Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by FangKC »

These parcels have gone too long without development as well. They are under two different owners.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/926+W ... 94.5988638
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Heard that's slated for hotel but maybe waiting for market conditions to play out. Local hotel construction expected to cut back and the pipeline has been reduced. They should pursue residential.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:15 am At a time when so much multi-family residential is being built around KCMO, I'm still surprised that Price Brothers hasn't announced 12-story residential buildings for this parcel.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0434133 ... a=!3m1!1e3
If a hirise doesn't go there, would be a good spot for Chris to pursue rowhouses like the one on 34th off Main.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

earthling wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:31 am
FangKC wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:15 am At a time when so much multi-family residential is being built around KCMO, I'm still surprised that Price Brothers hasn't announced 12-story residential buildings for this parcel.

If a hirise doesn't go there, would be a good spot for Chris to pursue rowhouses like the one on 34th off Main.
I think that area needs to be at least 6 stories.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Also what’s happening with that large lot at 46th and summit?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Riverite wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:58 am
earthling wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:31 am

I think that area needs to be at least 6 stories.
At a minimum, it needs to be 12-story building(s). The apartment building (Townsend Place) on the south side of 46th Terrace is 12-stories, and so is the tower to the east--4646 Broadway. Parkway Towers--on Wornall--is 13-stories.

Highlander is correct. If the Country Club Plaza is going to survive, there needs to be much more density around it. New 4-story apartment buildings won't cut it.

The Tudors and the Dorset on Summit were wasted opportunities. The Tudors parcel especially should have been a residential tower and a lot more units.

These parcels between St. Luke's and Westport should also be developed with at minimum 12-story residential towers. The City should rezone it for that now.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/926+W ... 94.5988638
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree definitely more ideal. The rowhouses came to mind because there used to be a flavor of that in this stretch but on second thought not ideal. Taller/denser certainly better. And many of us for years have been saying Plaza needs more residential, including within the bowl.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Agreed the Tudors were too fancy and expensive for the market imho. Should have gone the apartment route with a more dense high end product instead of $1M townhouses. The Plaza Heights homes seemed like they hurt sales over there too.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

alejandro46 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:12 pm Agreed the Tudors were too fancy and expensive for the market imho. Should have gone the apartment route with a more dense high end product instead of $1M townhouses. The Plaza Heights homes seemed like they hurt sales over there too.
Are there still original Tudor units available? I looked at them and was tempted but passed. Too big of an HOA on top of an already substantial asking price. The Plaza Heights were much more up my alley but just a tiny bit too small for us. We came very close to pulling the trigger on one of these though. Something about 500 sq feet bigger would be very marketable in that area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There used to be more residential on the Plaza that was torn down for the Sheraton Hotel and an office building.

https://kchistory.org/image/700-block-w ... ffset%5D=1

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0423557 ... 384!8i8192
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Highlander wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:00 am
alejandro46 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:12 pm Agreed the Tudors were too fancy and expensive for the market imho. Should have gone the apartment route with a more dense high end product instead of $1M townhouses. The Plaza Heights homes seemed like they hurt sales over there too.
Are there still original Tudor units available? I looked at them and was tempted but passed. Too big of an HOA on top of an already substantial asking price. The Plaza Heights were much more up my alley but just a tiny bit too small for us. We came very close to pulling the trigger on one of these though. Something about 500 sq feet bigger would be very marketable in that area.
I had that in my post originally, as I thought they were, but I checked Zillow yesterday and there were none listed. It's possible that they were taken off the market. There has been 1-2 of them still for sale since they were constructed as well as one listed for like $1.9M that was a re-sale. I wish the market for high end Townhomes/Condos was better, but I dont blame anyone for getting cold feet for exactly those reasons. Your dollar goes further on a SFH, lower HOAs and they sell faster.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think townhouses would be more popular if they were not in the condo model, but separate SFHs that simply shared a firewall, just like many retail buildings do -- on their own parcel, not part of an HOA. No problem getting a bank loan having to meet some 50 percent sold rule, or deal with badly managed condominium fund where group owners skimp on maintenance, and once the place gets a bad reputation you have difficulty selling your unit.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kevin Collison reports that Dillards is negotiating with the Country Club Plaza for the former Nordstrom site.

Dillard’s Said to be in Talks for Plaza Nordstrom Site

https://cityscenekc.com/sources-dillard ... 13Q-xwOX6w
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

I think townhouses would be more popular if they were not in the condo model, but separate SFHs that simply shared a firewall

Oh that'd be lovely. Not nearly enough of this in KC.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Because not a lot Clothing Chains that are still in Business we don't have only missing Stage stores or Bloomingdale's or Meijer or so on.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

mgsports wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:25 am Because not a lot Clothing Chains that are still in Business we don't have only missing Stage stores or Bloomingdale's or Meijer or so on.
I hate to break it to you, but Stage went under two years ago now and their small stores were in a tier with Sears clothing quality wise.

I think Dillards is a terrible fit. They already have three locations scattered between four buildings in the Metro, Dillard’s prefers larger stores and has not cut back on that in recent years, and you know the fact that Dillard’s couldn’t make a store that was not terribly smaller than what the Plaza Nordstrom was going to be work 40 years ago. Dillards has somewhat been getting rid of the Home Department, something Macy’s did several years ago, but I think they’d have a tough time making it with the neighborhoods who already didn’t shop at the Plaza Dillard’s, Mission Dillard’s, Landing Dillard’s, and Ward Parkway Dillard’s once.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

A Saks Fifth Avenue would be more appropriate for that location. I believe the reason they closed the original store on the Plaza was that it was too small.

I think that if Tulsa, Indianapolis, and St Louis can support one so could Kansas City.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

FangKC wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:45 pm I think townhouses would be more popular if they were not in the condo model, but separate SFHs that simply shared a firewall, just like many retail buildings do -- on their own parcel, not part of an HOA. No problem getting a bank loan having to meet some 50 percent sold rule, or deal with badly managed condominium fund where group owners skimp on maintenance, and once the place gets a bad reputation you have difficulty selling your unit.
Like this? https://www.zillow.com/homes/3106-Howel ... 1357_zpid/
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

taxi wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:16 pm
FangKC wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:45 pm I think townhouses would be more popular if they were not in the condo model, but separate SFHs that simply shared a firewall, just like many retail buildings do -- on their own parcel, not part of an HOA. No problem getting a bank loan having to meet some 50 percent sold rule, or deal with badly managed condominium fund where group owners skimp on maintenance, and once the place gets a bad reputation you have difficulty selling your unit.
Like this? https://www.zillow.com/homes/3106-Howel ... 1357_zpid/
I looked at buying one of these as an investment back when they were like $280-300k but they require owner-occupancy for 3 years. I like these THs but they do seem to sell a bit slower than all the adjacent villas.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

JCPENNY's? Nordstrom Rack?

Bealls have stores in OK. In Iowa/Wisconsin has like Boston store and so on.

Ward Parkway Shops already has TJMAXX,Ross,Old Navy.