Professional women taking the bus

Transportation topics in KC
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I take the bus to work from the Plaza to Crown Center everyday and have noticed a significant influx of professionally dressed women taking the bus, especially on the 51 line down Broadway but also several on the 56/57 lines down Main. Many pick it up around the Plaza or Brookside heading downtown to work. Last week for two mornings, I was the only male on the bus all the way to CC. The rest were well-dressed women.

Curious.

I also have to say that KC does not have the worst bus system. When it comes to metro wide, it does. But in the urban core it is mostly functional, just a little tedious to figure out and you have to check a schedule off-peak hours. If you need to get around the core, you can. There needs to be more frequency in the core and MAX will help. My brother moved to KC from Philly and didn't have a car in KC for 6 years before heading to NYC. It can be done.

In San Francisco, I've ridden the bus many times (though it's been 4 years) and you have to wait a long time for a bus on off-peak too. The cable cars are tourists only and BART is intercity, not intracity. You still have to take a bus in SF and it's no better than KC. It's also not easy to hail a cab in SF. You often have to go to a hotel to pick one up.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This makes sense, as there are LOTS of single, young profesisonal women living on or near the Plaza. It's a natural choice for the Sex in the City demographic that wants a relatively non-threatening city living experience.

Is there any city in the US besides NYC and Chicago where you can regularly hail a cab on the street? It's actually illegal in many cities.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've hailed many a cab in KC.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I just want to chime in here with some bus boosterism...

On one of those cold ass days last week I was riding the T (Lawrence's bus system) and got on a bus downtown that was completely packed. I'd heard this route was their busiest, but it was still nice to see so many others utilizing the bus. What impressed me the most was the diversity of the bus riders. Tons of different races...men and women alike...every age you can think of...couples riding together...singles...small groups. As we move so far away from each other in society, buses provide a great opportunity to let people into your lives that you may have nothing else in common otherwise. I feel it is really enriching to use public transit. Try just once taking the bus. Someone once told me that they think of the bus as a luxury rather than something that is sub-standard. I'd have to agree with them.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Professional women taking the bus

Post by mean »

ignatius wrote:I take the bus to work from the Plaza to Crown Center everyday and have noticed a significant influx of professionally dressed women taking the bus, especially on the 51 line down Broadway but also several on the 56/57 lines down Main.
Hah, you probably see my wife every morning.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

There's a couple of women where I work who started taking the bus when their cars got iced in, and kinda liked it and are planning to take it more often. The line you mention is the one I think they'd be on.