Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by mgh7676 »

I, for one, welcome the opportunity to name our newest park Blunt Park the same year weed was legalized in our fine state.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

More news on this, it could be announced soon as well that a mega-grant is granted and the funding would go up to $60 mil.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice!
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Name it for Buck since it's liable there will be no bridge left to name after him.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

missingkc wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:39 pm Name it for Buck since it's liable there will be no bridge left to name after him.
I wish. Buck deserves so much better than the replacement bridge.
UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:33 pm More news on this, it could be announced soon as well that a mega-grant is granted and the funding would go up to $60 mil.
My understanding is the MEGA grant the city is pursuing will be $60+ million.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

If they get the mega-grant I wonder if they're going 6 blocks with this
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:22 pm If they get the mega-grant I wonder if they're going 6 blocks with this
They need to get the mega grant just to get those done as proposed is how I understand it.

Always wish we could have gotten “more” from the earmark.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

After the Martin Luther King Boulevard debacle, all future namings of buildings, streets, and parks should be put up for a public vote. Residents should get some say over who is honored in our city.

Former Senator Christopher Bond has two major bridges crossing the Missouri River named after him (here in KC in 2010 and another in Hermann, Missouri in 2007. One bridge in the state should have been enough. Once someone has been honored already with a named bridge, that should be enough. Save the other bridge to be named after someone else.

The Bond Bridge in Kansas City should be renamed after former Senator Claire McCaskill, who spent a lot of her time attempting to get Congress and Missouri's government to deal with Missouri's bridge crisis. Former Governor Mel Carnahan doesn't have a major state bridge named after him either.

I think the deck park should be named after someone who actually lived in Kansas City. Perhaps Len Dawson? Walter Cronkite?
Last edited by FangKC on Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I vote Pendergast!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

All these men trying to get their names on everything, and Kay Barnes is just enjoying her life knowing that she probably did more for the core of this city than any of them.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

She got a ballroom in the convention center named for her. She should have gotten the entire conference center/ballroom building named after her.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

For all the tough talk towards Mayor Q, I think he’s actually done a very fine job
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I went through the stimulus bill for the DOT projects and found two interesting points:

1. The 670 cap project was around the top 10 most funded projects. Most areas only got $1-2 mil per project. This got $28.6 mil.

1. KC got *alot* more money for its city than St. Louis got. It was noticeable.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

In all honesty Sly James was very important to the current state of the city and has nothing named after him quite yet.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:19 am In all honesty Sly James was very important to the current state of the city and has nothing named after him quite yet.
James park would work well. Infinitely better than Blunt park
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Funkhouser Highway Cap Park
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Peoples Liberation Park. Really something that would more resonant with non-locals. Since it is on Truman Road name it Truman Park, Truman Mall, or just the Truman. Or maybe something that is not a persons name but something distinctly Kansas City. Naming this is the first step of branding it. Since it is built over what was once called the Crosstown Freeway, and it links downTown with the Cross roads: Crosstown Square.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:23 pm Peoples Liberation Park. Really something that would more resonant with non-locals. Since it is on Truman Road name it Truman Park, Truman Mall, or just the Truman. Or maybe something that is not a persons name but something distinctly Kansas City. Naming this is the first step of branding it. Since it is built over what was once called the Crosstown Freeway, and it links downTown with the Cross roads: Crosstown Square.
Barbecue Park it is
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Truman park is the only good name so far.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Three-story animatronic lifelike statue of Harry Truman riding a dragon with real fire and smoke shooting from the dragon's mouth.