OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by flyingember »

I imagine that's up in the air at this point. The concept map had lines and end points for the purpose of having them on the map and showing people there would be multiple stops.

Like their northland station would be roughly I-29 and Tiffany Springs Pkwy. It's not a real point by any means.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Follow I-70 to Van Brunt and then take it down, or under, 31st street. Straight line and a good spot for an urban station somewhere along the streetcar line. You could have a major suburban station by the stadium complex. Plenty of space.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Good. Glad to see some real density being proposed. Union (suburban style) developments don’t bring enough to the table to warrant a streetcar line imho.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:44 am Found this.

https://www.jpricearchitecture.com/rive ... wdBd0Ttg5Y
Link doesn't work for me.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The architecture firm appears to have taken it off their site entirely. It appears they didn't want it seen widely, or maybe it was cancelled by the developer, and the architecture firm had just not taken it down yet. It was listed under "On the Boards." The developer was Star Developments.

From my memory, it was two 10-12 story residential towers surrounded by a base of what appeared to be townhouses on the north and one- or two-stories of retail on the south. I assume a hidden garage sat in the middle of the block. The facade was three contrasting colors I think. I was an attractive building. It sat on the first parcel east of the Union apartments.

The townhouses were separated from the tower block. There must be an alley running behind them. A retail building on the south might have also been separate from the apartment tower--separated by an alley or walkway.
Last edited by FangKC on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Port KC has multiple LOI’s for additional housing and a hotel on lot #3 (empty site adjacent to Union). Not sure if the images above are related to said LOI’s.

A beer garden type development is planned to go into the park - near the streetcar station.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've decided the city should shut down the NB lane of Grand Street viaduct and make it a ped/bike path only. Who is with me? How do I get this done?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:11 pm Port KC has multiple LOI’s for additional housing and a hotel on lot #3 (empty site adjacent to Union). Not sure if the images above are related to said LOI’s.

A beer garden type development is planned to go into the park - near the streetcar station.
The next project to go up is expected to have ~350 units.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:40 am I've decided the city should shut down the NB lane of Grand Street viaduct and make it a ped/bike path only. Who is with me? How do I get this done?
They plan on building a new biking/walking bridge soon so I doubt they’d do that.

Closing the bridge to vehicular traffic once the streetcar extension opens though...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes I know the long term plan. I don't know why that would at all influence this idea. It's quick to implement and can be reversed if it impacts anything negatively.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:38 pm Yes I know the long term plan. I don't know why that would at all influence this idea. It's quick to implement and can be reversed if it impacts anything negatively.
Sorry. My thinking was that they would need to be closing the NB lane for construction while they are building the bike lane on to its side.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ahh yes that is true. We are a ways from that though. Let's close it and give us access to the riverfront.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i can't think of a car ban i wouldn't support. i-35 bus and scooters only let's go!!
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

normalthings wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:51 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:38 pm Yes I know the long term plan. I don't know why that would at all influence this idea. It's quick to implement and can be reversed if it impacts anything negatively.
Sorry. My thinking was that they would need to be closing the NB lane for construction while they are building the bike lane on to its side.
It looks to be a completely separate structure on the cityscene article so I doubt they'll close any lanes then.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is this not done yet?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Events
  • Fourth of July Celebration hosted over 70,000+ visitors. Attendance expected to increase as regional communities continue to drop their own shows
  • Pride Fest numbers have not been finalized but over 40,000+
  • Mac N’ Cheese festival just inked.
Development
  • 2 more deals under contract. Union + 2 new projects will make up a combined 25% of the 5.1 million SF of developable space. 1 of the new projects will be similar to Union. One will be a “lot taller”.
  • Target is a 15 year - 2 economic cycle buildout.
  • Looking at Portland South Waterfront and Denver Rail Yards for inspiration.
  • Streetcar and Bike/Ped connections expected to drive development in the area similar to Portland South Water Front
“We try to add 1 activity center a year and consistently build density with each new project” - Joe Perry

Most important update:
  • 80%+ of Union residents own a dog
Last edited by normalthings on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hopefully these will feel seamlessly integrated into each other from a pedestrian perspective, not a series of isolated island projects.