OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
kenrbnj
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by kenrbnj » Fri May 31, 2019 9:14 am

Copaken Brooks announced something of a commitment date..

https://www.copaken-brooks.com/our-properties/strata/

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9109
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by Highlander » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:22 pm

While they do make it sound like this is definitely going to happen, they don't make it clear as to when.

Sometimes I wonder if the streetcar line has been too successful. I'd love to see this built south of Sprint Arena on Grand to fill in some of KC's most high profile surface lots but the streetcar seems to be increasing the density of KC's already dense areas.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14381
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by GRID » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:39 am

I don't think this project has anything to do with the streetcar. It has to do with development rights, being part of the existing cordish development etc. But they need to get the thing up. It will suck if it takes years to break ground on this. Downtown needs new class A office space so bad.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by WoodDraw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:40 am

I worry this won't really be spec and they're just waiting around until they find a tenant.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1779
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by normalthings » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:12 pm

WoodDraw wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:40 am
I worry this won't really be spec and they're just waiting around until they find a tenant.
They had been in serious talks with a few potential tenants.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by WoodDraw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:25 pm

normalthings wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:12 pm
WoodDraw wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:40 am
I worry this won't really be spec and they're just waiting around until they find a tenant.
They had been in serious talks with a few potential tenants.
Yeah, this just seems more Corrigan take two than I wanted.

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2518
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by kboish » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm

I think they have a timeline to begin construction in order to receive the incentives in the contract, so that may have some bearing on why it is even "spec" in the first place. Incentives too sweet to pass up even if you don't have a tenant.

WoodDraw
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by WoodDraw » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:11 pm

kboish wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm
I think they have a timeline to begin construction in order to receive the incentives in the contract, so that may have some bearing on why it is even "spec" in the first place. Incentives too sweet to pass up even if you don't have a tenant.
I think hr block had some role in this too. Weren't they set to lose rights pretty soon?

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1779
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by normalthings » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:07 am

kenrbnj wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:14 am
Copaken Brooks announced something of a commitment date..

https://www.copaken-brooks.com/our-properties/strata/
They should be buying concrete and/or steel relatively soon if that time is accurate.

User avatar
KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:10 pm

The following item is on the City Council agenda for today:
Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Master Development Financing Agreement among the City, the Port Authority of Kansas City, Missouri and Power Tower Block 124, LP in relation to the construction of a Class A office tower and parking garage in the Power & Light District; and recognizing this ordinance as having an accelerated effective date.
I wonder if there is any significance to the accelerated effective date.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1779
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by normalthings » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:29 pm

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:10 pm
The following item is on the City Council agenda for today:
Authorizing the City Manager to execute a Master Development Financing Agreement among the City, the Port Authority of Kansas City, Missouri and Power Tower Block 124, LP in relation to the construction of a Class A office tower and parking garage in the Power & Light District; and recognizing this ordinance as having an accelerated effective date.
I wonder if there is any significance to the accelerated effective date.
Yes, multiple projects were put on the docket w/ accelerated effective dates. Trying to get things approved before Lucas/new council takes over and can kill them.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5148
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by earthling » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Would imagine more proposals in the works involving city help of some form will rush for approval before Aug 1, if ducks in a row that is. Might we see some new proposals pop in just to get in before then, that we haven't heard about yet?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17518
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by DaveKCMO » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:19 pm

There's only like two council meetings left before the new team is seated.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29451
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:15 pm

they have been accelerating effective dates for years. Started to dodge petitions if I recall correctly.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17518
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by DaveKCMO » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:43 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:15 pm
they have been accelerating effective dates for years. Started to dodge petitions if I recall correctly.
It dodges referendums. They also appropriate a paltry $10K so they can claim there's an expenditure to meet the requirements.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29451
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:45 pm

thanks for the clarification.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1779
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by normalthings » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:30 pm

....
Last edited by normalthings on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1779
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by normalthings » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 am

kenrbnj wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:14 am
Copaken Brooks announced something of a commitment date..

https://www.copaken-brooks.com/our-properties/strata/

Looks like Copaken has announced a slight sizing increase?
262,656 SF, 16-story, Class A Office Building. Ample parking for tenants includes 770 spaces
The ordinance filed last week lists the expected job count as 1,100. This is far below the original estimate of 1,800 used in previous news articles and the January ordinance. I assume these changes can be chocked up to Design Evolution and/or having lined up tenants.

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by langosta » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:38 pm

normalthings wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:20 am
kenrbnj wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:14 am
Copaken Brooks announced something of a commitment date..

https://www.copaken-brooks.com/our-properties/strata/

Looks like Copaken has announced a slight sizing increase?
262,656 SF, 16-story, Class A Office Building. Ample parking for tenants includes 770 spaces
The ordinance filed last week lists the expected job count as 1,100. This is far below the original estimate of 1,800 used in previous news articles and the January ordinance. I assume these changes can be chocked up to Design Evolution and/or having lined up tenants.
My gut tells me a tech firm will move into Strata.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by beautyfromashes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:42 am

Apparently, the Star Opinion board can’t do any actual journalism, saying there aren’t any tenants for this building so it shouldn’t receive incentives. Trust me, there are.

Post Reply