Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:48 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:31 pm I’m fully bought in on the East Village location now. I rescind my previous position of supporting Crossroads site.
I'm feeling the same way. There is just so much vacant and underused land there to work with. If they truly build an entire district from the ground up and figure out ways to bridge the freeways to connect the east loop to crossroads, paseo west and river market, it would be pretty amazing.

And nothing of value would have to be torn down.
The main reason I'm buying into the EV site is because I think Sherman gets it.

The biggest concern had always been the streetscape and walkability to P&L, etc. But it seems like they're wanting to address that. We might actually get a Petco Park setup which IMO is the best type of setup in MLB for a modern stadium. The Royals seem to be showing that they actually care about the downtown and not just doing basic stadium with mostly surface lots like we presumed.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:31 pm I’m fully bought in on the East Village location now. I rescind my previous position of supporting Crossroads site.
Makes too much sense. Kills a ton of surface lots and has the least potential of them facing legal action. Too many issues with demolitions and evictions on most of the other sites.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The injection downtown KC will get by opening the south loop cap and the Royals downtown at the same time will be more even than Barry Bonds in 2001
bhedges1987
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bhedges1987 »

If they're moving it downtown. At least face the stadium so the outfield looks at the city. The renderings have one lone office building back there. I sure HOPE they don't face it east away from everything. That's one reason people love watching games in St. Louis / Pitt.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

bhedges1987 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:09 pm If they're moving it downtown. At least face the stadium so the outfield looks at the city. The renderings have one lone office building back there. I sure HOPE they don't face it east away from everything. That's one reason people love watching games in St. Louis / Pitt.
Counterpoint: Even better than St. Louis or Pitt, our stadium could have buildings all around it 360 from all sides (like San Diego). In St. Louis/Pitt/Cleveland, behind their stadiums exists nothing or just highways. They only have a skyline shot in the distance. I'd much rather have the stadium like San Diego where it's walkable and dense from all angles.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

bhedges1987 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:09 pm If they're moving it downtown. At least face the stadium so the outfield looks at the city. The renderings have one lone office building back there. I sure HOPE they don't face it east away from everything. That's one reason people love watching games in St. Louis / Pitt.
It’ll almost assuredly face E/NE. It definitely won’t face West.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Imarealperson wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:42 pm
It’ll almost assuredly face E/NE. It definitely won’t face West.
Which is why I really hope that some high rises go up at the same time the stadium goes up. The stadium has to open along with development in the outfield or at least cranes building stuff or that view will be pretty horrible from any seat above the field level. At least the concourses should have nice city views.

I know when I go to games, I spend half my time just gazing out at the city (at urban ballparks) and looking out into those areas east of the core of downtown would be kind of depressing, even compared to Kauffman stadium's view. You don't want to open a new stadium like that.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The development plan will likely extend beyond the East Village north of 12th Street and might include the two vacant sites at 12th and McGee and potentially even the blocks that will become vacant with the Jackson County Detention Center demolition.

I am curious if the Federal Building's parking lot will also get developed, and how they will approach that.

There might be some longer-term spinoff development east of 71 Highway along Harrison from 12th St. north to 8th Street. Those parcels could handle high-rises that would have views of the East Village and stadium looking west. They might consider relocating Margaret Kemp Park to another location and building on those parcels. There should be a long-term plan to redevelop Paseo West as a high-density residential neighborhood anyway, and move that industrial district somewhere further away from Downtown.

This could be the view from an apartment east of 71 highway along Harrison Street.

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Fountains wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:47 pm PARKING!!!!!!!

Populous says new Downtown ballpark would come with a need for 10,800-11,400 parking spaces. With ~55,000 spaces of existing parking inventory, architects say two ballparks theoretically could fit Downtown.
I'm confused by this. If they don't actually know where they're putting the stadium, how do they know how much parking they need? Are they really including all parking downtown as parking for the stadium? Wouldn't parking within 6-8 blocks really only be relevant? And if they are including all downtown parking, how do we not have enough already? Just a weird statement to me.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I think they were saying that all the parking they will need for the new stadium already exists.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

smh wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:24 pm Feel compelled to share this link again to the Hines Competition for East Village in 2021. Here are the finalists:

https://uli.secure-platform.com/a/gallery?roundId=81

Ultimately the Ryerson proposal ("Team 3" in the link) won...interestingly without a baseball stadium. Anyway, it makes for interesting viewing to see what folks were thinking.
Downloaded all the submissions to this awhile back – fun to flip through. Plenty without a ballpark & varying quality of course.

Presentations: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... d3swjpZm_l
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

"COLUMBIA, Mo. – Future State Senate President Pro Tem Caleb Rowden says he has not talked to any lawmakers or the Kansas City Royals about their push for a new stadium.

“We want to do everything we can to support what they’re doing,” Rowden said in an interview with FOX4 Wednesday. “I’m not from Kansas City obviously, but downtown ballparks generally bring a lot of vibrance and a lot of excitement to the downtown areas which I think can be a good thing for anybody.” "

This is very, very promising to hear from a critical state leader.

https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/misso ... n-stadium/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

4 years to approve and build a new stadium. Populous interview

https://fox4kc.com/sports/royals-downto ... -timeline/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:32 pm 4 years to approve and build a new stadium. Populous interview

So they say it will have a skyline view? Interesting good to know they are trying to make sure there is some sort of view.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:07 am
normalthings wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:32 pm 4 years to approve and build a new stadium. Populous interview

So they say it will have a skyline view? Interesting good to know they are trying to make sure there is some sort of view.
I think what Sherman is planning is exactly right. You'll have the main skyline behind the stadium *and* in front of it they're going to build more buildings as well. A 360 view of development.

I'm telling you, these stadiums like Minneapolis, StL & Cleveland are frauds because while on TV it shows a skyline beyond the outfield wall -- behind the stadiums on the opposite is literally just highways and some blight. It's a mirage. We've got a chance to be one of the few stadiums that actually is dense and has development from all angles around it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:14 am
GRID wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:07 am

I think what Sherman is planning is exactly right. You'll have the main skyline behind the stadium *and* in front of it they're going to build more buildings as well. A 360 view of development.

I'm telling you, these stadiums like Minneapolis, StL & Cleveland are frauds because while on TV it shows a skyline beyond the outfield wall -- behind the stadiums on the opposite is literally just highways and some blight. It's a mirage. We've got a chance to be one of the few stadiums that actually is dense and has development from all angles around it.
haha I get what you are saying but we are going to have a highway on at least 1 side no matter which location is picked. EV would at least have development on 3 sides!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Four sides if we can ever start getting some development in Paseo West, and build up on the bluff east of the East Village. Will have to move Margaret Kemp Park though.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

2 things on this:

1. Unless I'm mistaken in the renderings, I think Sherman has planned some development/towers in between the east loop and the stadium. When it's St. Louis there's no development covering the highway. It's just right there with an eyesore.

2. They could also start developing in east loop soon anyway as Fang is alluding to
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Paseo West will def take off if EV is announced as the official site.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

But where would all the homeless missions go?