get more stay before/after game in the nearby area vibes.
Portland Timbers stadium isn't necessarily "urban" but it's closely connected to their downtown and has great activity around it. It was originally a minor league baseball stadium converted for MLS. I think part of the problem with modern stadiums in urban centers is the scale of the build vs older stadiums. Stadiums now don't have to be massively tall with their back to the surrounding neighborhood. MLS stadiums especially can be more connected because the entire fieldfront is prime location vs. 50 yard line, center court, homeplate for other sports. Build a new SKC field downtown to be the first "throwback"-type stadium instead of the ultramodern steel and glass with fins and spinners like you have now in the league. Simple. Connected to the immediate surrounding neighborhood. Small and intimate.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AllThingsKC wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:11 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:47 am An avg 19,000 attendance for 17 days of activation plus a handful of other cup games and concerts. So let’s say a comfortable 30 events. How does that somehow justify the land area taken up in an urban area?
You've just described the T-Mobile Center.
The T-Mobile center hosts over 100 events annually. They have more activation than a downtown stadium for a World Series team would have. Not to mention the lack of a major sports tenant keeps it active more often than similar sized venues in other cities.