Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Westport

Post by flyingember »

Imarealperson wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:12 am Lol. Come on man, KC definitely has more crime than OP. It has a lot of other things that OP doesn’t have though.

Weird place to make a stand.
You will be surprised then that it's not nearly that clear.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/city ... n-america/
In 90 of the 100 largest metro areas, the gap between city and suburban property crime rates narrowed from 1990 to 2008. In most metro areas, city and suburban crime rates rose or fell together.
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/02/ ... ng/581587/
“In terms of policing, there really hasn’t been, as far as we can tell, a whole lot of effort focused geographically at suburban policing and how that impacts enforcement nationally,” said Rebecca Neusteter, the policing program director at the Vera Institute of Justice. “By simply focusing on that city, we’re missing the mark.”

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-drug-boos ... ility.html
Communities with narcotics trafficking bring in serious, high-rate offenders, whose activities spill over into surrounding neighborhoods,"
https://shawneemissionpost.com/2019/03/ ... il-1-77915
Violent, drug-related crimes are on the increase in Johnson County. It’s now serious enough that next month Sheriff Calvin Hayden will reopen a special task force whose purpose is to put pressure on drug dealers.

Citing shootings in north Overland Park and Olathe in just the past several weeks, Hayden said violence connected to marijuana dealers appears to be driving a recent uptick in violent crime.

“Our narcotics have gone up exponentially,” Hayden told a recent meeting with county commissioners and other county officials. “There are 16- and 17-year-olds that are doing marijuana rip-offs. They’re armed, looking for people dealing marijuana to rip them off.”
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... hoods.html
Car thieves target Overland Park neighborhoods
https://www.kmbc.com/article/fbi-report ... p/26563057
A new FBI report shows crime is down in much of Missouri. But crime in part of Johnson County, Kansas is up. Olathe and Overland Park are seeing more violent crimes and robberies.
https://fox4kc.com/2019/04/15/this-isnt ... nt-crimes/
Law enforcement agencies in Johnson County are banding together to fight the unprecedented rise in violent crime.

Drugs are often at the root of violent crime. In Johnson County, what's disturbing is who's committing these crimes and why.
When Hayden became the Johnson County sheriff in 2017, his deputies were dealing with a lot of auto thefts at the far end of the county. That would be the first sign drug activity was picking up.
"Historically, a decade ago, two decades ago, a lot of cartels would limit themselves to the inner city," he said. "But as they become more established and they become more wealthy, it's quite common to see them branching out into suburban areas including Johnson County."
Last edited by flyingember on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Do we really need to have this conversation in this thread?
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

kboish wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am Do we really need to have this conversation in this thread?
Agreed! As davekcmo would say "back on topic please"
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am Do we really need to have this conversation in this thread?
Understanding what drives violent crime and where it really is is important for the discussion around the privatizing Westport's sidewalks.

It actually could validate putting up fences and doing searches if finding drugs keeps down violent crime by keeping drug deals away from the area.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:21 pm Regardless, crime happens even in Overland Park.
Technically, zero crime occurred in this shooting. Self-protection -- a "justified kill." There was an attempted armed robbery, but as the perp has since died -- no crime to tabulate.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

johnmatrix wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:50 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 pm Yup, Midtown violent crime happens often and I'm sure you'll be happy to point every one out. You should create a new thread in all caps for each incident just to make sure we are all well informed. &&&
Odd post.
You're trolling and you know it.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

earthling wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:15 am
johnmatrix wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:50 pm
earthling wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 pm Yup, Midtown violent crime happens often and I'm sure you'll be happy to point every one out. You should create a new thread in all caps for each incident just to make sure we are all well informed. &&&
Odd post.
You're trolling and you know it.
No but I'd say 26 rounds being let off right outside an entertainment district is news worthy.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

What I don't understand is why wasn't there any kind of news story about it?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

unfortunately, shootouts are not really that unusual in midtown or other parts of the city. the number of bullets apparently involved here is perhaps a bit unusual but, if no one was actually shot, i am not sure it would be newsworthy. when we lived in HP, during warm weather it was not uncommon at all to hear bursts of multiple gunshots, screeching tires, etc. relatively nearby.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

On a more positive note Denver Biscuit Co is moving into Westport with a scheduled October opening.

They are using 4 concepts into 1 place. Breakfast, Pizza, Ice Cream, and a late night bar. Will be interesting to see how they pull this off.
Imarealperson
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Imarealperson »

flyingember wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am
Imarealperson wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:12 am Lol. Come on man, KC definitely has more crime than OP. It has a lot of other things that OP doesn’t have though.

