Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by AlbertHammond »

Midtownkid wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:18 pm
FangKC wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:30 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:34 pm An office building at NE corner of 47th/Main is going residential, luxury senior living. Would like to see some of the office spaces above Plaza retail also go residential.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... enior.html
Before:

After:

I liked it better as an office building. That's a really ugly building for such a prominent corner.
Honestly, I think this is an improvement. It was an ugly building. Now it's an ugly building with an interesting porch. It fits in with the plaza area better now, too.
"The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his client to plant vines" - Frank Lloyd Wright, 1931

This building could use some vines.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Another departure of a long time tenant on the Plaza

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 96457.html

the reason given was for expansion. Seems like that could have been accommodated very easily on the Plaza. I have to wonder if what is going on at the Plaza with so many defections and replacement by underwhelming stores is just bad luck, by design, or incompetence of the owner. Hopefully, Nordstroms will offer a little stability once it opens.

Is Nordstrom's even under construction yet?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

According to this, average Plaza rent jumped from $20 to $30 sqft in just the last year or so. Some mainstream retailers can handle it but probably not many locals.

With retail landscape changing it's time to give the Plaza a major overhaul with a broader mixed-use purpose. The new Plaza owners have recently visited some apt/condo buildings around Plaza asking for input.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

earthling wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:58 pm According to this, average Plaza rent jumped from $20 to $30 sqft in just the last year or so. Some mainstream retailers can handle it but probably not many locals.

With retail landscape changing it's time to give the Plaza a major overhaul with a broader mixed-use purpose. The new Plaza owners have recently visited some apt/condo buildings around Plaza asking for input.
That's a fairly steep rise in rent in one year. Are you sure that's true? If so, it explains a lot but wonder why the owners would do that? I'd rather have my rental space occupied getting a return on my investment at $20 per sq ft then leave it empty indefinitely. I would think a broader mix purpose shopping center would include tenants that would even be less able to pay the higher rents.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Correction: It jumped from $20 to $30 in just over two years, not one year, but still pretty extreme. I shouldn't be posting from memory! I don't know if true but the source is CBRE for both values. And yes, they'd have to reduce rates to shift to mixed use, with less shopping center focus. Stand alone shopping centers are shifting to mixed use in pedestrian areas around country due to online impact. Few traditional retailers are expanding. The Plaza needs to adjust with the times and mix things up, perhaps starting with adding residential component within the bowl.

Q1/2017 CBRE...

Q2/2019 CBRE...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This shows the dominance of online recently, Nonstore Retailers are online sellers. Restaurants/bars/eats, pharmacies and groceries are still growing (latter 2 Plaza lacks). Clothing stores and misc merchandise slowing down. And no surprise that Dept stores are dying.

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Highlander wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:42 pm Another departure of a long time tenant on the Plaza

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 96457.html

the reason given was for expansion. Seems like that could have been accommodated very easily on the Plaza. I have to wonder if what is going on at the Plaza with so many defections and replacement by underwhelming stores is just bad luck, by design, or incompetence of the owner. Hopefully, Nordstroms will offer a little stability once it opens.

Is Nordstrom's even under construction yet?
Parts of the parking garage behind Unity Temple have been blocked off in preparation for construction. Our son goes to Montessori school in Unity and they told us construction should be starting 'soon.'
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

As mentioned in other thread, the Plaza Nordstrom will be a smaller than avg store that is focused on services. They'll rotate items more often than seasonal to keep the store fresh. This is apparently Nordstrom's strategy moving forward, with other retailers also pursuing or looking at this strategy. Nordstrom has a storefront on Amazon, and others too in order to get hits from product searches. Using smaller stores for online returns, services and 'experiences'.

The Plaza also needs to adapt with broader experiences, such as shutting down most of Nichols Rd for a pedestrian only street that creates a people-centric vibe. You can't get that online.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

at the risk of sounding like a cranky kansas city star website commenter: i'm legitimately curious if there are other upscale shopping districts in the U.S., which command some of the highest rents in their respective regions, which see the level of crime and mischief of the plaza? the shooting of 4 teens this weekend in a plaza hotel room being just the latest.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Chicago's Michigan Ave does.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah that was one example i had in mind.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

At the risk of taking this thread the wrong direction, can happen with any shopping district near inner city neighborhoods that are struggling with issues. Let's leave it at that.

The Plaza needs to transition with what they can control, to depend less on regional draw yet still be appealing to region. Downtown is hot now, making Plaza 'so last century'. Would build up residential on top of the garages, smaller/quainter neighborhood-like restaurants that are unique to metro, broader tasteful nightlife, pedestrian only street, experiences. YadaYada.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if crime will drop a bit since the movie theater has closed?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 pm I wonder if crime will drop a bit since the movie theater has closed?
I've wondered if that was the motivation for closing the theater. But Shake Shack I think would attract a lot of teenagers as well. The new owners do not seem to have any real strategy for the Plaza. Not one that is easily discernible from their actions.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I haven't heard of trouble with groups of teens roaming the Plaza at all this summer, but maybe it's just being kept out of the media or I've been too busy to pay attention. I still won't go on a Saturday night due to bad experiences the past few years. But with the shooting in the Sheraton Suites last weekend, is there a trend where teens have a new game plan and just hang out in hotel rooms?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

chrizow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am at the risk of sounding like a cranky kansas city star website commenter: i'm legitimately curious if there are other upscale shopping districts in the U.S., which command some of the highest rents in their respective regions, which see the level of crime and mischief of the plaza? the shooting of 4 teens this weekend in a plaza hotel room being just the latest.
These out of control parties are also common in some of the large Airbnb's, teens will end up throwing huge parties at these airbnb's and fights/shootings break out. One happened at Gilham and Locust not too long ago. Neighbors and people that are staying at this hotel just need to be vigilant.

