Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Three Light

Post by missingkc »

The difference in heights is greater than I thought it would be. That's good.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

GRID wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:35 am Image
Really like this picture and how it showcases the slightly different glass used. I personally think it does a great job adding variety in the skyline while maintaining the Light's brand
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

grecobs wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:57 am These pictures are incredible! I’m 31 (for another month 🥲) and it’s pretty incredible to see how much development has happened downtown over my lifetime. There is obviously still a ton to do (e.g. getting rid of all those surface lots!) but 3 Light is just another example of downtown’s renaissance.
yep a lot of development, momentum, and excitement over the past 20-25 yrs for sure. Wonderful to see the heart of the city restored and the development that has radiated from around it. Now just imagine what might have been if the world did not grind to a halt in 2020 with COVID and the 2 years of spiraling uncertainty. The residential adds have been great but imagine full office towers, or at least much fuller than they are now, along with the added people.

I worked downtown, hybrid now, and still make a point to get into the office 2-3 times a week. I miss the buzz of people. I hope over time that buzz will somewhat return
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

View from Westin Hotel (we stayed here one night)

I'll be honest, I will miss the green oval H&R Block building in the skyline. I mean I wouldn't stop new buildings, but I always thought it really added to the diversity of the skyline from the south. Too bad H&R Block is not about 10-15 stories taller, it would have looked great.

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

i agree about HR Block. Always wished it was about 6 stories taller. Much nicer proportions. Now, we just need some really interesting buildings along south Truman.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

same view at night

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Very nice. Thanks.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The swoop on this building makes a big difference. 3-light also really helps balance out 2-lights squatness. 4-light will only continue this.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kboish wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:44 pm The swoop on this building makes a big difference. 3-light also really helps balance out 2-lights squatness. 4-light will only continue this.
Well at least 4 light will actually improve the skyline vs covering up other buildings. I know, I know, skyline doesn't matter, but the fact that you can see nearly all of One KC place from the south is kind of sad actually. There is not a sizeable building directly south of One KC place at all and One KC place is in the center of downtown.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That's why I have heard out of towners crack with a comment like "gee, Kansas City only has 3 or 4 tall buildings downtown." 3 Light is definitely is slimmed up from 2. It is less wide(east/west axis) where it rises above the parking podium and then takes another slim step at the top two floors on the west side.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

View of Three Light from different angle:

KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Awesome pics Grid. The original rendering of the Hyatt/Lowes Hotel was about 45 floors I believe, that would have been significant. But alas, we get a 23 story hotel. If 4L is 40 floors or more, it will add some height and partially block 1KCP I believe. Not as worried about height, I'd rather have a dense, urban, walkable downtown with little to no surface lots.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Nice pics! Downtown KC has a great mix of old and new with density.
How many buildings can you count in this slice?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sn8P8i ... sp=sharing
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

I drove underneath 3L on the highway and this thing looked short and squaty from the highway. When is KC going to build something impressive? Probably not in my lifetime. I was driving in downtown Minneapolis the other day and I saw many corporate headquarters downtown with dedicated buildings and the company names in huge letters on the buildings. Most were not anything huge but it made me think that KC city leadership is despised by local business decision makers.

Sprint and Cerner have no legacy at all in KC. It's like they never even existed. At least At&T built a sizable tower. Sorry for the rant.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

I’d stake more shorter buildings over a few taller ones any day.

KC builds squat towers because rents are relatively low but costs are high so floor plate efficiency is to be maximized.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The light towers look squatty because they are on oversized pedestals for their heights and they are a block wide.

I would agree though. Two developed blocks is better than one 40 story Light tower.

But good god, Downtown KC really does need a new substantial tower. The skyline really has barely changed since the 80s. I know that doesn't really matter, but still.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I am no apologist for Cordish designs, but it is not fair to judge a buildings' appearance from a speeding vehicle passing by in a recessed trench. Ever hear of foreshortening?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

From last week:

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I personally don't think this is too squat - I think it's beautiful. Recently, I've been enjoying seeing the mural filled in
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I just can’t believe we haven’t heard anything on 4L yet