Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Future Stadium Plans: Chiefs and Royals

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:04 am
wahoowa wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:52 am
KCDowntown wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:24 pm Pure speculation on my part, but my thought was maybe the Mayor and Royals already know exactly where they are going, and the Mayor just got a little ahead of himself because he knows the whole plan.

KCDowntown

i thought the exact same
I agree, but my thought is a bit modified from yours. I think they have two places in mind, and know their preferred one. However, the second one is still an option and the final choice will be based on where the financing package comes from. My bet is their preference is the East Village in downtown with Jackson County financing it. Their second choice is Village West in Wyandotte County with Kansas Star Bonds.
I listened to the news conference and the way the conversation started was, paraphrased, ['rumors of new stadium driven by social media'] and then owner didn't seem too excited but came across as, well yeah we'll start to take a look at it soon as lease will expire then mentioned some high level criteria. Didn't really have much substance/excitement or even interest other than they'll have to figure out what to do when lease expires.

My take is that Mayor wants a new stadium on his list of accomplishments and fed into the social media drive, not that he and owner have had any serious detailed conversations with any more insight than owner gave to us. I'm sure Royals will be happy to go to a new stadium that's mostly publicly funded but they probably ultimately don't care where in the end, even if on KS side. Despite publicly stated criteria that I suspect mayor proposed in order to get public participation. If KS offers far more public financing for a spiffier stadium than MO they'd probably value that most. If neither side offer enough, they'll be content to stay where they are if at least stadium continues contemporary upgrades every decade.

My take of owner's perspective is that 'this project is the mayor's not mine and if they give us a new stadium great' (with more serious Royals involvement once it looks enough public funding can happen). 'If KS gives us a stadium, great. But if it doesn't come through, we need a new lease of existing stadium and we'll want regular upgrades.'
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

So if the stadium is more of the mayor's idea, then why the press conference yesterday? Why would the Royals do that just to appease the mayor? Honestly, it is a risky political proposition for the mayor and would be unpopular among many of his constituents.

There have been numerous indications that Sherman has been interested in a downtown stadium since he bought the team. I don't think he would push through a downtown stadium at all costs, but I do believe it is his preference.

So what was the point of going public at this point? I really don't know. I would think they already have a site picked out and options on all of the land lined up. If not, going public could hurt their negotiating power. I think they could be further along then was indicated. Yesterday's announcement will start the public engagement, allow the team to get feedback, and make it seem less like a stadium is being rammed down everyone's throat than if they just came out and announced it.

That said, I think it is far from a sure thing. Sherman mentioned a public/private partnership, which will be hard to sell. I think any direct tax to pay for the stadium construction will be a non-starter, although they may be able to get away with some TIF, STECM, etc.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I don't think it was about appeasing the mayor but it was clearly just a side note, not a primary goal the owner is specifically driving as a top priority. Addressing the expired lease will become a priority soon but seems clear the mayor wants a new stadium near E Side and the owner will weigh whatever is proposed from MO and likely KS side as well. If you actually listen to it, the tone was 'meh, yeah we'll address the expired lease soon' compared to what was hyped before it and after. I do suspect it's more driven by mayor than Royals, whether politically risky or not. The wording the owner used for criteria and way he stated sounded like the mayor's words, not his.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Downtown ballpark and condos

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

I don’t care what happens, I just don’t want the stadium named after some company. I always appreciated the fact that Kauffman was named after the Kaufman’s, made it seem less tacky
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:36 am I don’t care what happens, I just don’t want the stadium named after some company. I always appreciated the fact that Kauffman was named after the Kaufman’s, made it seem less tacky
My guess is, if the owners have to pay for alot of it, then they’re definitely going to be selling the naming right to get a cash infusion. What people don’t consider about the “taxpayers better not fund anytbing!” is that the less the public funds then the less the public controls over the project.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:22 am So what was the point of going public at this point? I really don't know. I would think they already have a site picked out and options on all of the land lined up. If not, going public could hurt their negotiating power. I think they could be further along then was indicated. Yesterday's announcement will start the public engagement, allow the team to get feedback, and make it seem less like a stadium is being rammed down everyone's throat than if they just came out and announced it.

That said, I think it is far from a sure thing. Sherman mentioned a public/private partnership, which will be hard to sell. I think any direct tax to pay for the stadium construction will be a non-starter, although they may be able to get away with some TIF, STECM, etc.
This is insightful. Sherman is probably irritated since they have not secured all the land in the East Village yet. There are still parcels controlled by a parking lot king. Sherman wants to portray uncertainty in site location so that the parking lot king will be a little nervous about holding out too long.

The mayor is not driving this bus. The Jackson County executive and legislature are who to watch. They will most likely be responsible for funding it.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

