New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Not saying I want this- but if we were to put the Chiefs downtown, what would be the closest spot we could get it into?

I always keep thinking it’s Penn Valley Park.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:27 pm The discussion is centered around where the Chiefs will want to take a deal to go, not what’s the best for the city. I think Kansas will pay to have the Chiefs.

I do care about the surroundings of the Chiefs. Having retail would help get events. The biggest negative for Chiefs in Kansas is they’re too stupid about transit over there. Biggest positive is that it’s much nicer surroundings and amenities.
Arrowhead is literally 8 miles from downtown and 6 miles from the plaza. It's a potential future rail transit connection to the urban core somewhere. Why does everybody act like the TSC is in Grain Valley? If a stadium went to KS it would likely end up near Bonner Springs or the outer reaches of Olathe, Lenexa or Overland Park, all of which are two to three times as far from downtown as the TSC is.

A whole lot more people that come to town for games will spend their money and stay in hotels far from downtown in a different state that competes with the city. That would be one more reason to build a big new hotel in JoCo or western WyCo vs KCMO.

The Chiefs remaining at the TSC is 1 million percent better for the overall health of the city and the entire metro than them moving to KS. It would be just as stupid as moving the stadium to Tiffany Springs in the Northland or the outskirts Lee's Summit or Raymore.

A rarely used 80,000 seat football stadium that needs 20,000 parking spaces would be terrible if placed anywhere near downtown. It's totally fine where it is.

Move the Royals downtown and let the Chiefs have the TSC. But for the love of god, do not move them further out into the suburbs.

PS, I don't think KS has the ability to build a billion dollar plus stadium. The KS side is already over retailed. Are they going to STAR bond the entire county or state to pay for it? I honestly think the voters would rather chip in a little for a new or renovated TSC stadium than pay a whole lot more to build a proper 1.5 billion dollar stadium in KS that would be way out in the middle of nowhere.

I see a renovated Arrowhead Stadium funded by Jackson County with maybe the help from Clay County. That's over a million people so it should be doable by just renewing the current tax. It could even be enough to help fund a new downtown baseball stadium too.

The Chiefs do not need a new stadium either. Arrowhead could easily last another few decades with another renovation.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I've got to check out of this thread for a while. I think everything I could possibly say on this topic has been fleshed out pretty well. ^100% yes to everything GRID just said. Love reading this forum and Alkali, you add a lot of liveliness to it. Appreciate your passion for all things KC but man this is the place where your worst takes come out IMO. Happy to agree to disagree with you. I'm sure we'll have a lot of other fun debates as time goes on.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

downtown stadium for the Chiefs is not a great idea. If you lose tailgating, then you lose like 70% of the experience going to the game IMO. People love to tailgate and the atmosphere it creates. Doing it downtown would take that away and be left with just a generic experience. I'm a very hard pass and NO on downtown Arrowhead.

I still say when Royals move downtown that leaves the entire TSC to the Chiefs for them to create the ultimate stadium and facilities that is 100% their own. With all that space they could do amazing things and development. Even create something that is a draw outside of game day.

Baseball with 82 home games and a lot of week day evening games lends itself so much better to a downtown/neighborhood/Urban environment. Bars and places to eat before a ball game make sense. Football not so much,
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:49 pm I've got to check out of this thread for a while. I think everything I could possibly say on this topic has been fleshed out pretty well. ^100% yes to everything GRID just said. Love reading this forum and Alkali, you add a lot of liveliness to it. Appreciate your passion for all things KC but man this is the place where your worst takes come out IMO. Happy to agree to disagree with you. I'm sure we'll have a lot of other fun debates as time goes on.
Flippant, my only “take” here is that TSC is a giant piece of shit. That’s just common sense.

I don’t particularly care as much where the Chiefs go as it seems. At the end of the day, it’s a stadium used 10 times a year. My observation is that I’m skeptical where MO gets the money after they fund the Royals, and it seems KS could jump in there. I don’t see why that’s illogical.

