Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:26 am 6-8 stories of residential on top of whatever goes at the Nordstrom site would be a good start.
They need to build out on those empty grass lot behind the plaza first
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Target and so on to join LensCrafters on the Country Club Plaza…I actually like the idea of target replacing the proposed Nordstrom on the plaza. I would never shop at Nordstrom but I would defiantly be at the target multiple times a week. I think this is exactly what the plaza needs a target would generate so much new foot traffic that would never come to a Plaza otherwise and provides major lift to all the other businesses in the area in the process
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Also- dont targets have pharmacies in them? People could finally get their long coveted pharmancy
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:26 am 6-8 stories of residential on top of whatever goes at the Nordstrom site would be a good start.
They need to build out on those empty grass lot behind the plaza first
They should build on those, but they're owned by Price Brothers, so I wouldn't hold your breath. PB might be the largest holders of vacant land on the Plaza.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Even like 4-5 stories mid-rise on top of Target/Dillards would salvage a win in my book.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yeah whatever happens hopefully there's a residential element, would be a failed missed opportunity if it doesn't happen and otherwise is a major opportunity to be a catalyst for more residential within the bowl. Would be fine with smaller shops/quaint restaurants too, doesn't have to be a large retailer.

Target would be more appropriate closer to streetcar stop, like a multi-use building in place of the tennis courts and place the tennis courts on roof, as well as maybe indoor courts as well. And maybe move Plaza library there.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Price Brothers plans to add to their vacant land holdings. They are scheduled to demolish the four buildings on the NE corner of 31st and Main starting today.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0710342 ... 384!8i8192
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

City Manager Brian Platt agrees with the thoughts of many on this board
“On the city side, we will be resurfacing the streets, changing the street lights but that only goes so far. The zoning and density will go a long way to bring the Plaza back.

“If you have a couple thousand more people living there and a couple thousand more people working there suddenly you’ve got enough foot traffic to support some of those businesses and restaurants that have vacated the area.

“That could be a zoning change for the Plaza Bowl, that could be a couple new developments on the outside, it could be additional incentive to build more on what we have there.
https://cityscenekc.com/city-manager-br ... outh-loop/
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:14 pm Price Brothers plans to add to their vacant land holdings. They are scheduled to demolish the four buildings on the NE corner of 31st and Main starting today.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0710342 ... 384!8i8192
Thank goodness. Those structures are major eyesores...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kboish wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:22 pm Also- dont targets have pharmacies in them? People could finally get their long coveted pharmancy
As one who was a fan of this it wasn't the actually drug part of the pharmacy, it was having a store to serve neighborhood and tourist needs that are also sold in a typical pharmacy
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Jewelry Store that left Plaza coming back Pandora.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

4706 Broadway remodel for JD Sports. British retailer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JD_Sports
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2#cxrecs_s

Nike to open in the old tesla space
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Glad they're making a comeback. I liked the Nike store on the Plaza.
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

freedog wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:04 pm https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2#cxrecs_s

The old spot at 211 Nichols was a terrible location — I’m glad Nike is giving it another shot. There’s no reason why KC can’t support a high-profile brand like that.

This adds to the list of “returning” brands to the Plaza. Tiffany & Co. last year, Pandora last month... who’s next? :D
msmith011
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by msmith011 »

Goonies wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:09 pm
msmith011 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:47 pm
freedog wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:04 pm https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2#cxrecs_s

The old spot at 211 Nichols was a terrible location — I’m glad Nike is giving it another shot. There’s no reason why KC can’t support a high-profile brand like that.

This adds to the list of “returning” brands to the Plaza. Tiffany & Co. last year, Pandora last month... who’s next? :D
Hopefully the theatre. Why was the Nike store in a bad location? There was literally a parking garage next to it.
It was on the farthest end of Nichols and didn't get as much foot traffic as more centrally located stores. It also didn't help that there were several empty spaces between Nike and the next closest store, Marine Layer. I think it's telling that Plaza 211 hasn't been completely full since opening several years ago, despite being the newest/most recently updated building on the Plaza.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

msmith011 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:50 am
Goonies wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:09 pm
msmith011 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:47 pm

Hopefully the theatre. Why was the Nike store in a bad location? There was literally a parking garage next to it.
It was on the farthest end of Nichols and didn't get as much foot traffic as more centrally located stores. It also didn't help that there were several empty spaces between Nike and the next closest store, Marine Layer. I think it's telling that Plaza 211 hasn't been completely full since opening several years ago, despite being the newest/most recently updated building on the Plaza.
Since Halls left that corner of the Plaza has been moribund. I remember when Fred P Otts and Harry Starkers were down on that end of the Plaza opposite Halls, along with the Plaza Theater, they created a lot of foot traffic but that's been a while back.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Good to hear the plaza it not totally dead. If anything kills the plaza, it will be social media.

I still say the plaza will be fine, but it has to evolve.

I think it should be the restaurant destination of KC.

It needs some high end theaters like IPIC which will keep the low end loitering types of theater demographic away.

It needs more density in many areas especially on top of parking garages.

It needs a pedestrian only corridor.

And it needs for the local news stations to find some story to run with besides how dangerous the plaza is to appeal to their demographic that never goes there anyway.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The plaza owners should be forced to spend a week in a proper Italian or Spanish plaza.

The solution is so obvious. Just pedestrianize it and have parking around the edges. Upzone everything as it comes up for development.

They already have the infrastructure because of the plaza art fair. Just set that shit up in what are now way too massive streets and surround them with tables. Have live music. Let stores set up kiosks to sell coffee or sports stuff.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:15 pm The plaza owners should be forced to spend a week in a proper Italian or Spanish plaza.

The solution is so obvious. Just pedestrianize it and have parking around the edges. Upzone everything as it comes up for development.

They already have the infrastructure because of the plaza art fair. Just set that shit up in what are now way too massive streets and surround them with tables. Have live music. Let stores set up kiosks to sell coffee or sports stuff.
Yep. The place is literally perfect for it.