OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:50 am World class? Lol
World Class view for the 25 seconds spent driving up to the terminal. That experience is not important IMHO. Focus on the experience past security should be #1

Many peers have garages that tower over their terminals. Many world class cities have this.

KCI is about equal garage and terminal height, Check out Nashville...... The new garages actually do tower over their new construction.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The garage is fine. Most large airports are like that. I'm not even sure what the BWI terminal looks like from the outside since all you really see is garages.

However the new KCI terminal itself is super bland and boring and totally uninspiring. Maybe some of the installed artwork will help. I still can't wait for the new terminal though. It's a massive improvement over the current situation.

However, this new terminal is a big reason I would be really careful about replacing Kauffman Stadium. I just don't think KC has the want or the money to really do big projects like this that are not just bare bones.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It would not have been excessively expensive to split the garage into 2 garages with a promenade/view shed between aligned with the front doors of the head house. But departures are heading into front door, so would have had to drop separation down to arrival level below and with road deck above, little slice of distance and light would make little difference.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:35 pm It would not have been excessively expensive to split the garage into 2 garages with a promenade/view shed between aligned with the front doors of the head house. But departures are heading into front door, so would have had to drop separation down to arrival level below and with road deck above, little slice of distance and light would make little difference.
We have explained a few times why things are how they are. Existing conditions, public's priority, future plans, etc.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Where are the tornado shelters at the new terminal? I always thought that would be an excuse to get the airlines to agree to go below ground.

I do think a lot of the criticism could have been avoided with better covered crossing. I think the garage is an overblown issue, but it is poorly designed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:03 pm The garage is fine. Most large airports are like that. I'm not even sure what the BWI terminal looks like from the outside since all you really see is garages.

However the new KCI terminal itself is super bland and boring and totally uninspiring. Maybe some of the installed artwork will help. I still can't wait for the new terminal though. It's a massive improvement over the current situation.

However, this new terminal is a big reason I would be really careful about replacing Kauffman Stadium. I just don't think KC has the want or the money to really do big projects like this that are not just bare bones.
This isn't even an apples and oranges comparison.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:06 pm Where are the tornado shelters at the new terminal? I always thought that would be an excuse to get the airlines to agree to go below ground.

I do think a lot of the criticism could have been avoided with better covered crossing. I think the garage is an overblown issue, but it is poorly designed.
Ideally, you don't have to run out of the secure side to avoid a tornado. No need for a below ground space specifically.

Garage will look 100X better when the glass facade is added. Will look much better than most other airport garages.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Skywalk is an easy add if it becomes an issue. Based on other cities I don't see it becoming an issue.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:02 pm Skywalk is an easy add if it becomes an issue. Based on other cities I don't see it becoming an issue.
I wish with some of these projects they’d announce future expansions and renovations. I know it’s against the DNA of these agreements, but if they could call it phase 1, and announce plans for transport, terminal, and pedestrian expansion as money becomes available, I think that would help pr.

It happens all of the time in transport. Just say here is what we can afford, but we’re not stupid and here is what it is designed for in the future.

I don’t think secrecy is constructive always to public support.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

On that note, I think trying to recreate the city market as a food court is a brilliant idea that I would have put all my support behind instead of a fountain that we all knew would get cut.

It’s something I’m going to think about more when other big projects come up.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:59 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:06 pm Where are the tornado shelters at the new terminal? I always thought that would be an excuse to get the airlines to agree to go below ground.

Ideally, you don't have to run out of the secure side to avoid a tornado. No need for a below ground space specifically.

Garage will look 100X better when the glass facade is added. Will look much better than most other airport garages.
What’s the secure side designed against? I assume there is below ground protection. Too much glass.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:03 pm The garage is fine. Most large airports are like that. I'm not even sure what the BWI terminal looks like from the outside since all you really see is garages.

From the renderings I've seen on the airport I don't know how you can say it's bland and uninspiring? They did a fantastic job with the waterfall coming out of the ceiling, an outdoor green space, great artwork all over the airport and even the garage, and to top it all off they're gonna try to build a replica City Market inside the terminal. Literally all of that is better than most airports our size, and even some cities far bigger than ours too.

Also, for the record, who cares about the garage being a canyon or whatever. That really doesn't matter.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

That waterfall was the first thing cut.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Reimagined
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Delta Skyclub!!! Lease for 11,000 sqft is on the City Council Agenda. 10 years with 2 - 5 year extensions.

Comps:

Nashville: 13,000 sqft
Austin: 9,000 sqft
Raleigh: 5,600 sqft
IND: 4800 sqft
New Orleans: ~48000 sqft
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well well well! Is this in addition to the "shared" lounge?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

That City Market concept in the new airport made this airport awesome.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:25 pm Delta Skyclub!!! Lease for 11,000 sqft is on the City Council Agenda. 10 years with 2 - 5 year extensions.

Comps:

Nashville: 13,000 sqft
Austin: 9,000 sqft
Raleigh: 5,600 sqft
IND: 4800 sqft
New Orleans: ~48000 sqft
Ohhh! That's awesome
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Interesting...I wonder if Delta is going to make a run at Southwest's local dominance in the new terminal? That greatly increases the chances of a CDG/AMS direct, too.