I appreciate your passion for KC, but “perhaps you should go to a different forum to give your takes”.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

Does anyone know anything about all the vacant land south of TSC? Half of it is owned by the city and half by the county. Is there any reason it couldn't be developed? Build transit, build TOD, and suddenly the stadium is tied in much better with the urban core.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Wow, I remember literally *yesterday* that the “worst take” was saying Chiefs will consider Kansas- funny how that happens!…and now…

From this morning: “ Chiefs prez Mark Donovan, when asked this AM about potential new stadium options, said the team has considered options in state of Kansas. They like Arrowhead and legacy of Lamar Hunt’s stadium, but have been pitched by Kansas developers on a bunch of options. Something to watch.”

https://twitter.com/bykevinclark/status ... 5ybPJRruUw

And again, it’s fine- let Kansas shoulder the cost of paying $1.5 bil for a stadium that’s used 10 times a year! Stop making KCMO shoulder burden after burden!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:51 am Yeah KC won't have enough to keep the Royals and Chiefs. NFL teams have trended to moving to the burbs anyway
^Exactly on both takes. I don’t see why that’s so hard to understand. It’s just the logic after paying Royals.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

They'll "consider" anything. There's no substantive information in that answer. I don't share the apparent certainty that others in this thread have that the team would never move to Kansas, but I do think building in a greenfield in western JoCo is a terrible idea (which would by no means stop them from doing it) and I'm still not clear on why that is your "preference."
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if the city of Glendale Arizona regrets building an arena and football stadium. The NHL team basically got kicked out of the arena in glendale, most people in the east valley hate driving to Glendale so football suffers. Arrowhead is in a decent central location with easy highway access. People in blue springs and grain valley will be turned off if it's located at K10 and K7 or legends.

Arlington i understand. It's fairly center to the metropolex but if chiefs move to a fringe part of Johnson county or dotte I think it's a bad idea
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

phuqueue wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:02 pm They'll "consider" anything. There's no substantive information in that answer. I don't share the apparent certainty that others in this thread have that the team would never move to Kansas, but I do think building in a greenfield in western JoCo is a terrible idea (which would by no means stop them from doing it) and I'm still not clear on why that is your "preference."
I mean look, end of the day the Chiefs would prob go to Village West if they went to Kansas. That’s where I’d predict they’d go.it makes the most sense.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

We have had a developers pitch us a project in KS is not the same as we want/will move to KS. Chiefs will use KS as leverage to get what they want. None of this is surprising, and it's not a mere concidence that they are saying this the day after the Bills get a $1B+ deal from NY.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Might just be a leverage play but not out of question.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:14 pm We have had a developers pitch us a project in KS is not the same as we want/will move to KS. Chiefs will use KS as leverage to get what they want. None of this is surprising, and it's not a mere concidence that they are saying this the day after the Bills get a $1B+ deal from NY.
The point was about people who say bullshit like “they will never go to Kansas” and scoff with “oh the renewed stadium tax will be enough”

Secondly, one thing is abundantly clear now- the state government of Missouri is gonna have to get fully involved if they want to keep the Chiefs. Been warning that part yesterday, and for a while. A little renewed earnings tax isn’t gonna cut it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Time for this to get out there and the conversation started.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:18 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:14 pm We have had a developers pitch us a project in KS is not the same as we want/will move to KS. Chiefs will use KS as leverage to get what they want. None of this is surprising, and it's not a mere concidence that they are saying this the day after the Bills get a $1B+ deal from NY.
The point was about people who say bullshit like “they will never go to Kansas” and scoff with “oh the renewed stadium tax will be enough”

Secondly, one thing is abundantly clear now- the state government of Missouri is gonna have to get fully involved if they want to keep the Chiefs. Been warning that part yesterday, and for a while. A little renewed earnings tax isn’t gonna cut it.
Quinton Lucas agrees
Quinton Lucas wrote: Kansas City has proudly hosted the Chiefs since the early 1960s. We look forward to working with the Chiefs, our state of Missouri partners, and local officials to ensure the Chiefs remain home in Kansas City and Missouri for generations to come.
https://twitter.com/QuintonLucasKC/stat ... 6723876871
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:38 pm Time for this to get out there and the conversation started.
Hey, I tried warning them all yesterday! They was pissed

I’m sure they’ll double down now and such
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Stateline Stadium. 50 yard line is the boarder
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Interesting Tweet by Matt Staub. Couple places where the Chiefs can take advantage of KS tax dollars, make their own mark and be closer to Downtown KC. I don't know if Kansas would give incentives to some of these places since they likely wouldn't benefit as much as they would for Village West, but interesting to think about.

TSC has had decades to figure it out and any one of these spots would be better connected on day 1.
Matt Staub wrote: Amazing how so many people think of KCK as just Village West. It's an incredibly interesting city of its own. So many places a stadium could go in Kansas that aren't on the fringe of the metro.

Just a few examples.
https://twitter.com/staubio/status/1508861130818691073

Last edited by Cratedigger on Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

The fairfax area wouldn’t be the worst, would still prefer it if they redid the Truman complex with an entertainment district and connected it with a train that ran through east side to Lee’s summit