Mission Loses Herff Jones

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

This is a prime location, so my guess is that something retail will go in here.

The Business Journal of Kansas City - January 10, 2005

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... aily8.html

Mission printing plant will move to Edwardsville

Herff Jones Inc. announced Monday that it would move its Mission printing plant to a new Edwardsville building under construction on a 17-acre plot in the new Midpointe Corporate Centre.

"We look forward to our 170 employees moving into their new and modern business home next fall," said Rex Crandall, general manager of Indianapolis-based Herff Jones' yearbook division.

Construction began Monday on the 128,000 square-foot regional yearbook production plant, which is expected to employ 240 workers.

Miller-Stauch Construction Co. Inc. of Lenexa said it plans to complete the $23 million project by the fall. Edwardsville issued $22 million in industrial revenue bonds to help finance the project.

Beside yearbooks, Herff Jones manufactures a variety of commemorative products for educational institutions such as caps and gowns, diplomas, rings and portraits.

It also produces the Heisman Trophy and judicial and religious robes, including those worn by U.S. Supreme Court justices, the company said.

Miller-Stauch and Lenexa-based architect and engineer George Butler Associates managed site planning for the project.

© 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.
Missionite
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Missionite »

Kind of sad to see it go. It's been there since Mission was incorporated.

Then again, I'm sure it won't be hard to find something else to fill it. It's a pretty sizable lot and isn't the best to look at in its current state. With it's prime location on Metcalf and with the new Metcalf intersection, not to mention the relocation of Entercom just across the way, this is definitely a prime piece of real estate.

Matt
Discover America's Theme Parks @ www.ThemeParksMagazine.com
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Friends University just moved out of the tower a couple of blocks north of Herff Jones' plant. I wonder if that vacancy hurts the chances that an office building would go on this site rather than retail.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Here's the same article but from the Star, if anyone cares...

Posted on Tue, Jan. 11, 2005
Yearbook firm starts on new plant

By KEVIN COLLISON

The Kansas City Star

Herff Jones, a yearbook publishing company, broke ground Monday on a $23 million production facility in Edwardsville that will replace its 50-year-old plant in Mission.

Plant manager John McNown expects the Indianapolis-based company to double its local employment when the new plant is fully operational. The existing plant at 60th Street and Metcalf Avenue employs 110 to 185 peoplr depending on the production schedule, he said. The firm produces yearbooks for schools in the Midwest, Nevada, New Mexico and California.

The 128,000-square-foot replacement plant is being built in the MidPoint Corporate Centre, a new industrial office park near Kansas 32 and Interstate 435 in Edwardsville. The project was financed with industrial revenue bonds.

Miller-Stauch Construction Co. of Lenexa is managing the development and site planning process. George Butler Associates of Lenexa is the architect. Construction is expected to be completed by this fall.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I think this is the first time I have ever read about a Johnson County business moving to Wyandotte County.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Neither article above gives a reason for the move, but my guess is that they got an offer they couldn't refuse -- assuming that they own the Mission property. I'm surprised that the articles didn't cover the reason for the move. It's a pretty basic question, and one that most readers are likely to ask.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KC0KEK wrote:Neither article above gives a reason for the move, but my guess is that they got an offer they couldn't refuse -- assuming that they own the Mission property. I'm surprised that the articles didn't cover the reason for the move. It's a pretty basic question, and one that most readers are likely to ask.
Im guessing that they needed more space, and it might have been more costly to build a new facility in Mission.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
AndrewN
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AndrewN »

Someone should dig to see if there are any plans for the old Herff Jones site. What if Wal-mart wants to build a neighborhood market there? Of course that is pure speculation, but I get frightened when there are no announced plans for the old building.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Well, for starters, the Herff Jones site can leverage the adjacent intersection, which was upgraded for Target. So unlike the lots a few blocks north, redevelopment doesn't hinge partly on whether OP helps Mission fund a new intersection.

The site definitely couldn't accommodate a Wal-Mart Supercenter, but it could handle a Neighborhood Market. There's no way to expand the site by buying adjacent properties. To the north, a Panera Bread is under construction. The post office is to the east, and Target's parking lot is to the south.

A Kohl's might fit. The closest ones are in Shawnee and OP, so this site could be a possibility if they want a store in NE JoCo. Sears Grand is another possibility.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I don't like the title of this thread can it be changed to

"Wyandotte County stabs greedy JOCO in the back!!!!"

KCK IS BACK!!!!