Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by earthling »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... eball.html
To assist with this early ballpark exploration, the Royals already have enlisted at least one Kansas City sports architecture firm, Populous, real estate sources have told the Kansas City Business Journal.

The pre-groundbreaking process for a prospective downtown stadium — including land assembly, utilities work and governmental approvals — could take four or more years, on top of at least two years of construction.
"To me, what I think is non-negotiable would be to turn our backs to our investment in the streetcar system," Proebstle said. "It'd be critically important for us to take advantage of that investment that we as a community have made in our public transportation system."
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:13 pm Biz Journal says Populous is working on this.
Anxious to see what renderings they come out with. Also just as curious to see people try to pick it apart.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:53 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:13 pm Biz Journal says Populous is working on this.
Anxious to see what renderings they come out with. Also just as curious to see people try to pick it apart.
At this point, could just be running site options past Populous to determine feasibility. Does not indicate they have selected a site.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Is interesting that KCBJ's source on Populous involvement is through 'real estate sources'.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The more I think about it, I think the amenities surrounding the stadium (the buildings, stores, etc.) are more important than the stadium itself. At the end of the day, a stadium is a stadium. I'm less concerned about that, I'm sure the stadium itself will be fine. I think the underrated aspect is *what are we gonna get surrounding it* more than anything else. I'd be alot more interested in learning about those ideas for the surroundings than the stadium itself. I love the buildings behind the stadium on those brief renderings we had.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Goonies wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:28 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:31 am The more I think about it, I think the amenities surrounding the stadium (the buildings, stores, etc.) are more important than the stadium itself. At the end of the day, a stadium is a stadium. I'm less concerned about that, I'm sure the stadium itself will be fine. I think the underrated aspect is *what are we gonna get surrounding it* more than anything else. I'd be alot more interested in learning about those ideas for the surroundings than the stadium itself. I love the buildings behind the stadium on those brief renderings we had.
Can we rebuild the ugly AT&T building?
Oh but it’s not ugly, it’s just “historic” and “fits the neighborhood” is usually the excuse
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Goonies wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:28 am Can we rebuild the ugly AT&T building?
Aesthetics is never a reason to tear down a building

If we had let aesthetics determine what buildings we keep we would have a lot less Art Deco buildings in this country. Look at how many old buildings were reskinned like Oak Tower
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

At least turn the AT&T Longlines building into some type of electronic billboard with maybe a zip headline thing running around it. It would add a bit of pizzazz. Advertise downtown events on it as well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^That could work if pulled off right and near arena/P&L right area appropriate to have that. Otherwise just fake windows would work too.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

Being an ATT cell customer I’m sure they would love to put a major electronic advertising/info sign on that ugly building if they could charge big bucks to use it. And maybe we could find a way to make an Oak Tower historic renovation happen too. That would really clean up our otherwise attractive skyline (with new taller towers someday please!).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Major KC Fan wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:21 am Being an ATT cell customer I’m sure they would love to put a major electronic advertising/info sign on that ugly building if they could charge big bucks to use it. And maybe we could find a way to make an Oak Tower historic renovation happen too. That would really clean up our otherwise attractive skyline (with new taller towers someday please!).
I don't think it can be a video billboard unless it promotes something on the site. This is the loophole that allows video screens next to T-Mobile Center and inside P&L. What would AT&T promote on that site that we'd want to look at? 5G switches?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:51 pm
Major KC Fan wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:21 am Being an ATT cell customer I’m sure they would love to put a major electronic advertising/info sign on that ugly building if they could charge big bucks to use it. And maybe we could find a way to make an Oak Tower historic renovation happen too. That would really clean up our otherwise attractive skyline (with new taller towers someday please!).
I don't think it can be a video billboard unless it promotes something on the site. This is the loophole that allows video screens next to T-Mobile Center and inside P&L. What would AT&T promote on that site that we'd want to look at? 5G switches?
Why is that a rule? Regardless, they could promote their national connectivity or something (through these large buildings in every city).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

We know that the City Council can issue waivers for practically anything.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chiefs owner Clark Hunter talks about exploring the possibilities the Chiefs could do if the Royals move

https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/statu ... 34661?s=20

I just wanted to bring this up because this is the first time I've seen essentially no pushback on social media against moving Royals downtown when the subject was brought up *again* yesterday.

There seems to be alot of sentiment out there now that is like "Oh, well I suppose if we could use the Kauffman Stadium area to make a Chiefs entertainment complex..." is really appealing to alot of fans. This is basically what Clark Hunt hinted at could happen in his press conference as well. I just thought it was surprising how few of the traditional "how dare they move!" comments were out there this time. Maybe there's a growing acceptance and inevitability. Fans are seeming to cope with it alot better if the Chiefs are getting entertainment complex out of it.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... oming-year

"There has been momentum in recent years for the Royals to relocate downtown, where Kansas City has been in the midst of a dramatic urban renewal. Not only would it position their stadium close to restaurants and bars, of which there are none at the Truman Sports Complex, it also would allow more fans to attend games using public transportation. Those considerations don’t really extend to the Chiefs, where part of the allure of Arrowhead Stadium is the tailgating."

Nothing much to this, I just thought it was cool that this was the observation of an awesome & far away city about our downtown growth. Wanted to share it.

P.S. I also thought it was hilarious that even San Diego is like "yeah, the tailgaiting it really only good for the Chiefs, not Royals, oh and also your downtown *does* have public transportation" lol
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That San Diego article was originally published verbatim in the KC Star.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah actually it's an AP Wire article that both papers carried and likely many other outlets (Yahoo News carried it).
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

moderne wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:13 pm That San Diego article was originally published verbatim in the KC Star.
My bad, lol. Still though…technically the points still stand.

I think that people should start paying attention to STL potentially about to be rewarded an NFL team.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Why does Arrowhead Stadium need an entertainment complex around it?

And if it had one around it, how would it survive in a market already over saturated with retail "destinations".

I really don't see why the Chiefs would ever leave the Sports Complex and I don't think they ever will.

I think these are are the only things that will happen:

A new downtown baseball stadium and a renovated Arrowhead. (The best scenario).

A new downtown baseball stadium and a new NFL stadium at the TSC. (Would be nice, but likely not doable).

Both stadiums renovated at the TSC and hopefully improvements to the TSC a new hotel, some minor retail. (probably most likely).
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:48 pm Why does Arrowhead Stadium need an entertainment complex around it?

And if it had one around it, how would it survive in a market already over saturated with retail "destinations".

I really don't see why the Chiefs would ever leave the Sports Complex and I don't think they ever will.

I think these are are the only things that will happen:

A new downtown baseball stadium and a renovated Arrowhead. (The best scenario).

A new downtown baseball stadium and a new NFL stadium at the TSC. (Would be nice, but likely not doable).

Both stadiums renovated at the TSC and hopefully improvements to the TSC a new hotel, some minor retail. (probably most likely).
I think you have to read around the edges. This is the chiefs saying they know that the royals want to move downtown and we want our cut of anything they get.

They're not going to get an entertainment district there, but what they could get is ground level bars for people that don't tailgate.

I don't know what the chiefs want, but I think this points to what they want. They don't make anything other than parking off tailgaters. What if they could bring them inside during cold weather?

It's becoming more clear.