OFFICIAL - Artistry KC (19th and Oak)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Artistry KC (19th and Oak)

Post by Eon Blue »

I looked at it again this weekend. An easy retrofit would be to add walkouts to the street-level units. Many other developments do that and it's a small feature that makes a big difference in the urban feel.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

https://archive.curbed.com/2018/12/4/18 ... chitecture
Good article that helps explain why cities across the country are being overrun with McUrbanism.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Rabble wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:37 pm https://archive.curbed.com/2018/12/4/18 ... chitecture
Good article that helps explain why cities across the country are being overrun with McUrbanism.
Many of the replies to the Twitter call simply pointed out that these buildings are housing, and much-needed housing at that.
So, yeah, let's just build more housing instead of capitulating to Urbanist Twitter. Form follows function.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if the same complaints happened when all the brick colonade apartment buildings were going up all over the city?
Last edited by FangKC on Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:10 pm I wonder if the same complaints happened when all the brick colonade apartment buildings were going up all over the city?
Yes, but there are no tweets to prove it -- and that was a far more intense development period than what we're seeing now.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Just because you critique a building’s design doesn’t mean you wish it was still a surface lot
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:10 pm I wonder if the same complaints happened when all the brick colonade apartment buildings were going up all over the city?
Even if the colonades were overbuilt they were still not suburban. My question is how many private pools can a downtown have and still be considered urban?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Rabble wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:02 pm
Even if the colonades were overbuilt they were still not suburban. My question is how many private pools can a downtown have and still be considered urban?
I dunno. Ask Los Angeles.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I looked into the cost of amenities. Was surprisingly small. Around the cost of leasing and marketing efforts at some downtown communities. Will look into more though.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:10 pm
I dunno. Ask Los Angeles.
Why? LA is the mistake we should be trying to avoid.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

normalthings wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 pm
I looked into the cost of amenities. Was surprisingly small. Around the cost of leasing and marketing efforts at some downtown communities. Will look into more though.
There is a cost to “downtowners” insulating themselves within their “downtown communities” instead of getting out and enjoying downtown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Los Angeles has much more density that one would think.

Wikipedia says:

Kansas City, MO, has a population density of 1,594 people per square mile.

The 64106 zip code downtown has a density of 6,431 people per square mile.

64105 has a density of 6,717 people per square mile. It's the most dense zip code downtown.

Los Angeles has a population density of 8,495 people per square mile -- the entire city, not the densest part.
Last edited by FangKC on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 pm Los Angeles has much more density that one would think.

Wikipedia says:

Kansas City has a population density of 1,594 people per square mile.

Los Angeles has a population density of 8,495 people per square mile.
It’s dense suburbia, still suburbia. I’m sure Houston would be similar.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Rabble wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:58 pm
FangKC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 pm Los Angeles has much more density that one would think.

Wikipedia says:

Kansas City has a population density of 1,594 people per square mile.

Los Angeles has a population density of 8,495 people per square mile.
It’s dense suburbia, still suburbia. I’m sure Houston would be similar.
Wikipedia says 3,600 for City of Houston and 3,800 for City of Dallas.

I didn't realize Miami was so high but it makes sense with all of the towers going up.

City of Boston: 13,800
City of Miami: 13,000
City of Chicago: 11,800
City of Seattle: 9,260
City of LA: 8,495
Orange County (outside of LA): 4,000
City of Atlanta: 3800
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

"This building has a gym and a pool, therefore it's detrimental to downtown." I'm sure I'm going to regret engaging on this, but this argument makes no sense.

A) What? Obviously, a fitness center and/or pool isn't going to be replacing people's shopping or dining downtown. Are we just hyper-fixated on making sure there are lots of chain & independent gyms downtown?

B) If we're going to concern ourselves with things that could keep people insulated inside their apartment, where do we stop? Should WFH be banned city-wide? How about meal delivery services or meal prep subscriptions? Cable & internet is clearly a no-no. Better ban cell phones too, those conversations are replacing what needs to be a conversation at the local restaurant patio. /s

Personally, I trust fully grown adults who made the choice to live downtown, to know when they should leave the house.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

That's 100% right.

It's also just such a pretentious conversatIon. Amenities aren't used like this, and people trying to tell you how to live your life for the sake of their idea of urbanism are fuckheads.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Los Angeles the densest METRO area in the country! :lol:
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Rabble wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:32 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:19 pm

There is a cost to “downtowners” insulating themselves within their “downtown communities” instead of getting out and enjoying downtown.
Wtf thinks like this? It's creepy.

None of these places are all inclusive. They have gyms and pools to relax around privately. What messed up life do you have that everyone must spend their private time with you?

All of the residents walk, talk, and spend their time downtown. Most of them are barely used, and mostly used to go out to downtown places. They support local places much more than they hurt.

If you want places to stop building private amenities downtown, start building better public amenities.

I've lived downtown for years and make no apologies for paying more to have outdoor areas. 99% of it is used by people with dogs or people inviting friends over to go out.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I really doubt it, because they were replacing farm land and people were more interested in escaping from communities near black people or the poor.

Remember, the colonnades would have been in new upper middle class communities far from the bad parts of the city.
Rabble
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rabble »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:27 am
If you want places to stop building private amenities downtown, start building better public amenities.
Exactly my point. A great downtown is full of public amenities that are well used. Our few parks and public areas are shabby and unused. Nothing will change until the city knows there is a demand for improved and expanded public space. Apartment buildings full of private amenities don't benefit the future of our public amenities.