NFL Draft

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: NFL Draft

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Wow, I didn't realize KC was cancelling two days of school because of this. That is bush league at best.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Think it's remote learning actually.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:09 pm Think it's remote learning actually.
Whatever. If I have to take a day off myself to take care of my kid I'm not babysitting them while they stare at a zoom session. We're going to the park. Bush league.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:52 am
GRID wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:41 am
missingkc wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:23 pm Does anyone know what, if anything, US is receiving in payment for this disruption of normal income generating activity? Or, are they just viewing this as good publicity and going with that? Or, do they have no choice or say?
US is fully opening during all this as far as I know. I checked into it since we will be in town this week. You just can't enter from the main front entrance. You have to use the side entrances which is really not a big deal.
Good to know. I had even heard, I think on the Rag, that the streetcar would be shut down during the draft too. I hope there is no truth to that?
One of the streetcar drivers I was talking to last week said they plan to be running all 6 of the cars at that time. She was concerned about the route getting bunched up.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:58 pm
Highlander wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:52 am
GRID wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:41 am

US is fully opening during all this as far as I know. I checked into it since we will be in town this week. You just can't enter from the main front entrance. You have to use the side entrances which is really not a big deal.
Good to know. I had even heard, I think on the Rag, that the streetcar would be shut down during the draft too. I hope there is no truth to that?
One of the streetcar drivers I was talking to last week said they plan to be running all 6 of the cars at that time. She was concerned about the route getting bunched up.
That's awesome if true. Have they ever had all 6 on the route at once?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

How is the fountain going to figure in on this? If it is spouting it will block sight lines. Maybe just be operating before the program starts and when there are lulls in stage activity? Maybe no problem with people trying to play in it on a cool April evening.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

moderne wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:37 am How is the fountain going to figure in on this? If it is spouting it will block sight lines. Maybe just be operating before the program starts and when there are lulls in stage activity? Maybe no problem with people trying to play in it on a cool April evening.
Calm with a light show is probably the way to go
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Only five streetcars will be running and provide 5 minute headways (you have to go to Chicago for that frequency). We will never run six on the downtown alignment. Too risky and negligible return.

The 5-car schedule will be tested during First Friday.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Also important to note that passenger service will end/begin at the Crossroads stops on 19th- so no riding all the way to Union Station.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

gfenn11 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:28 pm Also important to note that passenger service will end/begin at the Crossroads stops on 19th- so no riding all the way to Union Station.
This was NFL's direction because "security".
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

gfenn11 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:28 pm Also important to note that passenger service will end/begin at the Crossroads stops on 19th- so no riding all the way to Union Station.
Will the cars themselves still go all the way down to Union Station to make the turnaround?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The stage is as colossal as the station. Is this a long term re-usable item for US that can be used for future events or a rental by the NFL?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

moderne wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:11 pm The stage is as colossal as the station. Is this a long term re-usable item for US that can be used for future events or a rental by the NFL?
I believe I remember reading that the stage setup belongs to the NFL, and some version of it is used for the draft each year. Will not belong to Union Station...
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It seems sized to order for the station. Height and width match the head house and I think even the gable roof pitch might match.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

moderne wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:55 pm It seems sized to order for the station. Height and width match the head house and I think even the gable roof pitch might match.
Walked by today. It's massive (in a not kind way). It's like a tent version of Union Station in front of the actual Union Station. Hurt my eyes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What’s underneath the largest NFL Draft stage at Union Station?

This draft will feature the largest theater stage in the event’s 87-year history.

https://kctoday.6amcity.com/underneath- ... ansas-city
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:11 pm Only five streetcars will be running and provide 5 minute headways (you have to go to Chicago for that frequency). We will never run six on the downtown alignment. Too risky and negligible return.

The 5-car schedule will be tested during First Friday.
Will overflow buses along same line also be used? Seems any event this large should.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Was down at Liberty Memorial and Union Station yesterday. The enormous scale and extent of the preparations took me by surprise (considering it's two weeks out still). We were trying to get to Liberty Memorial/museum with a house guest from Houston and had to take a pretty circuitous route.
Surprised the city let them shut so much of that area down two weeks away from the event.

Downtown was pretty active with a collegiate volleyball tourney going on too. Our Houston friend was impressed.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:38 am Was down at Liberty Memorial and Union Station yesterday. The enormous scale and extent of the preparations took me by surprise (considering it's two weeks out still). We were trying to get to Liberty Memorial/museum with a house guest from Houston and had to take a pretty circuitous route.
Surprised the city let them shut so much of that area down two weeks away from the event.

Downtown was pretty active with a collegiate volleyball tourney going on too. Our Houston friend was impressed.
I am more surprised people didn't think big events have big lead times and closures