OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 pm One of them should be kept for perhaps regional small planes with a tram/bus that feeds directly into secure area of new terminal. Cleveland does this. But sounds like too late.
We have no need for such a facility. All current and projected traffic to KC is jetbridge capable. A WN or B6 hub would use jetbridge capable planes.

Terminal A was constructed for those commuter planes but B and C don't have those built in capabilities. Cleveland's commuter terminal is kind of a legacy from the United era there.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:48 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:32 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:57 pm

They will be bulldozed. They are expensive to upkeep and are valuable real estate that could be used for operations. I could see C staying for WC and then going away
You seem to say this with more authority than any ody actually attached to the airport has stated.
The old terminals will be bulldozed after the new terminals open. This is consistent with airport officials and was obligated in the Use and Lease agreement.
You act as if this can't be changed. That's what I am not following. I understand it is the current plan.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:09 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:48 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:32 pm

You seem to say this with more authority than any ody actually attached to the airport has stated.
The old terminals will be bulldozed after the new terminals open. This is consistent with airport officials and was obligated in the Use and Lease agreement.
You act as if this can't be changed. That's what I am not following. I understand it is the current plan.
Old terminals are in the way of RONS, deicing, and future expansion. There are 0 benefits to keeping them. Bulldozing them is budgeted and obligated. There is no drive to keep them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes there is. Me. Lol

Much like the talk of keeping the current buck bridge. It can be explored as an option.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

chrizow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:47 pm terminal C should be preserved as a jail for anyone still saying we do not need a new airport.

flew out of KCI last week and was stuck in the longest security line i've ever had there. it was 3 lines, each at least 100 deep. airport staff called out for anyone whose plane was boarding to head to the front of the line - cue at least 40% of those in line trying to cram to the front. it was a shitshow. we almost missed our flight.
I flew out twice last week and arrived 15 minutes prior to boarding each time. Maybe 7 people in each security line. Made it to the secured area five minutes before boarding began. Not sure what your problem is TBH. I have NEVER had a problem getting from the curb to the gate quickly at MCI, EVER.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

im2kull wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:55 pm
chrizow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:47 pm terminal C should be preserved as a jail for anyone still saying we do not need a new airport.

flew out of KCI last week and was stuck in the longest security line i've ever had there. it was 3 lines, each at least 100 deep. airport staff called out for anyone whose plane was boarding to head to the front of the line - cue at least 40% of those in line trying to cram to the front. it was a shitshow. we almost missed our flight.
I flew out twice last week and arrived 15 minutes prior to boarding each time. Maybe 7 people in each security line. Made it to the secured area five minutes before boarding began. Not sure what your problem is TBH. I have NEVER had a problem getting from the curb to the gate quickly at MCI, EVER.
What airline, what time?

This matters.

We flew in July on Southwest on a Monday and security was fast but we got there at 4:30am.

Every flight was packed, the waiting area was standing room only when we got on an hour later and security was constant traffic coming in.
If we had arrived 15 minutes before would have missed our flight.
Major KC Fan
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Major KC Fan »

The airline & terminal would make a big difference. With SW having more flights I’ve seen it really backed up at the security checkpoint and 15 minutes would definitely not be early enough to catch your flight if your flight is in a cluster of their flights. Very eager for the new terminal. Was washing my hands in a restroom outside of some SW gates last month after returning from a trip to Florida and the SW pilot washing his hands next to me expressed his eagerness as well (as we both searched for a faucet that actually worked and had soap in the dispenser).
The contrast between the Southwest Florida Int’l Airport and KCI is pathetic, like a step back into the ‘70’s…….
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Depends on the Airline and time of day. I've never seen united backed up. Delta a couple of long lines. Southwest, often.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:23 pm Yes there is. Me. Lol

Much like the talk of keeping the current buck bridge. It can be explored as an option.
Complete the loop and make it a velodrome. Would also make a great movie set for something futuristic.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:14 am

Depends on the Airline and time of day. I've never seen united backed up. Delta a couple of long lines. Southwest, often.
100%. The airport is only "convenient" when it's not busy. The maximum throughput through security is so low when there is only two security lines + precheck at each gate group. The system can be overwhelmed quickly and cannot flex to meet demand. Having a one security check like like every airport will help with this and average out wait times.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The airport is miserable. It can’t handle Uber at all, it can’t handle more than one flight at a time at bag claim.

