10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 10th and Main Southwest Corner (former transit center)

Post by normalthings »

The selected developer has some good projects. Not a local group. Published online if you know where to look
Pastense
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pastense »

The local Abend Singleton firm took the triangular elements of Pei's design and created the much better building that we see today.
Shout out to Steve & Kite.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:23 pm The selected developer has some good projects. Not a local group. Published online if you know where to look
I heard no locals submitted for this at all
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:42 pm it looked like they were tearing down or getting started. It was on the back corner close to the apartments. I'm not sure how to tell how deep.
I'm not in the city until June so if you could elaborate more to help me visualize. Are they digging closer to the staircase in the back corner or closer towards W 10th St?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This should be a fun one. I'd hope the chosen proposal includes the office and retail components of the RFP + some residential. The more people that can live in downtown, and on the streetcar line, the better. 12 floors seems right for something at this site.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:40 pm This thread is literally only two pages long, just go back a page
So it’s a new HQ for the KCATA?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

daGOAT wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:18 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:42 pm it looked like they were tearing down or getting started. It was on the back corner close to the apartments. I'm not sure how to tell how deep.
I'm not in the city until June so if you could elaborate more to help me visualize. Are they digging closer to the staircase in the back corner or closer towards W 10th St?
I saw them by the stairs
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

If it's by the stairs I'm thinking whatever they build will have a setback from the corner. Can't wait to find out more.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The new structure should have an indoor transit center on the ground floor. Even if just a very small one like the east village or what was there before. Especially if the ATA is actually in the building. It's very odd that KC doesn't have more proper transit centers especially on the streetcar line.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:24 pm The new structure should have an indoor transit center on the ground floor. Even if just a very small one like the east village or what was there before. Especially if the ATA is actually in the building. It's very odd that KC doesn't have more proper transit centers especially on the streetcar line.
Is there any meaningful remaining transit service at 10th & Main? With the requirement to keep the fountain, the floor plates here are very small. Would rather have retail
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I doubt there will be any major bus stops at that intersection. When I was in high school, and getting my first job at Power and Light, I would transfer here at least once a day. There was always a lot of fighting, drug use, sleeping on benches and I'm sure the city wants to keep that further away from the streetcar line. It's eerily quiet now but will be vibrant once again with a better crowd of people. All while bus connections remain a block away.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Some jo buses still use 10th is the only other thing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:07 pm Some jo buses still use 10th is the only other thing.
Only in one direction.

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

earthling wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm
Woah that is quite the render. Hardly looks like KC for a second, until I saw the streetcar. Also - it looks like it abuts up directly to the parking garage or it that just the angle? Nice location for a Target or grocery store on the ground level too...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Just a vision/concept. Would be wonderful if they can pull off something like this.
Although not set in stone, the development team's preliminary aim is to build 70% of the tower's residences as market-rate units, with the 30% balance offered at different affordability levels, Stricker said.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... tower.html
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The nonprofit RideKC Development Corp. recently picked Live and Ride Partners KC LLC — which includes Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate, Community Builders of Kansas City and Parson + Associates — through a request-for-proposals for the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority's former transit center site southwest of 10th and Main streets...

Although multiple project variables remain fluid, Live and Ride Partners KC proposes a transit-oriented development in partnership with RideKC and KCATA, envisioned in excess of 20 stories and $100 million...

...The team also contemplates about 30,000 square feet of office over two or three levels, meant to serve as regional headquarters for KCATA and RideKC. The floors above would have around 200 market-rate, workforce and affordable apartments.
Bus hub moved to Wyandotte, focus on scooters, bikeshare, streetcar stop.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... tower.html
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:03 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm
Woah that is quite the render. Hardly looks like KC for a second, until I saw the streetcar. Also - it looks like it abuts up directly to the parking garage or it that just the angle? Nice location for a Target or grocery store on the ground level too...
looks like low or no parking. Lower base floors would be office for KCATA. Rendering is 28+ floors but the article just says 20+. Design I am sure is still in flux, this is just the "sexy" rendering from their bid
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

earthling wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm Image
Would love to see something like that
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think it looks nice. Even a 20 floor version of this would look great there. Much larger than I was expecting. The part I like are the double height spaces throughout the tower, ground floor looks like it'll be top notch too.