Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:30 am Do you really think they would get support for anything above 3 floors?. I don't
It doesn't have to be very tall and I don't think it should be. It's a very large footprint. Something in the range of 6-7 stories would be a lot of units there. Could possibly build even more if able to build a few stories over the garage as well. Would be a perfect location for a residnetial building with balconies looking down Nichols Road that was full of people, outdoor dinning etc.

The plaza has the bones to easily be reworked into something that could become wildly popular again, especially if they somehow connect Nichols Rd to the Streetcar stop. It just needs to be implemented.

The plaza needs to stop trying to be mall in the city and become a true urban district. It can be done while keeping the historic feel and vibe of the plaza in tact.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:38 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:30 am Do you really think they would get support for anything above 3 floors?. I don't
It doesn't have to be very tall and I don't think it should be. It's a very large footprint. Something in the range of 6-7 stories would be a lot of units there. Could possibly build even more if able to build a few stories over the garage as well. Would be a perfect location for a residnetial building with balconies looking down Nichols Road that was full of people, outdoor dinning etc.

The plaza has the bones to easily be reworked into something that could become wildly popular again, especially if they somehow connect Nichols Rd to the Streetcar stop. It just needs to be implemented.

The plaza needs to stop trying to be mall in the city and become a true urban district. It can be done while keeping the historic feel and vibe of the plaza in tact.
I think we all agree with you. I just mean historic, nimbys, etc irl. The most pro development city council member would not be backing this
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Infiltrate their subconscious a la Inception ;-) . OK no but there are realistic ways to plant ideas seeking feedback before taking the risk with up front proposals. The momentum for change seems to be building on the rag, probably more thinking the same.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:08 am I wouldn't make any long=term plans that involve playing tennis on that spot. 8)
This room feels a bit like an early Thanksgiving where your uncles are yelling and no one hears that your niece announced she’s getting married.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:58 am
flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:26 am
earthling wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:06 am

Start planting the seeds with neighborhood groups, Plaza owners to City policy makers about need for Plaza change. Plant suggestions in an engaging way that they start coming up with their own ideas.
it's city park land. would take citywide vote to change it's use away from open park land.

"they" is the entire city.
We realize you look for every opportunity to nitpick us but you're on wrong topic. NT was talking about Plaza proper, not tennis courts.
Really, who did he quote?

Given there's two topics intertwined if you're so psychic you can tell me which "they" we can blame for all the problems on the plaza in the past ten years?

Taubman
Simon
Highwood
Macerich
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:48 am The heyday of "Save the Plaza" hysteria was over 10 years ago and most of the loudest people were the oldest ones. There will be a change in attitude about development and good leadership from the majority owners would help. It will change but as GRID says, probably not until there's a catastrophic collapse. On the other hand, there is a lot of money to be made and that can be a powerful motivator.
Took me only a few minutes to find examples that it was not over 10 years ago

the effort in 2017-2019 to expand the protected plaza bowl
https://www.historickansascity.org/wp-c ... _Final.pdf

don't forget the Church tear down fight in late 2018
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 04940.html
https://www.historickansascity.org/wp-c ... e-2019.pdf

the Nelle Peters tear down in 2016
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 72051.html

It's so old that a certain blogger brought up the group in 2020
https://www.tonyskansascity.com/2020/06 ... kaput.html

they had an impact on a 2020 building design
viewtopic.php?p=613194#p613194

2015+ fight against a hotel
https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... unty_club/

2013 save the plaza curfew
https://www.kmbc.com/article/year-round ... ls/3675928
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:43 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:26 am it's city park land. would take citywide vote to change it's use away from open park land.

"they" is the entire city.
We realize you look for every opportunity to nitpick us but you're on wrong topic. NT was talking about Plaza proper, not tennis courts.

Given there's two topics intertwined if you're so psychic you can tell me which "they" we can blame
If you look back at what he was responding to, was to Grid about the Nordstroms spot. No psychic tricks. Ya might consider taking a break from the rag for a while given a lot of testy posts lately toward many raggers.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:16 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:08 am I wouldn't make any long=term plans that involve playing tennis on that spot. 8)
This room feels a bit like an early Thanksgiving where your uncles are yelling and no one hears that your niece announced she’s getting married.
Any tidbits on plans in progress for that spot?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:03 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:43 pm

Given there's two topics intertwined if you're so psychic you can tell me which "they" we can blame
If you look back at what he was responding to, was to Grid about the Nordstroms spot. No psychic tricks. Ya might consider taking a break from the rag for a while given a lot of testy posts lately toward many raggers.
and if you look back to the post before that, it was in response to a thread in response me talking about there being a dozen owners.

