Turn the North Loop into a bigger living/working district?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Turn the North Loop into a bigger living/working district?

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If the city was following that then the Hotel President would have been demolished.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

^^^
You are assuming that the plan is inflexable?
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I think that the downtown would be better if both the north and south loops were capped. These two areas are the most wasted airspace that there is. I do like the live work concept of downtown as it gives those who work downtown an option in housing. The future skyscrapers should be done with retail on the ground floor, offices on the bottom 1/2 and residential the rest of the way up. this is the case in point with the John Hancock tower in Chicago. Believe it or not the people living neer the top of the tower have to call down to the lobby just to see what the weather is like at street level.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Appraiser wrote: ^^^
You are assuming that the plan is inflexable?
I realize that the plan is flexible.  My point was that it is a guideline, not something that is set is stone and that is all that can happen.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Not sure if this has ever been shared before:

https://www.cnu.org/highways-boulevards ... are%20made.

But it notes in here that "An Urban Land Institute panel on the North Loop removal indicates that market conditions would be prime starting in 2028, so Kansas City should begin planning now."
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:43 am Not sure if this has ever been shared before:

But it notes in here that "An Urban Land Institute panel on the North Loop removal indicates that market conditions would be prime starting in 2028, so Kansas City should begin planning now."
Why 2028?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

freedog wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:25 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:43 am Not sure if this has ever been shared before:

Why 2028?
Without even looking at the ULI thing, I’d say they give that date because most projects in the pipeline will be done by then, leased, and more proposed. As land in the heart of downtown becomes limited, same with vacant buildings (which it seems the ones that are vacant have a plan or are under renovation, the attention will turn to those North Loop parking lots.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This was one of the studies that either came from or prompted beyond the loop project idea.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:31 am This was one of the studies that either came from or prompted beyond the loop project idea.
They still have a good point though. The new bridge will make the north loop antiquated soon.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

North Loop and the 9 removal should definitely be huge priorities for future growth and better connection in the urban core. Literally would be catalytic.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:14 pm North Loop and the 9 removal should definitely be huge priorities for future growth and better connection in the urban core. Literally would be catalytic.
I'll say it again, I'm not why it isn't our top priority currently anyway

The bridge is done. All the other big public projects are done or being completed. There's reason for this not to be next.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:33 pm
daGOAT wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:14 pm North Loop and the 9 removal should definitely be huge priorities for future growth and better connection in the urban core. Literally would be catalytic.

The bridge is done. All the other big public projects are done or being completed. There's reason for this not to be next.
I think the South Loop will get done this decade and the North Loop is the next move, which would probably happen around the same time as a downtown Royal stadium would, which coincidences with the 2028 date stated in the study.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

daGOAT wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:51 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:33 pm

I think the South Loop will get done this decade and the North Loop is the next move, which would probably happen around the same time as a downtown Royal stadium would, which coincidences with the 2028 date stated in the study.
South loop I doubt will take a decade. My guess is they already start on it relatively soon. Now perhaps all 7 squares getting filled instead of 4 will take a decade yes. North loop...I'm not sure on that one but I figure once south loop is announced all attention is turned to that one.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:17 pm South loop I doubt will take a decade. My guess is they already start on it relatively soon. Now perhaps all 7 squares getting filled instead of 4 will take a decade yes. North loop...I'm not sure on that one but I figure once south loop is announced all attention is turned to that one.
South Loop doesn't get done until Cordish has built on all their existing plots. They'll agree to pay for the decking in exchange for the land under Truman. Will build on the Calverts and east of Main at the same time.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

We really do need to attract more developers.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

FangKC wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:04 pm We really do need to attract more developers.
Religious, or not, I believe we can all give an AMEN to that !!!
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

AMEN to more developers and along with it more interest. Just keep that ball rolling and get it as big as it can.

As for the South Loop capping I would think there would be a large urgency to at least start it within the next 2 years to take advantage of the known positives in the current administration in Washington and secure as many dollars as possible. That is happening now and that will be the biggest driver of this project and could get the thing going. It's a win/win project that politicians can get behind and take credit for but honestly as long as it get done it benefits all
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

FangKC wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:04 pm We really do need to attract more developers.
Can start by not chasing off the ones they have.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:26 am AMEN to more developers and along with it more interest. Just keep that ball rolling and get it as big as it can.

As for the South Loop capping I would think there would be a large urgency to at least start it within the next 2 years to take advantage of the known positives in the current administration in Washington and secure as many dollars as possible. That is happening now and that will be the biggest driver of this project and could get the thing going. It's a win/win project that politicians can get behind and take credit for but honestly as long as it get done it benefits all
That’s what I’ve been hearing as well. The infrastructure project sped up this project timeline and grant money. Made it possible to get done by summer World Cup.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:28 pm
Can start by not chasing off the ones they have.
Those blood-sucking, luxury building capitalists!