Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Transportation topics in KC

What route should the third phase of streetcar expansion follow?

Linwood: Main to Michigan(71 Highway)
10%
Country Club ROW: UMKC to Brookside/Waldo
22%
Country Club ROW: UMKC through Brookside/Waldo to Prospect
13%
Linwood: Main to Emanuel Cleaver 2
12%
City/County Wide Rail Project
36%
Other
8%

Total votes: 111

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Phase Three Streetcar Expansion

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:09 pm It depends. The original viaduct probably wasn't an interstate highway. There are probably rules as to whether a streetcar can run on an interstate highway surface. More likely, it would run on surface streets through the West Bottoms.
Seattle turned highway bridge lanes into light rail. The cost to convert bridge to light rail isn’t cheap but neither is building a new bridge
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Sending the streetcar into the west bottoms, and then having it enter strawberry hill from james street seems like the best option to me. We know for a fact there is lots of development planned for the west bottoms, so it’s not like it would be going through the middle of nowhere
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:09 pm It depends. The original intercity viaduct wasn't an interstate highway. There are probably rules as to whether a streetcar can run on an interstate highway surface. More likely, it would run on surface streets through the West Bottoms.
I-180 in Chyeyenne has stoplights. Taking a lane from the interstate wouldn't be easy but it's possible.

Though I still like the idea of actually going in the bottoms more
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

At least if it went through the Bottom's surface streets, there would be two or three stops there (depending on route). There would be some additional usage-- versus crossing on the viaduct where there would not likely be any stops or usage from the Bottoms.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I think a streetcar to KCK expansion should be included on a regional plan and studied, but just based off the topography and density it would be difficult.

The most direct enterance is down the 12th viaduct. Streetcars once plied the fine bridge back when it opened. I think a modern streetcar should stop somewhere around Wyoming Street & then just before Central Venue bridge where it would cross.
http://northeastnews.net/pages/12th-str ... n-bottoms/
The Central Avenue Bridge used to carry streetcar traffic across it as well.
https://historicbridges.org/bridges/bro ... ueviaduct/

Included in the Next Rail alternatives was a SW Trafficway alignment for a mile or so then stopping. It didn't score super high. However, it connects to Chavez and passes elevated south of Kemper/Hyvee Arena.

Central Ave have a lot of interesting bars and businesses that would be great to access from downtown. However, the area itself is pretty built up. Downtown KCK on the other hand has started to see some revitalization. Having streetcar access could lead to some high-rise apartments and infill on the many under utilized lots in their urban core.

Any study would need to evaluate all alternatives. It would be cost prohibitive to cross the river without a lot of federal or state help. I don't think more than two stops in WB is necessary. Just add bike lanes and improved sidewalks especially around the arena. Going over the viaduct seems like it would be the easiest and cheapest option to avoid building any new bridges or offramps.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If I were making a route I would connect the downtown KCK at the transit center on Washington to the east village transit center via 12th. One thing that's important is to start and connect transit centers with high frequency, high capacity service so bus service can be reallocated to lower density areas
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

LRT to KCI briefly mentioned in the Star today. Heard we might hear more on this idea….
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:23 am LRT to KCI briefly mentioned in the Star today. Heard we might hear more on this idea….
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/read ... 95898.html
They say now is the time for the city to deploy light rail to the airport. Transit hubs downtown and in Johnson County could be built where air travelers park and clear Transportation Security Administration security. They then would board light rail to be whisked to KCI, putting some glamour and serenity back into flying.
I highly doubt TSA will screen anyone outside of the terminal footprint. Not aware of any US system where that is done, at least not with a public transit line.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:43 am
normalthings wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:23 am LRT to KCI briefly mentioned in the Star today. Heard we might hear more on this idea….
They say now is the time for the city to deploy light rail to the airport. Transit hubs downtown and in Johnson County could be built where air travelers park and clear Transportation Security Administration security. They then would board light rail to be whisked to KCI, putting some glamour and serenity back into flying.
I highly doubt TSA will screen anyone outside of the terminal footprint. Not aware of any US system where that is done, at least not with a public transit line.
I'm trying to think of why too? Sometimes this happens internationally but I cant think of any place domestic. I can't imagine the feds even being interested in the idea.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So their idea is to build light rail from Johnson county to the airport that is EXCLUSIVELY for trips from Johnson county to the airport?