I can’t believe people still defend it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah what a weird hill to die on given it's end is near and it's got pretty glaring flaws.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

I don't have a problem--MCI has a problem, which resulted in me and my wife being in a security line as long and slow as the worst lines I have experienced at DIA, CDG, ORD, and other much larger and busier airports.

To be fair, it is true this was an unusual experience - I have flown out of MCI dozens of times and have experienced ridiculously long lines at check-in or security maybe 12 times. But I have had an abysmal airport experience 100% of those times b/c MCI is a complete joke. It is, without question, the worst airport I have ever visited, of 40+ airports total - and it's my hometown airport.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chrizow wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:58 am

I don't have a problem--MCI has a problem, which resulted in me and my wife being in a security line as long and slow as the worst lines I have experienced at DIA, CDG, ORD, and other much larger and busier airports.

To be fair, it is true this was an unusual experience - I have flown out of MCI dozens of times and have experienced ridiculously long lines at check-in or security maybe 12 times. But I have had an abysmal airport experience 100% of those times b/c MCI is a complete joke. It is, without question, the worst airport I have ever visited, of 40+ airports total - and it's my hometown airport.
Idk, I’ve literally never had an enjoyable experience flying through LAX
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:03 am
last time i was at LAX, we got pretty solid brunch food and saw Hulk Hogan. so it's miles better than MCI.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chrizow wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:08 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:03 am
last time i was at LAX, we got pretty solid brunch food and saw Hulk Hogan. so it's miles better than MCI.
Damn, okay, yeah if I saw Hulk Hogan I wouldn’t give af less about the airport! :lol:
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:19 am
shinatoo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:14 am

100%. The airport is only "convenient" when it's not busy. The maximum throughput through security is so low when there is only two security lines + precheck at each gate group. The system can be overwhelmed quickly and cannot flex to meet demand. Having a one security check like like every airport will help with this and average out wait times.
You have captured the primary reason of KCI's "convenience". Because it is generally not very busy. Ironically, it's not very busy because the airlines view it as inefficient and inconvenient. Some Kansas Citians seem to confuse being busy with being inconvenient and being dead as being convenient. I don't see Chicago O'hare and like airports as inconvenient, just busy with all the added "inconvenience" that comes from that.

KCI is the 43rd busiest airport in the US. KC is the 31st largest metro. That explains a lot of the convenience of KCI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... ted_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... ical_areas
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Since we are ragging on KCI, what is it with Uber at the airport lately? Pre-COVID, I could always get an Uber both arriving and departing (even on the dreaded 6am flights). Sometimes there would be a surge price, but I think the max I ever paid from the airport to 63d/ State Line was $80. Usual price was $45-50. Same with the departure Ubers, from the city to the airport.

Nowadays there are zero Ubers available from the earliest flight hours until around 8am (and I have adjusted my flight times to Noon flights, accordingly -- I am not parking at KCI for weeks at a time, thank you very much). And often when landing after 6pm, there is a serious delay, up to an hour, to get an Uber. I now carry cash to see if I can find one of the diminishing number of taxis floating around terminal C (and if so, I cancel the Uber and eat the penalty).
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

herrfrank wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:31 pm Since we are ragging on KCI, what is it with Uber at the airport lately? Pre-COVID, I could always get an Uber both arriving and departing (even on the dreaded 6am flights). Sometimes there would be a surge price, but I think the max I ever paid from the airport to 63d/ State Line was $80. Usual price was $45-50. Same with the departure Ubers, from the city to the airport.

Nowadays there are zero Ubers available from the earliest flight hours until around 8am (and I have adjusted my flight times to Noon flights, accordingly -- I am not parking at KCI for weeks at a time, thank you very much). And often when landing after 6pm, there is a serious delay, up to an hour, to get an Uber. I now carry cash to see if I can find one of the diminishing number of taxis floating around terminal C (and if so, I cancel the Uber and eat the penalty).
I drive Uber down in Austin fairly regularly, the issue isn’t isolated to KCI, it’s an all around issue with the way Uber is pinging drivers lately, and their prescheduled surge pricing. So a lot of the drivers simply won’t drive in the morning because they don’t want to eat into their drive time when they know surge pricing will be higher, later on in the day, and in different areas.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I haven’t had an Uber/lyft issue recently but it was bad for a few months. I occasionally still struggle in the suburbs, but downtown or at kci it has been within 10 minutes recently

The biggest struggle for me has been trying to pick the right door to get picked up at that isn’t packed with cars and busses.

I would use a taxi lane if they had one, but with all of the construction downtown I find that using gps from the beginning is much easier to get home.

Prices have gone up significantly though.