OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by chrizow »

yeah unless i'm in NYC, i would much rather take an Uber than a taxi. (and now NYC taxis are on apps anyway)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So are all the retail and dining options just as they were announced last year? I thought there was still some approvals that had to be done. I know chic fila is now out too. Other than that is the vendor list finalized?

Given we are a year out I'd expect them to be ramping up news and excitement
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Hey guys I’m just here to give the daily reminder that, even though nobody’s been inside the new airport, it sucks and fell short of all expectations and I might not ever use it because it doesn’t have a fountain
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

freedog wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:47 am
GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:46 am
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:50 pm Yeah let's hope they do Uber pickups in a dedicated garage area.
Or outlaw ubers at the airport lol. I use them occasionally, but ubers are a nuisance to most cities and in my recent travels, I find ride shares to cost more than taxis now.

It's so much easier to just walk out of a terminal and just get in the first cab in a line of cabs too. I personally hope cabs make a comeback.
No way, you have to at least give people the option for an Uber/Lyft. There's a lot of people that feel more comfortable with those apps than a taxi
Yeah, I was kidding which is why I included the LOL. Uber and other ride shares not going anywhere. But they are a big nuisance and have only made center cities and airport terminals and any large events more congested. Taxis serve a purpose and airport terminals are one of the places they work well. When you have lots of people and lots of cars trying to find each other at the same time vs just people grabbing at a taxi at a queue, it just make things chaotic.

Like you said, many taxi companies have apps, but you have to have a very large fleet for the aps to work (which is why they work in Manhattan). I'm sure KCI will maintain some sort of taxi stand and it will be much easier to use than the current system where you have to find a phone, call a cab and go through all that vs just walking out to the curb and finding the taxi queue.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:03 pm Hey guys I’m just here to give the daily reminder that, even though nobody’s been inside the new airport, it sucks and fell short of all expectations and I might not ever use it because it doesn’t have a fountain
Compared to nearly any new terminal, the new KCI terminal is going to be a relatively boring very budget/economy airport terminal. You just can't get around that. I'm sorry if you are so offended by reality. It's a couple of boxes with a hallway between them. Hopefully the artwork will help offset that.

That doesn't mean it will not be an absolute pleasure to fly into or out of compared to not only the old KCI terminals, but also many other airports around the country that are dated, not user friendly etc. The new terminal will be such an amazing improvement despite it being a budget friendly terminal.

What is most mind boggling is how many people in KC are still pissed that they replaced those shitty terminals. You know because they don't go to the airport to shop. Or something like that.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:34 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:03 pm Hey guys I’m just here to give the daily reminder that, even though nobody’s been inside the new airport, it sucks and fell short of all expectations and I might not ever use it because it doesn’t have a fountain
What is most mind boggling is how many people in KC are still pissed that they replaced those shitty terminals. You know because they don't go to the airport to shop. Or something like that.
The more shopping at the airport, the nicer an airport you can afford or the lower fees you can charge
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:38 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:34 pm
The more shopping at the airport, the nicer an airport you can afford
But those people obviously don't care about the airport being "nice".
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:34 pm I'm sorry if you are so offended by reality.
You’ve literally never been inside that airport before
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:01 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:34 pm I'm sorry if you are so offended by reality.
You’ve literally never been inside that airport before
First let me repeat myself:
That doesn't mean it will not be an absolute pleasure to fly into or out of compared to not only the old KCI terminals, but also many other airports around the country that are dated, not user friendly etc. The new terminal will be such an amazing improvement despite it being a budget friendly terminal.
Then I will say this.

Google "new airport terminal" and look at the pics of all the new terminals that have been built or are under construction. Then look at the renderings and construction pics of KCI's new terminal. You don't have to step inside any of them to see the difference. At least I don't.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

*shrugs* I’ll see when I’m inside it
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:16 pm *shrugs* I’ll see when I’m inside it
There is nothing really wrong with the new terminal being a "budget" terminal. Stop taking that so personally. I wish it were more exciting and interesting architecturally, but does it really have to be? Probably not.

People are going to remember the experience, the amenities, flow etc. And while not the flashiest terminal, it should be trimmed out enough to leave a great first and last impression for the city.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm surprised they invested in the green light / red light for bathroom stalls that then also feeds to the entrance to tell you how many open stalls there are. Seems nicer than a basic budget airport. They also invested in things I haven't noticed in new airports like sensory room, place to check out a mockup of a plane to help calm fears of a first time flier, etc. The city market concept seems way nicer than just a basic food court setup too.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:25 pm
There is nothing really wrong with the new terminal being a "budget" terminal. Stop taking that so personally. I wish it were more exciting and interesting architecturally, but does it really have to be? Probably not.
You gotta chill. I’m literally just saying wait & see
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:08 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:25 pm
You gotta chill. I’m literally just saying wait & see
Dude you're the one trolling when no one else brought it up. Your shtick is getting tiresome.

It's a thread about the new airport. People are going to offer their opinions here about the new airport.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:17 pm Dude you're the one trolling when no one else brought it up. Your shtick is getting tiresome.

It's a thread about the new airport. People are going to offer their opinions here about the new airport.
And it is my opinion that the declarations about the airport are premature. And that you also shouldn’t triggered by “I’ll wait & see”

And if by “schtick” you mean challenging your assumptions that most everything KC does is shitty, a low bar, mediocre, terrible, etc. then…sorry? Someone’s gotta push back against it
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:57 pm I'm surprised they invested in the green light / red light for bathroom stalls that then also feeds to the entrance to tell you how many open stalls there are. Seems nicer than a basic budget airport. They also invested in things I haven't noticed in new airports like sensory room, place to check out a mockup of a plane to help calm fears of a first time flier, etc. The city market concept seems way nicer than just a basic food court setup too.
Well that's what will set it apart. The little red and green lights above the stalls! I'm joking I'm joking.

I do think the city market thing will be pretty cool.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:45 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:57 pm I'm surprised they invested in the green light / red light for bathroom stalls that then also feeds to the entrance to tell you how many open stalls there are. Seems nicer than a basic budget airport. They also invested in things I haven't noticed in new airports like sensory room, place to check out a mockup of a plane to help calm fears of a first time flier, etc. The city market concept seems way nicer than just a basic food court setup too.
Well that's what will set it apart. The little red and green lights above the stalls! I'm joking I'm joking.

Why is the airport so far away and not built closer to the city when we had a chance to rebuild it?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's not that far from the city.

You do realize that only a new terminal was built right? To build a whole new airport in another part of the metro would cost many billions of dollars. The runways and taxiway systems alone would be multi billions of dollars and that's before you purchase the land and flatten it etc. You have the rental car facility, all the satellite parking lots, the ATC Tower, the list goes on and on.

There is no place to put it that would be closer to the city. But it's really not that far. Just 20 minutes from downtown.

The original plan was to build the new terminal on the south side of the runways closer to Highway 152 which would have put the terminal a few miles closer to downtown but that would have required an additional half billion in highway infrastructure improvements as well as some tunnels under the east/west runway.
Last edited by GRID on Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

very recent view of KCI airport construction from JetBlue flight

https://youtu.be/hsxzEc4SVgc?t=1469
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:45 pm

For a project that they admit was budget aware, the bathroom tech was a surprise spend to me. That's my only point with that comment. We didn't go bare bones on everything.