NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Post by Rabble »

The P&L has always needed a building on it's west side that matches the height of it's tallest parapet. There is nothing on the west elevation, except the light tower, that should be visible.

For almost ninety years two of KC's best art deco buildings have been separated by a surface parking lot. I wish the developers all the luck in bringing that to an end.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:33 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:15 pm Skylines are meant to change. If they aren't, somethings wrong.
Yes, however, aesthetics still matter.
They matter so minimally to almost be irrelevant. More people matter. Density. Walkability and streetfront form. We have to increase our momentum getting people living and working and playing DT. Adding months of “community input” or design changes to every new building delays this synergy. We need to stop fiddling around the edges. Throw up some steel.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

If this gets built, then another Light tower gets built on the parking lot next to the Mainstreet Theater, the P&L will be drowning in mundane glass cubes.

This design is not very attractive. It's a bunch of messy stacked boxes like the new building south of the P&L. I think putting the taller tower in the middle of the block instead of smacked up against the P&L would be an improvement. Hope it ends up being half as tall.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This is the view I'm most concerned with

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Midtownkid wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:53 pm If this gets built, then another Light tower gets built on the parking lot next to the Mainstreet Theater, the P&L will be drowning in mundane glass cubes.

This design is not very attractive. It's a bunch of messy stacked boxes like the new building south of the P&L. I think putting the taller tower in the middle of the block instead of smacked up against the P&L would be an improvement. Hope it ends up being half as tall.
Welcome to Brickell - Miami.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:08 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:05 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:04 pm
When is soon on Barney Allis Plaza? I guess I did not know that was a done deal.
Brian Platt said last month he thinks they could start Barney Allis in a few months
Is that the Copaken proposal with the Apartments on the west side of the Plaza?
That's correct. Copaken's RFP submittal says they'd start the Plaza reconstruction in August 2023 and multi-family component at the end of July 2024.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Aesthetic and scale concerns aside, I would be thrilled about this if it was anyone other than Lux Living.

No specific complaints other than they have a lot of irons in the fire. Have not yet broken ground on riverfront or freight house, two important projects adding significant density in those areas. Believe they have a couple stalled STL deals. A bit skeptical given the scale of this one.

That said, wishing them all the luck, would love to see this and other true mixed-use projects come together in the loop.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:21 pm Aesthetic and scale concerns aside, I would be thrilled about this if it was anyone other than Lux Living.

No specific complaints other than they have a lot of irons in the fire. Have not yet broken ground on riverfront or freight house, two important projects adding significant density in those areas. Believe they have a couple stalled STL deals. A bit skeptical given the scale of this one.

That said, wishing them all the luck, would love to see this and other true mixed-use projects come together in the loop.
Freighthouse wasn’t slated to break ground till Spring anyways.

They started Katz and are rolling with it on track. Wonderland is almost done too. They’re actually moving projects through unlike so many other developers.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:37 pm
rxlexi wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:21 pm Aesthetic and scale concerns aside, I would be thrilled about this if it was anyone other than Lux Living.

Freighthouse wasn’t slated to break ground till Spring anyways.

They started Katz and are rolling with it on track. Wonderland is almost done too. They’re actually moving projects through unlike so many other developers.
Wonderland is probably at the same point in the construction process as Katz. Both are having parking garages assembled.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

This proposal is a great addition to very decrepit corner. The P & L tower view is preserved from every direction, the ugly blank west facade is covered up and it increases both hotel and residential density in a very important area of the downtown core. As noted, this corner has seen numerous proposals that went nowhere so I’m all for something that has a proven project finisher behind it. I’m sure there will be some ups and downs in the project as in all projects and I’m hoping that more refined views of the project will be provided in the near future.
Incentives are always a magnet for drama in this city and I hope the developers can navigate it better than the recent MAC debacle on Main. After seeing decades of neglect and inaction downtown it’s exciting to actually have the growth and transformation that is now happening. Lux Living should be held to a very specific set of expectations based on past allegations with some of their other projects but they are putting development dollars into KC. Increased residential competition in the downtown core should spur greater design and amenities as well. Build it!
Over concern with preserving the view of the iconic P & L tower in our skyline is akin to limiting the height to preserve the old New York Life tower when it was the predominant tower viewed from afar. Skylines change in progressive cities and don’t in stagnant cities.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Major KC Fan wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:25 pm Skylines change in progressive cities ...
Examples?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I've been mulling over this, and it is looking better to me now, and I think I rescind my concern. Looks very big city. I hope it doesn't come out looking this dark and grey though

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

^I’m going to wait until actual renderings of this come out before saying much else. I doubt it’ll be as dark.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Thanks Last Gentleman. Great pictures of the evolving skyline of years past in KCMO- will be interesting to see how much it changes in the next decade, let alone several decades into the future (though I most likely won’t see it 50 years from now….).
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Why would we complain about a growing street wall and another 300 units downtown?
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Y’all honestly sound like a bunch of NIMBYs….! This is a massive development that would add hundreds of housing units on a decrepit surface lot (if you can even call it that). Sure it would impede I’m the beautiful P&L building, but that’s progress.

I live in New York and have watched the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building slowly cedé into the background thanks to all the new midtown supertalls (1 Vanderbilt, 432 Park, One57, Bank of America Tower, etc.).

I would gladly take a building that generates much needed tax revenue versus what we have now. Sure it impedes on an absolutely stunning building, but that building was built nearly 100 years ago in 1931. I find it highly disappointing that y’all would prefer to keep things as is than to progress fwd!
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

Some aren't big on the building design but I think it will look good when it actually gets built. This lot needs a project this size built on it.

Thanks TheLastGentleman for sharing that pic, love seeing the progress of the city over the years and now we all get to be apart of the current transformation.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I’ve not seen anyone on this thread who has directly opposed this development nor the density/uses it will add. Some, rightfully so, are questioning wether we should be exited about an uninspired stack of glass boxes which doesn’t push the design envelope much from what’s been done in town for the last decade. As well, others are voicing some concern with the developer, as it’s stirred quite a controversy with their existing developments in town.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:06 am I’ve not seen anyone on this thread who has directly opposed this development nor the density/uses it will add. Some, rightfully so, are questioning wether we should be exited about an uninspired stack of glass boxes which doesn’t push the design envelope much from what’s been done in town for the last decade. As well, others are voicing some concern with the developer, as it’s stirred quite a controversy with their existing developments in town.
I was thinking a little more about this development last night and particularly how it and the Waddell/1400KC project create a vibrant (or not) streetscape from the convention center to P&L. It got me thinking that an interesting project (maybe for the Urban Lab gang) would be to create a map of downtown showing street level activation. I really feel like our failure to insist on ground level activation (whether commercial, lobby space, whatever) is causing KC to miss out on a lot of the benefits of density, namely getting people to walk everywhere and stop using their cars except for trips out of the core. In many cities you can walk commercial streets that have continuous ground level activation. In KC that is rare.

Anyway, just something I was thinking about. I haven't figured out just yet how to do it in a time-efficient way beyond just trolling streetview.