Capping the Loop

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Capping the Loop

Post by GRID »

I saw the plan. Here is is:

They plan to announce a cap for the south loop, the removal of the north loop and a rebuilding/reconfiguration of the east loop to accommodate a baseball stadium and surrounding development.

Also, a comprehensive parks and levee plan that will include the repurposing of the Broadway Bridge and a greenway system connecting Downtown to the KS and MO rivers and Penn Valley Park.

Penn Valley Park itself will receive a major overhaul including the relocation of Broadway through traffic to SW Trafficway which will allow the two halves of the park to be merged by filling in much of the space Broadway once occupied.

A new pedestrian/cycling/transit bridge to cross the river which will accommodate streetcars to NKC and BRT to KCI, Gladstone and Liberty.

Additional Streetcar lines on Indep Ave, Troost and east west routes in Midtown.

The rebuilding of I-70 from Downtown to 435 which will include LRT running along Truman from the convention center area east before picking up new I-70 right of way near the big USPS distribution center. The first phase of LRT will end at the new Arrowhead stadium and Kauffman Amphitheater (the former baseball stadium will be downsized to a concert venue.) This will prep Truman Road east of downtown to become the hottest high density residential corridor in the city.

Oh and a people mover for KCI's new terminal.

I think that's most of it.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

fun
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Dear god I hope that’s not a joke
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Did every penny of the infrastructure bill get allocated to KC? Not that I’m complaining.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Pretty ambitious and transformative stuff.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This sounds like a private sector wish list that KCMO has no way of pulling off or providing the local match for.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 pm They plan to announce a cap for the south loop, the removal of the north loop and a rebuilding/reconfiguration of the east loop to accommodate a baseball stadium and surrounding development.
Roadwork cost of $1 billion.
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 pm Also, a comprehensive parks and levee plan that will include the repurposing of the Broadway Bridge and a greenway system connecting Downtown to the KS and MO rivers and Penn Valley Park.
Sounds realistic. I thought there was a push to do this as a part of all of the hundreds of millions in upgrades that just started.
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 pm Penn Valley Park itself will receive a major overhaul including the relocation of Broadway through traffic to SW Trafficway which will allow the two halves of the park to be merged by filling in much of the space Broadway once occupied.
LastGent wishlist item
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 pm A new pedestrian/cycling/transit bridge to cross the river which will accommodate streetcars to NKC and BRT to KCI, Gladstone and Liberty.

Additional Streetcar lines on Indep Ave, Troost and east west routes in Midtown.
I think Dave would have heard about this if true....
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 pm The rebuilding of I-70 from Downtown to 435 which will include LRT running along Truman from the convention center area east before picking up new I-70 right of way near the big USPS distribution center. The first phase of LRT will end at the new Arrowhead stadium and Kauffman Amphitheater (the former baseball stadium will be downsized to a concert venue.) This will prep Truman Road east of downtown to become the hottest high density residential corridor in the city.
I had heard very positive comments about rail to TSC.
GRID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 pm Oh and a people mover for KCI's new terminal.
Doubtful if there is also KCI rail?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 pm I saw the plan. Here is is:

They plan to announce a cap for the south loop
And in reality, this is all it will be lol.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Grid you could have at least made it halfway believable lol
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's just my dream master plan if I had a few billion. Figured it was obvious. I seriously doubt any big projects listed here are announced, probably just the annual city spending plan.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:13 pm Doubtful if there is also KCI rail?
No rail all the way to KCI. BRT to KCI. People mover a stand alone system.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:25 pm It's just my dream master plan if I had a few billion. Figured it was obvious. I seriously doubt any big projects listed here are announced, probably just the annual city spending plan.
I share many of the same dreams. Just comparing where we are vs. your vision. Some pieces seem to be coming true!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

KC 2022 Wishlist Thread is that way brother GRID :D
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think Grid must have opened a medical marijuana dispensary and has been doing some product research in his spare time. :lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I would love KC to come up with a regional big time plan like OKC's MAP
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:33 pm I would love KC to come up with a regional big time plan like OKC's MAP
What’s the OKC map
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Obviously my little list is somewhat of a pipedream at least all at once in within the next few years. However, most of that list is very doable over the next 10-15 years. Nothing on that list is crazy. It just takes the leadership and people to make it happen.

Honestly, if you have a 10-20 year plan and it's not as aggressive as what I listed, then what is the point? Personally, I would be disappointed if the only thing KCMO pulls off over the next 10-15 years is a few more miles of streetcar.

Honestly, I was being somewhat conservative. By 2040, KC should have LRT extensions going on beyond the stadiums. There might be a downtown soccer stadium by then. Even the freeway loop overhaul is not that big of a project relatively speaking. It would cost probably cost 500 million to do the entire loop today, most of that could be federal money.

Rebuild the I-70 and Truman Road corridors east of downtown, Pen Valley Park, additional streetcar lines on Troost, Indep Ave etc. This is stuff KC should be able to do over the next couple of decades.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So when are we gonna know what the "big infrastructure project" is that started this whole conversation?

P.S.- I do think we're due for something from that infra bill.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Sec Pete is in town to talk about the Infastructure bill.

Would love that to mean there would be an announcement of something related to the South Loop Cap. But looks like he'll be in KCK.
Press conference at 11:20 a.m. at Rock Island Bridge to announce the "expansion of a program, funded by the President’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, that can improve the safety and sustainability of America’s infrastructure."