OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by normalthings »

AllThingsKC wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:10 pm Don't rooms typically look larger without furniture?

I would think adding the chairs/counters/signs/etc would make the terminal look even more narrow.

Right now, it reminds me of Salt Lake City's airport, which I remember being adequate yet narrow.

But I don't work construction, so maybe all the pieces are needed to really make it come together.
Generally, empty rooms look small because, without furniture, you have no sense of scale. This is part of the reason why homes for sale are furnished.

https://www.nar.realtor/blogs/styled-st ... s-critical
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AllThingsKC wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:39 pm That terminal still doesn't look very wide.
This was my absolute biggest worry from the beginning. No room for expansion. They will start added retail carts and coffee kiosks and whatever and then there'll be golf carts for the handicapped coming through. It should have been much, much wider.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody can say at this point if it's a valid worry. I think it is not after seeing these pics
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:30 pm
AllThingsKC wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:39 pm That terminal still doesn't look very wide.
This was my absolute biggest worry from the beginning. No room for expansion. They will start added retail carts and coffee kiosks and whatever and then there'll be golf carts for the handicapped coming through. It should have been much, much wider.
There is a lot of space for expansion????? What do you even mean?

100' wide based on map measuring tool.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:02 pm

Not a chance. See those brown paper rolls sections on the ground? They are 4 foot wide. The walking area of the concourse is 40 feet wide, 50 max.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:22 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:02 pm

Not a chance. See those brown paper rolls sections on the ground? They are 4 foot wide. The walking area of the concourse is 40 feet wide, 50 max.
I’m saying the terminal is a total 100’ based on map measuring tool
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

normalthings wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:38 am I’m saying the terminal is a total 100’ based on map measuring tool
Yes, most of that is for sitting area/gating. But, what I’m saying is that they will eventually start filling the walking area with retail kiosks and small coffee stands, whatnot and it’s going to be a jumbled mess to get through.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I’m sure it’ll be fine once we’re actually in it. I’m withholding judgement until it’s done and I’m there in person
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:38 am
normalthings wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:38 am I’m saying the terminal is a total 100’ based on map measuring tool
Yes, most of that is for sitting area/gating. But, what I’m saying is that they will eventually start filling the walking area with retail kiosks and small coffee stands, whatnot and it’s going to be a jumbled mess to get through.
As somebody who has been in the terminal this month, it feels much bigger/wider in person than it looks in pictures.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm sorry I brought this back up, I thought the picture would help (it does).
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's really impossible to tell without being in the airport because a lot depends on the flow of people.

I think flights at kci turn over quick enough where there won't be lots of people in the walkways.

I don't think it's going to be like midway (way too narrow, constantly crowded in the wrong places, packed food area), but kcp is right that we need furniture.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

At the new KCI terminal, the longest hallway services 14 gates and is 100' wide and about 800' long.

One-half of a terminal in Atlanta serves 22 gates, is 1200' long and they vary between 65 and 90 feet wide overall. ATL doesn't do kiosks in the hall unless it's down at the end of the hallway, where there is less congestion.

Since the longest arm of the terminal is only 800 feet (about a third of the length of the old terminal A at MCI), you are going to be well within walking distance of the retail hub, so no need for kiosks.

ATL doesn't feel overly cramped to me except for terminal A which is the 65' wide one, and it's not horrible.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

You all have to remember this is not a larger hub or international airport. Most of the planes we are filling are 737s or A320's (less than 200 pass). I also don't anticipate us having every gate in use in a hall at all times so you'll have the ability to spill over to another gate most of the time. We will likely see some crowding right after a couple planes unload and likely right before some are boarding, but overall, I'm betting there is more than enough room for people to traverse, sit or stand as needed without being elbow to elbow. This feels very much like the new terminal at Houston Hobby. They have kiosks in the middle of the hall and it isn't terribly wide, but it works well and I've only seen serious crowding once or twice and it was short lived as a plane boarded or people left. If you're envisioning walking down the concourse without having to navigate the oblivious guy/gal talking on their phone or the family stopped in the middle trying to control their young, you're being naive. This looks like more than adequate space and will not lead to situations like we have in the current terminals.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think that's largely right. But most bad airports are where people get bunched up instead of naturally flowing. It's not about size always.

It's just hard to tell until they release more detailed information or let someone that's not a local tv reporter in to walk around. Southwest is the only one I'm a little worried about.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:32 am I think that's largely right. But most bad airports are where people get bunched up instead of naturally flowing. It's not about size always.

It's just hard to tell until they release more detailed information or let someone that's not a local tv reporter in to walk around. Southwest is the only one I'm a little worried about.
Airlines pick the dimensions and Southwest is the airline in the drivers seat
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I'm sure it will be fine when it opens. That's not what I'm worried about.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:32 am I think that's largely right. But most bad airports are where people get bunched up instead of naturally flowing. It's not about size always.

I've been in it recently and I'm not a reporter. It's going to be very nice and extremely spacious. Only area i could maybe see getting crowded is the food court area you will have to walk through to get to the outer wings.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:00 pm I'm sure it will be fine when it opens. That's not what I'm worried about.
Wasn’t that specifically the issue you brought up though? That it wouldn’t function?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:03 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:00 pm I'm sure it will be fine when it opens. That's not what I'm worried about.
Wasn’t that specifically the issue you brought up though? That it wouldn’t function?
I think it will function at the beginning without all the gates filled but once they start filling more gates, having more passengers and wanting to add items into that space I think it will get difficult and annoying. Could be totally wrong though. The space looks beautiful and I’m excited about the opportunity to have a nice front door foe the city.

Anyone know how wide the pre-security space in the current terminal is?