Could you imagine if you were staying at this hotel with family from out of town and you were on this floor and this kind of crap happened? They would never want to visit KC again. I would have called the police at midnight or as soon as the party was getting started. Also, the hotel room probably got completely trashed and I feel bad for the maids.

Some hotel chains actually won't rent to locals or if you don't have a credit card, these kind of policies probably need to be enforced on Airbnb and Hotels if you want to curb out of control parties
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 am
chrizow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am at the risk of sounding like a cranky kansas city star website commenter: i'm legitimately curious if there are other upscale shopping districts in the U.S., which command some of the highest rents in their respective regions, which see the level of crime and mischief of the plaza? the shooting of 4 teens this weekend in a plaza hotel room being just the latest.
These out of control parties are also common in some of the large Airbnb's, teens will end up throwing huge parties at these airbnb's and fights/shootings break out. One happened at Gilham and Locust not too long ago. Neighbors and people that are staying at this hotel just need to be vigilant.

Could you imagine if you were staying at this hotel with family from out of town and you were on this floor and this kind of crap happened? They would never want to visit KC again. I would have called the police at midnight or as soon as the party was getting started. Also, the hotel room probably got completely trashed and I feel bad for the maids.

Some hotel chains actually won't rent to locals or if you don't have a credit card, these kind of policies probably need to be enforced on Airbnb and Hotels if you want to curb out of control parties
Makes me wonder if business at the hotel will suffer. Having guests post about teen parties and a shooting on Trip Advisor or other websites might make people think twice about staying there. I know I use those websites all the time to get an idea about where to stay when I go out of town.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Someone from Chicago already posted this on Trip Advisor

Decent hotel. All good until waking up at 3:30a to shots fired. Learned details on news this morning. No advisory from hotel whatsoever. 4 injured from shooting in a hotel room. Disappointed in hotel about not providing even the most basic advisoruly with a call or note under door. I get that details can't be given but learning more on news first isn't a great approach
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The following is on the Port KC Board of Commissioners agenda for today:

"Consideration of an Inducement Resolution to Finance the Redevelopment of the Jack Henry Building and Creation of a Port Improvement District"

No indication of what the redevelopment would entail, but the rumor a while back was Nordstrom Rack and apartments.

On a separate note, it seems like things have gone quiet on the demo/redevelopment of the church next door. Are we assuming that project is dead?
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Plaza development deal gets OK, but Port KC won’t reveal tenant for historic building
from KC Star

The Port KC board of commissioners on Monday approved a redevelopment plan for the Jack Henry Building on the Country Club Plaza before learning who will be the primary tenant of the historic building. Matt Pennington, president of Drake Development, came to the Port Authority of Kansas City’s board seeking tax incentives. He laid out plans for a top-to-bottom renovation for the vacant building at 612 W. 47th St. that previously housed menswear store Byron on the Plaza. It closed last fall. He said he’s acquired a “best-in-class” entertainment tenant that plans to occupy 22,000 square feet of the 64,000-square-foot building. It will be a new concept for Kansas City, but he declined to name the tenant. Other retailers or restaurants will round out the building, he said.

The project will not receive any property tax abatement, officials said. But members of the port authority’s board voted to approve a special Port Improvement District for the building. That will have have all tenants of the Jack Henry Building impose an extra 1% sales tax on all sales to funnel back to the developer. Mark Coulter, Port KC’s general counsel, said the incentive arrangement was different than any the agency had previously approved. But he said he believes “it sets the right tone, especially for incentive projects.”

The developer will also receive a sales tax exemption on construction materials. After the meeting, Pennington said he expects the building to generate $35 million in annual sales — meaning the 1 % sales tax could raise some $350,000 per year.

Pennington said the tenant’s name would not be disclosed until after approval of the project. After his presentation, the board voted to approve the staff-recommended project. Board member Dan Fowler, who represents the second district on the Kansas City Council, cast the only no vote. He was concerned that the developer had not reached out to the Plaza neighborhood ahead of Monday’s meeting.

Board member Kelley Martin said he wouldn’t expect any neighborhood push-back because the project will revive a historic building and ultimately make that area of the Plaza safer.

After the board approved the deal, they met in closed session with the developer to learn the name of the tenant. Monday’s agenda called for a closed session to discuss “legal actions, real estate transactions and personnel issues.”

Following that session, Pennington told The Star that the name of the major tenant would likely be announced in the next 30 days. He said the anchor concept will include a food component with a “scratch kitchen” and said other restaurants may fill in the remainder of the building. Construction could start within 90 days, he said, with the anchor tenant opening in the middle of 2020. He told the board he planned to share details with neighbors soon and that he had already discussed it with City Hall staff.

Pennington said the cost of revamping the six-story building exceeds the cost of new construction. The 1950s-era building needs asbestos abatement, sewer repairs and a basement excavation to increase ceiling heights. He plans to keep the parking structure on the upper floors, rework some of the facade and add a second tower to match the current one.

It will retain the Jack Henry Building name and signage, he said, and keep the historic character of the building. Jack Henry was the name of an 83-year-old clothing store that shuttered in 2014, before being rebranded into Byron in 2014. Port KC President and CEO Jon Stephens said the organization got involved in the Plaza project to save an iconic Plaza building from the wrecking ball. He stressed that the retail redevelopment would receive no property tax abatements and that the property tax and sales tax revenue on the site would increase upon completion.