If you have such a problem that you want to target me specifically expect to be responded to every time.
Developersanonymous
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Developersanonymous »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:13 pm As a nearby resident I would like to see more neighborhood type amenities. Also a fan of closing a street for a block for outdoor dining and what not.
would you consider an urban target or other daily needs type retailer to be a desirable neighborhood amenity? Right now, if you live on the plaza where do you buy your food, toiletries, bed sheets, etc? honest question, not trying to get at anything. I would imagine for how densely populated the Plaza and westport have become (and soon to be accessed via street car) a daily needs store like target or price chopper would actually be a welcome change to the plaza. there is no more luxury retail coming to the Plaza. You might as well push for tenants that make your life easier and/or better.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Developersanonymous wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:11 pm
shinatoo wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:13 pm As a nearby resident I would like to see more neighborhood type amenities. Also a fan of closing a street for a block for outdoor dining and what not.
would you consider an urban target or other daily needs type retailer to be a desirable neighborhood amenity? Right now, if you live on the plaza where do you buy your food, toiletries, bed sheets, etc? honest question, not trying to get at anything. I would imagine for how densely populated the Plaza and westport have become (and soon to be accessed via street car) a daily needs store like target or price chopper would actually be a welcome change to the plaza. there is no more luxury retail coming to the Plaza. You might as well push for tenants that make your life easier and/or better.
100%. It's a drive to Target at Ward Parkway or to the Wal Mart in Roland Park. A Target in the Plaza or really, anywhere on the streetcar line between Midtown and the Plaza, would be incredible busy all the time.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Dr. Anna Dental Aesthetics is going into the building at 48th and Pennsylvania. Plans uploaded to Compass show some minor exterior alterations. The business will be able to treat 4 patients at once.
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 37942b490a
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing

Post by flyingember »

Developersanonymous wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:11 pm
Whole Foods is within biking and walking distance. With the streetcar, it will be even easier.
That covers food and some everyday goods

For bed sheets, furniture and the like there's West Elm as a clear option.

Target will sell very little that isn’t within 5 blocks of the center of the Plaza.

What’s missing is price variety and that’s where a Target would do well. So many stores being high end it pushes costs above what most people in the area will pay for most things.

But… I would put Target on Troost because it would put jobs on that bus line.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

GRID wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:29 am I was going to say somehow build a transit oriented development on the tennis courts, but I thought that was sacred ground.
I've been talking about it for years expecting ONE PERSON to clutch pearls and it hasn't happened... yet. This leads me to believe that (a) I'm in a bubble or (b) Plaza tennis players are not KCMO residents.

Regardless, you can play tennis on a rooftop if the function must stay there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Have brought it up for years as well but seems only recently the rag is catching on to idea, would think now that more are envisioning a Plaza streetcar stop and needs a fluid connection into Plaza. Moving Plaza library to a floor or two here would also be more accessible to higher transit traffic than current location, including to 47 bus line.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:02 am
GRID wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:29 am I was going to say somehow build a transit oriented development on the tennis courts, but I thought that was sacred ground.
I've been talking about it for years expecting ONE PERSON to clutch pearls and it hasn't happened... yet. This leads me to believe that (a) I'm in a bubble or (b) Plaza tennis players are not KCMO residents.

Regardless, you can play tennis on a rooftop if the function must stay there.
The contract that runs through 2025 is probably the most critical fact to know. It's run by Genesis for day to day operations. If you have a membership you can use the facility for free. Classes are extra.
page 4
https://kcparks.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... -2020-.pdf

and facility info
https://www.genesishealthclubs.com/loca ... enter.html

Parks is never going to give away this facility unless they can make more than $40,000 per year doing so. Remember, it has to go to a citywide vote so the city can't just give it away.

It also hosts major events and UMKC. This explains why I saw a bus from West Virginia at it one time.
The center has hosted many events, including three Big 12 and the final Big Eight Championships, NCAA Division II Nationals, the Missouri Valley's National Qualifier Sweet 16, a USTA professional men's satellite tournament, USA Tournament Tennis sanctioned play, USTA leagues and instructional programs.
https://kcroos.com/sports/2008/11/16/1626229.aspx
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

In regards to doing away with the Plaza tennis center, I think there might be some support from unexpected quarters. I've heard residents of the north side of the Sulgrave and Regencey stating that they wish the courts were not there, at least in the evening because the intense lighting glare spoils the view.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

moderne wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:47 am In regards to doing away with the Plaza tennis center, I think there might be some support from unexpected quarters. I've heard residents of the north side of the Sulgrave and Regencey stating that they wish the courts were not there, at least in the evening because the intense lighting glare spoils the view.
Isn't this an example of moving into the urban core and being annoyed there's things like lights and noise?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

flyingember wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:02 pm
moderne wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:47 am In regards to doing away with the Plaza tennis center, I think there might be some support from unexpected quarters. I've heard residents of the north side of the Sulgrave and Regencey stating that they wish the courts were not there, at least in the evening because the intense lighting glare spoils the view.
Isn't this an example of moving into the urban core and being annoyed there's things like lights and noise?
I don't know the specifics of this case, but light pollution is a code violation.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I had to complain about a light once because it was blinding. To the places credit, they fixed it and apologized. I think they had no idea.

A little less sympathy if you move in and it’s already there. But yes, replace these.