OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by Highlander »

Just returned from my first flights since KCI opened. Had some time to explore on the way out and even had lunch at Meat Mitch's which was very good. I was extremely impressed but the airport; the restaurants, facilities, space, cleanliness and the overall layout. The concentration of people into a single compact facility gives KCI a sense of being busy unlike anything the old terminals could ever muster. When we returned today, the place was bustling and the restaurants were crowded as well. The few people we talked to from KC and other who were visiting all seem to love the place too. The only issue I noted was that one of the four moving walkways was not working.

Some of the often cited concerns were not even issues; the security waits on the way out were non-existent and the walk to our gate (albeit in concourse A) was only marginally longer than any walk in the old terminal. They even seem to have arrival pick-up issues under control. Anyone that would want to go back to the old terminals at this point would really have to be crazy.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

They had people whistling drivers. It's a step in the right direction
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

crossing guards too which I think will be a good thing to continue to have during heavy arrival times.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Agreed
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Why not just install traffic signals over each crosswalk? Do we not have enough pedestrian traffic for that?
KC is the way to be!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

its kind of beautiful picking people upstairs in the departures area. the departures area at 10pm is completely empty while the arrivals part is a zoo with cops directing traffic and blowing whistles.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

PDX advertises doing that during evening heavy pickup times
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AllThingsKC wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:54 pm Why not just install traffic signals over each crosswalk? Do we not have enough pedestrian traffic for that?
It's a very sporadic time it happens. That seems overkill
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah. I said before I was at the Amtrak station in STL and they had someone outside that just yelled at cars.

They made you move to the far end and you either picked someone up or dropped someone off or you were told to move.

I think they're getting to this
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

So how did we fare over Draft weekend? Did anyone get stuck waiting to get picked up in the arrivals area and miss the whole thing, or was it mostly smooth sailing?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I saw zero social media outrage. So…. If a tree falls and it’s not on social media, did it happen?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Biggest problem I heard was rental car companies out of cars.

Think the line so occurs 11pmish but prior are figuring it out
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Picked up people jlaround 9. Lot of small things seem fixed

No lines on the street (think that happens later if it does at all).
Very few spots on level 1 of the garage so feel like that's a popular new spot to just park and pick up (lights are definitely helpful showing open spots).
Scuffs on baggage claim floor minimal.
Approach signs clearly saying use both lanes for arrivals
Crossing guards in place.
More seating down in baggage claim. There was basically none last time i paid attention.
On the negative now have sandwich board signs telling people security and check in upstairs, feel you should have better permanent signage
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

There is at least one new TSA screener that lets you keep everything in your bags. Far left side of the right side (non preCheck) TSA area. The machine had some hiccups and a few had their bags rerun
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

Anyone recommend any parking near the airport with shuttle service that you won't get fleeced at?!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

related question--how is the shuttle service to KCI economy parking? thinking of using it next week for a flight. towards the last days at the old terminal the shuttle service was sporadic to the point of absurdity. has that changed?
longtimelistener
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by longtimelistener »

Flew out of the new terminal the week after it opened and parked in the combined Economy A Lot. It was a Tuesday afternoon but the total time from when I parked, waited for the shuttle, traveled through the rest of the lot, and was dropped at the terminal was about 14 minutes. This was also traveling with child and stroller in tow.

The shuttles appeared to be running fairly regularly through the lot. I'm guessing not splitting shuttles between two lots and two terminals helps with the timing.
NEgoofyfoot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NEgoofyfoot »

Rusty Irish wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:24 am Anyone recommend any parking near the airport with shuttle service that you won't get fleeced at?!
I use Park N Go if you use their app, you earn points towards free days I'm using it at the end of the month Fri- Fri and it's like $43. Covered(Carport), Gated and has free shuttle service (with a tip).
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Rusty Irish wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:24 am Anyone recommend any parking near the airport with shuttle service that you won't get fleeced at?!
We parked recently at a vendor outside KCI. Park-n-Go. We had checked with the Parking Spot which was almost as expensive as the short term parking at KCI so we went with Park-n-Go which was competitive with KCI long term parking. Shuttle service to and from was very good. An acquaintance had their catalytic converter stolen from KCI's long term lot shortly before we left so we went with something with better security.
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

My wife had good experience with Park-n-Go as well.