Weird place to make a stand.
You will be surprised then that it's not nearly that clear.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/city ... n-america/
In 90 of the 100 largest metro areas, the gap between city and suburban property crime rates narrowed from 1990 to 2008. In most metro areas, city and suburban crime rates rose or fell together.
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/02/ ... ng/581587/
“In terms of policing, there really hasn’t been, as far as we can tell, a whole lot of effort focused geographically at suburban policing and how that impacts enforcement nationally,” said Rebecca Neusteter, the policing program director at the Vera Institute of Justice. “By simply focusing on that city, we’re missing the mark.”

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-drug-boos ... ility.html
Communities with narcotics trafficking bring in serious, high-rate offenders, whose activities spill over into surrounding neighborhoods,"
https://shawneemissionpost.com/2019/03/ ... il-1-77915
Violent, drug-related crimes are on the increase in Johnson County. It’s now serious enough that next month Sheriff Calvin Hayden will reopen a special task force whose purpose is to put pressure on drug dealers.

Citing shootings in north Overland Park and Olathe in just the past several weeks, Hayden said violence connected to marijuana dealers appears to be driving a recent uptick in violent crime.

“Our narcotics have gone up exponentially,” Hayden told a recent meeting with county commissioners and other county officials. “There are 16- and 17-year-olds that are doing marijuana rip-offs. They’re armed, looking for people dealing marijuana to rip them off.”
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... hoods.html
Car thieves target Overland Park neighborhoods
https://www.kmbc.com/article/fbi-report ... p/26563057
A new FBI report shows crime is down in much of Missouri. But crime in part of Johnson County, Kansas is up. Olathe and Overland Park are seeing more violent crimes and robberies.
https://fox4kc.com/2019/04/15/this-isnt ... nt-crimes/
Law enforcement agencies in Johnson County are banding together to fight the unprecedented rise in violent crime.

Drugs are often at the root of violent crime. In Johnson County, what's disturbing is who's committing these crimes and why.
When Hayden became the Johnson County sheriff in 2017, his deputies were dealing with a lot of auto thefts at the far end of the county. That would be the first sign drug activity was picking up.
"Historically, a decade ago, two decades ago, a lot of cartels would limit themselves to the inner city," he said. "But as they become more established and they become more wealthy, it's quite common to see them branching out into suburban areas including Johnson County."

You’ve got to be kidding me.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

You must be new here.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Sounds like we should ship a few Westport CID members to JoCo to privatize and make pedestrian only streets, maybe add a few metal detectors to Park Place and Prairie Fire.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Back on topic. I will delete your off-topic shit.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

st. louis
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

warwickland wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 amst. louis
Yeah I miss IMO's. The El Fogon place that replaced it just isnt very good. Excited for Big Biscuit to open next door.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I know this isn't imo's but for a thin crust with a somewhat sweet sauce and normal cheese I would suggest KC Kitchen and Pizza. I think the style is called brickhouse pizza. I have really enjoyed the place the last few times we have gone in and its always open late. The place is usually dead but the service has gotten much much better over the years and they usually run some great specials. The 49 cent Wing night on Thursday is pretty solid and they have crispy wings, not the fleshy skin wings you get at some places.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

johnmatrix wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am
Yeah I miss IMO's. The El Fogon place that replaced it just isnt very good. Excited for Big Biscuit to open next door.
that imos in westport was terrible, unless they turned it around. although, at least 1/2 of imos locations are pretty bad...the corporate QA/QC re: ingredients and prep are non-existent. if i recall, the st. louis style pie at waldo pizza was the best in kc that i've had.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

warwickland wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:41 pm
that imos in westport was terrible, unless they turned it around. although, at least 1/2 of imos locations are pretty bad...the corporate QA/QC re: ingredients and prep are non-existent. if i recall, the st. louis style pie at waldo pizza was the best in kc that i've had.
The Westport Imo's was always garbage. They never fixed it. The Sarpinos in Westport is terrible too. I think they must have some issues consistently staffing and training at lower end chains like that.

Caddyshack offers their pizza with provel "cheese". It's better than Waldo, IMO.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:47 pm
warwickland wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:41 pm

The Westport Imo's was always garbage. They never fixed it. The Sarpinos in Westport is terrible too. I think they must have some issues consistently staffing and training at lower end chains like that.

Caddyshack offers their pizza with provel "cheese". It's better than Waldo, IMO.
Whats wrong with Sarpinos? I thought it tastes pretty good but then again im usually drunk when I order it.