OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by langosta »

mRoyal wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:16 pm Saw this claim on a different message board. Seems to be too much of a broad generalization for me to take serious. Anyone hear anything similar?
I doubt that I am the only one hearing this but apparently the people who work at MCI dislike the new terminal quite a bit more than the old terminal. The claim seems to be that they did not take into account the typical day of anyone working there--- like at all. Apparently, everything is much more spread out and nothing is conveniently located to perform any task. We will see how this goes but I have not talked to a single person who works there that has given it a thumbs up--- and I have run across a few that have been quite negative.
The airlines who lease gates designed their back of house spaces. My SW friends love it. There is more space and finally things are new and level.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I had to check my drone so I needed to interact with the SW staff a lot at check in. We asked what they thought of the terminal and they said they all loved it and were recommending places to eat etc. They said the new terminal is much better. That's just a couple of employees, but I can't imagine why many would dislike the new terminal.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

langosta wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:29 pm
mRoyal wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:16 pm Saw this claim on a different message board. Seems to be too much of a broad generalization for me to take serious. Anyone hear anything similar?
I doubt that I am the only one hearing this but apparently the people who work at MCI dislike the new terminal quite a bit more than the old terminal. The claim seems to be that they did not take into account the typical day of anyone working there--- like at all. Apparently, everything is much more spread out and nothing is conveniently located to perform any task. We will see how this goes but I have not talked to a single person who works there that has given it a thumbs up--- and I have run across a few that have been quite negative.
The airlines who lease gates designed their back of house spaces. My SW friends love it. There is more space and finally things are new and level.
Yea. and not sure about the complaint, the new terminal is far less spread out than it was.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Might be true. I flew out of there the other day for the third time since opening and heard nothing but complaints from folks working the luggage check counters. You can tell they are very annoyed by not having any curbside luggage checks, and having a massive queue line full of people 24/7 now. Doesn't help that guest services is ruled into the luggage check queue line.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Curbside luggage checks does exist though?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:05 am
Might be true. I flew out of there the other day for the third time since opening and heard nothing but complaints from folks working the luggage check counters. You can tell they are very annoyed by not having any curbside luggage checks, and having a massive queue line full of people 24/7 now. Doesn't help that guest services is ruled into the luggage check queue line.
You should be more observant next time you go. Curbside check is definitely there. It's almost like this is just a bs post to try and fit your dying narrative
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The curbside baggage agent I observed was handling AA flights and AA baggage only, or at least this was the case two weeks ago.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They are manned by the airlines just like inside.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:09 am They are manned by the airlines just like inside.
They've been closed all three times I've been. Most recently last weekend. On Saturday. Zero curbside luggage checks open. Huge line inside. Followed by a huge security line inside. Low manning galore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:31 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:09 am They are manned by the airlines just like inside.
They've been closed all three times I've been. Most recently last weekend. On Saturday. Zero curbside luggage checks open. Huge line inside. Followed by a huge security line inside. Low manning galore.
Okay. So this has nothing to do with the airport. Cot it.

Huge line yet everyone reports curb to post security under 10 minutes.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I will say one thing I saw that was pretty silly and pissing a lot of people off.

The TSA has two big queuing as you all know. Both of them have well marked signs for TSA pre. Well we went to the first side and the TSA pre seemed to have a long line, so we walked to the other size of the headhouse thinking the other one would be shorter, but it was closed, so we walked back and use the first one we saw. It was not a long wait, but I figured no wait would have been worth the walk.

But here is the weird thing. They were using one entire side of the queuing for only TSA pre. It looks like both sides are set up for both TSA Pre and regular screening, but they were not working like that. So you had a lot of people standing in the TSA pre line only to be told at the very end they were in the wrong line. Most airports have a person at the beginning of the lines to prevent that. IDK, it was kind of weird, maybe they were shorthanded.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

GRID wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:54 am I just flew to Austin, they are set up similar but arrivals and departures both have their own access to the garage…
I’m confused, you CAN access the garage from both levels?
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

One more nit to pick...

The TSA precheck tensabarriers were completely deployed at 10am last week, even with only 6 or 7 people in the actual queue, at the front by the ID checker. These barriers are designed to be opened and closed depending on volume. But when I started to open the direct access path to the half-empty "final turn" in the barrier structure, a woman ran up to me and said I wasn't authorized to touch the tensabarrier. Instead, she insisted that all of the people behind me do a half-mile walk back and forth through the serpentine path. And she watched us in the maze for about 10 minutes, then disappeared.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

herrfrank wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:28 pm One more nit to pick...

The TSA precheck tensabarriers were completely deployed at 10am last week, even with only 6 or 7 people in the actual queue, at the front by the ID checker. These barriers are designed to be opened and closed depending on volume. But when I started to open the direct access path to the half-empty "final turn" in the barrier structure, a woman ran up to me and said I wasn't authorized to touch the tensabarrier. Instead, she insisted that all of the people behind me do a half-mile walk back and forth through the serpentine path. And she watched us in the maze for about 10 minutes, then disappeared.
LOL I've been annoyed by that as well and that's ridiculous. They typically have someone at the mouth of precheck, they could easily be removing those for a passthrough when needed.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Spoke with an acquaintance who flies with some frequency to KC to visit friends. She was a fan of the old terminal. Said the new terminal is beautiful - her word, but just like every other airport. Spoke positively of the cell phone lot, which her friends used.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

missingkc wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:37 pm Spoke with an acquaintance who flies with some frequency to KC to visit friends. She was a fan of the old terminal. Said the new terminal is beautiful - her word, but just like every other airport. Spoke positively of the cell phone lot, which her friends used.
this made me laugh for some reason. It's just a parking lot, who has an "opinion" of it?
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

missingkc wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:37 pm Spoke with an acquaintance who flies with some frequency to KC to visit friends. She was a fan of the old terminal. Said the new terminal is beautiful - her word, but just like every other airport. Spoke positively of the cell phone lot, which her friends used.
Wow. Other airports should copy KCI and have cel phone lots. Oh, wait. Other airports do have cel phone lots.

Never mind.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

She lives in Charlotte. Large airport. Cell phone lot for years. Apparently she has never had to pick anyone up from the airport here. So, it was a new experience for her. That's all. And KCPowercat: people on here are constantly expressing opinions about parking lots.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

missingkc wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:48 am She lives in Charlotte. Large airport. Cell phone lot for years. Apparently she has never had to pick anyone up from the airport here. So, it was a new experience for her. That's all. And KCPowercat: people on here are constantly expressing opinions about parking lots.
Never complimenting them though :)
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

"My trip? It was fine. I west to Kansas City, Charlotte, Dallas, Denver and Salt Lake City. Dallas was fine, nice cel phone lot, you know. Salt Lake City's cel phone lot didn't have a trash can so that part wasn't as fun. Denver was great. The cel phone lot has a trash can AND a recycling bin"