So if I want to go from Johnson drive to Downtown, or WyCo, or the Northland, I would have to meet TSA requirements at a minimum, and probably have to have a boarding pass for a flight?

Don't think MARTIN ROSENBERG thought that one through very well. Unless he is talking about exclusive TSA trains in addition to regular trains. But seriously, WTF?

As I say to everyone that lives in JoCo or Jax that complains about the airport location. It's been there 50 years, why did you buy a house so far away if airport proximity is that important to you?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

shinatoo wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:33 pm So their idea is to build light rail from Johnson county to the airport that is EXCLUSIVELY for trips from Johnson county to the airport?

So if I want to go from Johnson drive to Downtown, or WyCo, or the Northland, I would have to meet TSA requirements at a minimum, and probably have to have a boarding pass for a flight?

Don't think MARTIN ROSENBERG thought that one through very well. Unless he is talking about exclusive TSA trains in addition to regular trains. But seriously, WTF?

As I say to everyone that lives in JoCo or Jax that complains about the airport location. It's been there 50 years, why did you buy a house so far away if airport proximity is that important to you?
Sounds like they want to run to downtown then the airport. But either way it’s a dumb proposal. The twa thing would never happen and only three stops would be ridiculously stupid
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:24 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:43 am
I'm trying to think of why too? Sometimes this happens internationally but I cant think of any place domestic. I can't imagine the feds even being interested in the idea.
This TSA thing doesn’t make much sense to me. Maybe 1 car or vehicle segment would be sealed?

I have heard rumblings about KCI rail before today.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Why don't we start out small and get the tram to the rental cars first?

If they can't even get something as small as that, then what's even the point of this infra bill for us. It's like we are in the middle of an entirely new airport so we don't need money for new refurbishing or anything...we should be able to get something really new here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:48 pm Why don't we start out small and get the tram to the rental cars first?

If they can't even get something as small as that, then what's even the point of this infra bill for us. It's like we are in the middle of an entirely new airport so we don't need money for new refurbishing or anything...we should be able to get something really new here.
Well there are FAA funds for airport train and there are FTA funds for city light rail. I can see why they would want to at least think about doing something broader. Especially, if they can move the airport train forward independently of a city LRT line.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:53 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:48 pm Why don't we start out small and get the tram to the rental cars first?

Well there are FAA funds for airport train and there are FTA funds for city light rail. I can see why they would want to at least think about doing something broader. Especially, if they can move the airport train forward independently of a city LRT line.
Don't me wrong, I'd love to have rail too. I'm just sure they'll come up with 10000000 reasons why "it can't happen" so I'd want to get atleast something out of this that isn't "refurbishing" or something
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Gerend said the Streetcar Authority in September is scheduled to consider a study effort in partnership with RideKC for a prospective east-west route extension.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... _source=st
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:05 pm Gerend said the Streetcar Authority in September is scheduled to consider a study effort in partnership with RideKC for a prospective east-west route extension.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... _source=st
Yup! Stay tuned in early 2022!
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

East-West makes the most sense, that’s where the density is to support ridership.

Beyond a North route, what would be the step after that?

I wonder if a 169/W 63rd/Shawnee Mission Parkway route is worth it? Or do you follow up with a Linwood/Stadium route?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The job density of the Metcalf corridor is pretty high as well. Kansas will get $300 million for mass transit from the Senate Infra bill. Could leverage that those dollars plus grant programs to try and at get a starter line towards College Blvd. Missouri will get something like $700 or 800 million. could use that to add NKC and Independence Ave at once. Can we use those dollars as the "local match" and go out for a grant program?

Linwood isn't as dense as Independence Avenue but it would allow you to access VA Hospital. The downside I see is that you that route would be ideal for a tram-train into the suburbs someday. I would want to see an initial build that can support such a service.

2020 Census Population Density Map

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

One destination that provides value to connect to is hospitals. 24x7 jobs of course but providing better hospital access for visitors is a great thing to do

A paired route, one branch to 18th and Vine and a second down to hospital Hill on Troost. Starts that second route south as a stub line and development opportunities are better than a few blocks west