OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:01 pm Doesn’t directly pertain to new terminal but I was dropping off some people to AUS for a flight earlier and noticed a BA 787-8 at one of the gates as I was pulling away from the terminal. I’m hoping that this new terminal gives us some increased odds of receiving at least one transatlantic route, I’ve been hearing many people rave about this route here in Austin, but this was the first I’d seen of an aircraft here. It would be an incredibly welcome sight in KC
New Orleans must be the smallest metro they serve now. Was Charleston.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder what the most popular transatlantic route from Kansas City might be. London? Paris?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The usual answer has been London, but I have vague recollections of a 2019(?) Star article mentioning that Paris was the highest-volume destination for that summer’s travel season.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

FangKC wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:39 pm I wonder what the most popular transatlantic route from Kansas City might be. London? Paris?
I'd prefer a schengen country, and CDG would be ideal. Germany would work too.

London is such a miserable place to fly to.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:13 am
FangKC wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:39 pm I wonder what the most popular transatlantic route from Kansas City might be. London? Paris?

Dublin perhaps?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:02 am

Dublin perhaps?
I'm not familiar with their connections across Europe. With Frankfurt or CDG, you can get anywhere. Not sure the same is true with Ireland.

I've always thought of them and Iceland as being low cost airline centers which is less important to me.i hope they come back, but we need service to a European hub.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:11 am

Dublin perhaps?
I'm not familiar with their connections across Europe. With Frankfurt or CDG, you can get anywhere. Not sure the same is true with Ireland.

I've always thought of them and Iceland as being low cost airline centers which is less important to me.i hope they come back, but we need service to a European hub.
Both Aer Lingus and Ryan air have hubs in Dublin, providing pretty solid connection across the continent. It’s no CDG, but it definitely wouldn’t be difficult to forward connect. I still the LHR or CDG would be a preferred route though for a transatlantic.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Frankfurt ideal for connections to rest of Europe especially for biz travelers but would think London would be one of top destinations to Europe from KC tourists.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah the key is the connections. Gotta be CDG or FRA or LHR
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Dublin perhaps?
Ireland isn't a Schengen country.

Personally, I like Amsterdam most as far as European airports go, but London or Paris probably makes more sense as far as where the highest number of KC travelers actually want to go. Frankly any of the big airports is going to be fine for connections though because they are all hubs for their countries' flag carriers, so to some extent the question is just, would you rather fly BA or Air France or Lufthansa or KLM or...

The important thing is for KC to land something, and it doesn't matter that much which one it is. Even Icelandair was/Aer Lingus would be better than nothing.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The big driver in transatlantic growth is traffic to India (and also some Africa). Much of that traffic used to transit Europe (FRA and London, especially), but the ME3 took a major chunk of it. You can get to almost any city in India with a stop at Doha or Abu Dhabi or Dubai, and those hubs all serve the big US markets.

KC is not yet at an O&D size where it would get a nonstop to the ME3, so I think KC will instead probably score one of the European hubs, and LHR makes the most sense:

1. KC is a traditional AA market (former TW plus former US and legacy AA), so it would be a good prospect for expanded BA service.
2. BA and LHR are both passable for coach pax, but they do a nice job for business class (club world), and BA has a loyal fan base worldwide.
3. London has a significant O&D market, certainly more than Frankfurt.

None of the European hubs have seamless transit US-HUB-Onward Asian City -- both Paris and London have distant terminals with unpleasantly long connections (including airside buses or even the landside tube in London). FRA is a bit better, but it's not great. All of them have a reasonably pleasant hub experience in the premium cabins IMHO, both business and first class. At least in London, they speak English (LOLZ).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

London is going to be in low demand for business travel with Brexit.

Dublin is outside Schengen. So something on the continent seems most likely.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Iirc, British Airways and Icelandair has been the 2 biggest euro airlines in the Us by destinations served.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:29 am
Dublin perhaps?

Both Aer Lingus and Ryan air have hubs in Dublin, providing pretty solid connection across the continent. It’s no CDG, but it definitely wouldn’t be difficult to forward connect. I still the LHR or CDG would be a preferred route though for a transatlantic.
I'd use connecting flights in the US before ever using either of those airlines.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

phuqueue wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:45 am

Dublin perhaps?
Ireland isn't a Schengen country.

Personally, I like Amsterdam most as far as European airports go, but London or Paris probably makes more sense as far as where the highest number of KC travelers actually want to go. Frankly any of the big airports is going to be fine for connections though because they are all hubs for their countries' flag carriers, so to some extent the question is just, would you rather fly BA or Air France or Lufthansa or KLM or...

The important thing is for KC to land something, and it doesn't matter that much which one it is. Even Icelandair was/Aer Lingus would be better than nothing.
Amsterdam would be excellent, I forgot about it and find it unlikely.

Any Delta/KLM/af would be just incredible.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Delta did not go to IND without a massive incentive package. Icelandair is good enough for now
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:07 pm

I'd use connecting flights in the US before ever using either of those airlines.
The benefit of connecting over there is opening up a lot more options for one connection.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:37 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:07 pm
The benefit of connecting over there is opening up a lot more options for one connection.
Agreed. But if I can fly to Atlanta, which is an easy flight on the way, and then have my choice of flights, I'm not going to fly to Iceland. I'm sorry.

It's a great flight to have but it's not a direct European flight. Same with Ireland.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agree with that
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

How about something outside of the normal hubs? If all the other cities are flying to Frankfort or CDG or Heathrow wouldn't it be better to have our nonstop be to Madrid or Rome or Barcelona? We might get some people connecting from the West Coast from cities that don't have a direct flight to those cities themselves.