OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by langosta »

Baggage drop is up to the airline.

I have yet to experience security longer than 10 minutes. I primarily fly AM rush and PM rush hours. Roughly once per week
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I was there at 5 am today and all lanes were open, took longer to walk the hamster maze than it took to get through security. Had to slum it in regular TSA since I was with family.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:41 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:46 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:25 pm
We stood in security lines for roughly 30 minutes on Thursday lunchtime to get into departures area.

Coming back last night after leaving economy parking we drove out down an exit road and got stuck in a queue of vehicles at the payment barriers/window to leave for half an hour again.

Staffing clearly looks like an issue from what I can see.
Wow never heard the security line bring anything but empty. I'd give you a protip to use the automated machine exit when you are leaving. Just have to pay by credit card but there is never anyone in line
Not true. I have specifically mentioned it in this very thread that the security line is getting routinely extra long because of their refusal to open up additional screening points. I've seen it at nearly an hour long, along with an excessively long baggage drop line.
100% BS on an hour long security line wait. That would have the local media in a frenzy. Airline drop I have no idea, talk to your airline about that. I've never waited more than 5 minutes to drop a bag.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

They track the security times. I’m sure if someone asks nicely they’ll say the most backed up they’ve seen it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

at the airport now, arrived around 9am. parked in economy C lot and the shuttle came within 2 minutes. saw multiple busses roving the A and C lots. TSA pre-check security took at most 4 min. regular security had maybe 40 people in line and they had several checkpoints open so it was moving quickly. place looks great! i am sure if i look hard enough i can find things to criticize but this is night / day with the old airport and i'm thrilled to be sitting in a normal airport in KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

chrizow wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:47 am at the airport now, arrived around 9am. parked in economy C lot and the shuttle came within 2 minutes. saw multiple busses roving the A and C lots. TSA pre-check security took at most 4 min. regular security had maybe 40 people in line and they had several checkpoints open so it was moving quickly. place looks great! i am sure if i look hard enough i can find things to criticize but this is night / day with the old airport and i'm thrilled to be sitting in a normal airport in KC.
That's what I keep telling people. yeah it's a "normal" airport but based on what we came from it feels like an awakening. I still am starstruck getting off a plane and remembering this is now our airport.
dev49
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dev49 »

Has anyone heard anything more about a 2nd lounge. Supposedly it was out to bid months ago at this point. It’s been all crickets
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

dev49 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:52 am Has anyone heard anything more about a 2nd lounge. Supposedly it was out to bid months ago at this point. It’s been all crickets
Nothing. Hints of an Escape Lounge got me excited but starting to think it's not happening.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:39 am
dev49 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:52 am Has anyone heard anything more about a 2nd lounge. Supposedly it was out to bid months ago at this point. It’s been all crickets
Nothing. Hints of an Escape Lounge got me excited but starting to think it's not happening.
Could be that they’re waiting for summer numbers for the airport, then they might make a decision from there?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The problem with escape is that there is a lot of overlap with delta. The amount of people that fly delta and have an amex card is high.

I know with escape lounges, you can buy your way in. But we still don't have a lot of connecting traffic. How many people flying southwest are going to get to the airport early to pay to sit in a lounge?

A priority pass lounge would open it up to a wider audience for free while still letting people buy in. Even though they tend to be very shit when compared to escape or delta.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've been known to jump into a lounge for just five minutes to grab a drink and a water and a snack, if I can get in for free of course
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:27 am The problem with escape is that there is a lot of overlap with delta. The amount of people that fly delta and have an amex card is high.

I know with escape lounges, you can buy your way in. But we still don't have a lot of connecting traffic. How many people flying southwest are going to get to the airport early to pay to sit in a lounge?

A priority pass lounge would open it up to a wider audience for free while still letting people buy in. Even though they tend to be very shit when compared to escape or delta.
I honestly have had better experiences in the PP lounges in the States than Escape one’s. Could just be the ones I’ve hit but who knows.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:44 am
WoodDraw wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:27 am The problem with escape is that there is a lot of overlap with delta. The amount of people that fly delta and have an amex card is high.

I honestly have had better experiences in the PP lounges in the States than Escape one’s. Could just be the ones I’ve hit but who knows.
They're all a bit hit and miss. Amex has renovated a few since getting involved. Priority pass is all across from good to why.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:38 am I've been known to jump into a lounge for just five minutes to grab a drink and a water and a snack, if I can get in for free of course
For sure. Grabbing a bottle of water and a bag of chips is perfect. That's why I think it should be priority pass and not amex.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Delta lounge in ATL has a fast grab section outside the entrance. I assume for just this reason.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

shinatoo wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 7:54 pm Delta lounge in ATL has a fast grab section outside the entrance. I assume for just this reason.
Amex has too at several airports. They're nice.

Sorry, maybe I'm not being clear. The reasonI think priority pass is better is because lots of people get it through a variety of credit cards.

I think the lounge needs a high level of people using it. If you have an escape lounge only amex holders get in free. A lot of amex holders fly delta and also get free access to Delta lounges. They're nicer than escape lounges.

KC doesn't get much connecting traffic. So a club with a big base of users that can get in already will help it to be of a decent quality.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I arrived around midnight last night and the arrivals line was back past Paris Street. The terminal was full of cars parked in the two arrival lanes—most with their hazards on. One guy managing the crosswalk and that was it. They HAVE to get this figured out.

Also, talked to a cashier in short-term parking. She said the economy lots have the new systems ticket vendor but they haven't installed the new systems processing at the pay booths, so the cashiers are having to calculate it manually.

Love the new airport but these two items are major fails.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

shinatoo wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:50 am I arrived around midnight last night and the arrivals line was back past Paris Street. The terminal was full of cars parked in the two arrival lanes—most with their hazards on. One guy managing the crosswalk and that was it. They HAVE to get this figured out.

Also, talked to a cashier in short-term parking. She said the economy lots have the new systems ticket vendor but they haven't installed the new systems processing at the pay booths, so the cashiers are having to calculate it manually.

Love the new airport but these two items are major fails.
Picked someone up at that same time earlier in the week and police were everywhere with no lines anywhere. Need to get them there 7 days a week then
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

1 hour one day a week within 6 months of opening isn't a major fail imo but opinions vary.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Evening pickups are consistently a mess.

The airport is physically beautiful and opens many doors from a logistical POV. However, the operations (all non-automated shops/restaurants closed before 10:00 pm, broken/dirty bathrooms, pickup enforcement) are just about as podunk/incompetent as in the old terminals.

The city/airport management needs to get more serious about rectifying this in the immediate future. Public perception will be a real problem in getting future big metro upgrade projects approved if they don't.