There's a poll going on a KU message board. It's currently 80% in favor of downtown baseball, 8% opposed, and 12% that are opposed if taxpayers are involved. While I'm sure there's not a lot of them that are Jackson County residents, I found it encouraging that there was that much support for downtown baseball in that group.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:22 am So if the stadium is more of the mayor's idea, then why the press conference yesterday? Why would the Royals do that just to appease the mayor? Honestly, it is a risky political proposition for the mayor and would be unpopular among many of his constituents.
Smoke screen to cover what is actually happening behind the scenes and to get the dialogue started in the community towards the initial release of the goal/plan. It's the prologue to the song.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If Missouri is gonna have to fight with KS to keep Royals, then I assume Chiefs would be the same way. In which case, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Royals end up in Missouri and Chiefs in KS. Football is much more of a suburban fit (the parking and space on that one do actually matter) unlike baseball where it’s an urban sport at its DNA. If one of the two has to go, it should be the Chiefs.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:51 am If Missouri is gonna have to fight with KS to keep Royals, then I assume Chiefs would be the same way. In which case, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Royals end up in Missouri and Chiefs in KS. Football is much more of a suburban fit (the parking and space on that one do actually matter) unlike baseball where it’s an urban sport at its DNA. If one of the two has to go, it should be the Chiefs.
Never happen. I think the best KS can do is regional funding that would give money to the Kansas Speedway and build a new SKC arena, guaranteeing it to stay on that side of the line.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:43 am There's a poll going on a KU message board. It's currently 80% in favor of downtown baseball, 8% opposed, and 12% that are opposed if taxpayers are involved. While I'm sure there's not a lot of them that are Jackson County residents, I found it encouraging that there was that much support for downtown baseball in that group.
And none of them are funding it. If Kansas wants something here, they need to pony up some cash, otherwise, they don't really have a say in anything.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:55 am
KCFan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:43 am There's a poll going on a KU message board. It's currently 80% in favor of downtown baseball, 8% opposed, and 12% that are opposed if taxpayers are involved. While I'm sure there's not a lot of them that are Jackson County residents, I found it encouraging that there was that much support for downtown baseball in that group.
And none of them are funding it. If Kansas wants something here, they need to pony up some cash, otherwise, they don't really have a say in anything.
There's about 25,000 KU alumni on the Missouri side of KC. There will be more than a few KU alums voting for downtown baseball.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:04 am I think they have two places in mind, and know their preferred one. However, the second one is still an option and the final choice will be based on where the financing package comes from. My bet is their preference is the East Village in downtown with Jackson County financing it. Their second choice is Village West in Wyandotte County with Kansas Star Bonds.
Seriously doubt the Jackson County voters would approve a tax to fund a downtown stadium. Especially since the current stadium is still in good shape and can be improved with way less money. The Sports Authority is a separate entity from the county government and to my knowledge has no authority to issue tax supported bonds. It can issue Revenue Bonds, which was done to help finance the old Kemper Arena but the city had to guarantee bond payments.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:53 am
AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:51 am If Missouri is gonna have to fight with KS to keep Royals, then I assume Chiefs would be the same way. In which case, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Royals end up in Missouri and Chiefs in KS. Football is much more of a suburban fit (the parking and space on that one do actually matter) unlike baseball where it’s an urban sport at its DNA. If one of the two has to go, it should be the Chiefs.
Never happen. I think the best KS can do is regional funding that would give money to the Kansas Speedway and build a new SKC arena, guaranteeing it to stay on that side of the line.
^And wouldn't see Royals moving to KS unless offering say $100M+ more than MO for a spiffier stadium.

Seems we're all making too much from thin air though as there doesn't seem to be much substance happening yet outside getting a conversation going. The 'meh' tone of the press conference said much more than the cherry picked words. Funding is the biggest challenge of course and they'd need to build a pricey stadium that surpasses Kaufmann to make it worth a move.

Seems unlikely raising taxes will cut it especially when many want Royals to remain. I'm OK with it if no city/county tax increases but TIF and district taxes would be fine. Wouldn't expect that to be enough though.

A megamax mixed use project that happens to have a stadium merged in might work if finding enough players to finance.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Arrowhead is the biggest influence in the whole discussion but hasn’t been brought up much. I suspect that the Chiefs will want a new stadium as well and the potential awarding of a Super Bowl would probably change the vote for many people. That was implied during the last vote for the rolling roof. I new stadium that could be enclosed for a SB would be a big draw.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:09 pm Arrowhead is the biggest influence in the whole discussion but hasn’t been brought up much. I suspect that the Chiefs will want a new stadium as well and the potential awarding of a Super Bowl would probably change the vote for many people. That was implied during the last vote for the rolling roof. I new stadium that could be enclosed for a SB would be a big draw.
That’s why I keep trying to regurgitate it into the convo here with the KS stuff, lol. I have no clue what the Chiefs will do but they are clearly a huge force behind this. They’re twice as powerful as the Royals in value. The radio talking heads are already working around the clock since yesterday trying to sell it.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:55 am
I know a lot wouldn’t be opposed to it, especially in JOCO, to at least have a say in some of these decisions made. The issue would be pressing a new tax, as many of the municipalities already have near 10% tax rate at a minimum, with some of the shopping centers having a 1-2% tax on top
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

And that's not the only poll either. As I mentioned before, KSHB's twitter poll got a pretty sizable majority supporting the downtown stadium with almost 1000 votes. Eric Bunch even tweeted he was amazed by how many more open people are now to the idea than 10 years ago.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:46 pm I know a lot wouldn’t be opposed to it, especially in JOCO, to at least have a say in some of these decisions made. The issue would be pressing a new tax, as many of the municipalities already have near 10% tax rate at a minimum, with some of the shopping centers having a 1-2% tax on top
Would be interesting to see what JOCO spends their money on versus KCMO.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:50 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:46 pm I know a lot wouldn’t be opposed to it, especially in JOCO, to at least have a say in some of these decisions made. The issue would be pressing a new tax, as many of the municipalities already have near 10% tax rate at a minimum, with some of the shopping centers having a 1-2% tax on top
Would be interesting to see what JOCO spends their money on versus KCMO.
Could definitely be a double edged sword, hard to see what some dude in western Spring Hill would appreciate about taxes going to something like the zoo, or some other attraction they’d go to maybe 1-2 times a year that they would see no direct benefit of
Last edited by Anthony_Hugo98 on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.