Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by moderne »

It could be transitioned into the lower profile of the Plaza by making most of the building the height of the old Sears building and centering a higher domed structure/tower at the terminal view looking west from Nichols.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Midtownkid wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:39 pm ah, same age as some of the Plaza's structures. Shouldn't be impossible to create something similar today.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3832858 ... 384!8i8192
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Compass KC is showing the Levi's plan as "cancelled". I can't say with certainty if this means the store won't be moving forward but it doesn't look good.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Article in the Kansas City Business Journal today stating that a few developers have inquired about taking the Nordstrom land and building apartments. Apparently, Taubman/ Macerich (Simon) is not interested.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lards.html
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

LCDSI wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:04 pm Article in the Kansas City Business Journal today stating that a few developers have inquired about taking the Nordstrom land and building apartments. Apparently, Taubman/ Macerich (Simon) is not interested.

Sources said some Taubman officials have questioned how different arrangements for multifamily redevelopment of its property would fall within its purview as a shopping center real estate investment trust (REIT).
I don't quite understand this. Taubman has been a partner in mixed use developments - handling the retail portion of a project while another company handles other portions of the master development. Miami Worldcenter for instance.

Could they not do that here as well? Manage and own the retail portion of the project while partnering with another group to manage the apartments/offices above? It could even through whatever subsidiary or separate business unit is building this multifamily in California

I'm sure I'm criminally oversimplifying this
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:52 pm
LCDSI wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:04 pm Article in the Kansas City Business Journal today stating that a few developers have inquired about taking the Nordstrom land and building apartments. Apparently, Taubman/ Macerich (Simon) is not interested.

Sources said some Taubman officials have questioned how different arrangements for multifamily redevelopment of its property would fall within its purview as a shopping center real estate investment trust (REIT).
I don't quite understand this. Taubman has been a partner in mixed use developments - handling the retail portion of a project while another company handles other portions of the master development. Miami Worldcenter for instance.

Could they not do that here as well? Manage and own the retail portion of the project while partnering with another group to manage the apartments/offices above? It could even through whatever subsidiary or separate business unit is building this multifamily in California

I'm sure I'm criminally oversimplifying this
I'm certain they *could* and *can* do it, but the terms of the deal need to be in ownership's favor. I don't think they became the lords of this type of real estate without driving hard deals and always serving the bottom line-- not the community needs/wants.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://CountryClubPlaza.com/Celebrate

100th anniversary celebration coming up on June 3
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Tirza Design has closed it's location at 321 Nichols Rd, the former Kate Spade space. It was a short-term/temporary lease and they had to vacate because "a larger retailer just signed on to our space" as stated in their Instagram post. I couldn't find plans or permits on Compass KC. I would bet they'll knock down the walls and take the former Michael Kors space, too.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Who when find out.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://t.co/9NOJZdh7hH

Can’t this development pick one of the other many vacant lots in the plaza??
The developer, whose firm is Drake Development, said if the necessary approvals are obtained, he plans to demolish the church by the end of the year. He expected to complete the new restaurant development by the end of 2024 or early 2025.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:29 am https://t.co/9NOJZdh7hH

The developer, whose firm is Drake Development, said if the necessary approvals are obtained, he plans to demolish the church by the end of the year. He expected to complete the new restaurant development by the end of 2024 or early 2025.
No.

This is the only one he owns
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:37 am
Cratedigger wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:29 am https://t.co/9NOJZdh7hH

No.

This is the only one he owns
It's just frustrating to see architecturally interesting buildings being demolished - especially when there are so many vacant lots in the area. This church that has been a part of the neighborhood since 1942 will be demolished to make way for a three story box. I mean if all you're doing is restaurant concepts there is a way to do it in a unique way using the existing building.

It would have been one thing if there were the condos added to this project, but this proposal won't even have that.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

"Since then, the developer has returned to his original vision, lining up neighborhood support, arranging parking and winning the endorsement of Councilwoman Katheryn Shields, a strong advocate of the Plaza Overlay District."
- Shields isn't even getting reelected... Much rather have those condos back. But someone else will freak out about the 'Plaza Bowl' instead.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

He could at least recreate the church's Romanesque steeple on the corner of the Cocina building. But what would you expect from the developer of the unattractively remuddled Jack Henry building. If the Plaza were ever sold off in pieces, things like this would metastasize all over.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

The Cocina project is AWFUL. Looks like something you would see at 135th & Nall
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Metro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:46 pm The Cocina project is AWFUL. Looks like something you would see at 135th & Nall
100%. I'm willing to sacrifice the church building for progress...but that project is awful.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Great urban powerhouses all over the country have found ways to redevelop classic churches. That our idea is to tear it down and build over shows how very far behind we are in building strong urban environment.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

smh wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:55 pm
Metro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:46 pm The Cocina project is AWFUL. Looks like something you would see at 135th & Nall
100%. I'm willing to sacrifice the church building for progress...but that project is awful.
It is. If it's essentially just going to be a restaurant, repurpose the church and build the restaurant into it. It would be much better than the generic trash that's being proposed.

Even Bentonville AR has figured it out....
https://www.thepreachersson.com/
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:03 pm
smh wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:55 pm
It is. If it's essentially just going to be a restaurant, repurpose the church and build the restaurant into it. It would be much better than the generic trash that's being proposed.

Even Bentonville AR has figured it out....
https://www.thepreachersson.com/
Three different concepts in that building too
(Main level restaurant, rooftop cocktails + small bites, basement rotating pop up bar)