Corvino

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Corvino

Post by chrizow »

dined at corvino last night. we found it to be very impressive on all fronts. the place looks great. live music is a great touch. the cocktails are as good as anywhere. the wine list is thoughtful although i would maybe want to see more old-world reds by the glass.

we tried several dishes: steak tartare (with smoked bearnaise, mustard seeds, pickled onion, and housemade pumpernickel crackers - it was very good, classic flavors but a little different than the norm). foie gras torchon (with miso-cherry pudding, cocoa nibs, forbidden rice crackers - outstanding, i'm usually pretty lukewarm on foie gras but it was delicious). avocado-carrot salad (with black lime, mint and pine nuts - also delicious). roasted oyster mushrooms (with charred peaches, shiso, and a romesco type sauce - this was the only miss, it tasted kind of like burned pizza crust). fried chicken ssam (basically lettuce wraps with spicy and delicious chicken thigh tenders). we also had dessert, which was a glorious chocolate cake with mascarpone mousse and coffee ice cream, which is now one of our favorite desserts in KC. all of the dishes were also very beautiful visually and most were served on attractive, hand-made ceramic plates.

the service was also really great. for a refined, expensive restaurant, the service was very friendly, down to earth, and affable. the server accurately discerned we did not like the oyster mushroom dish, requested and seemed to appreciate our feedback, and took it off our check (which we did not request or expect, but thought it was a nice touch).

overall the restaurant seems to be firing on all cylinders straight out of the gate. it is unquestionably one of the best restos in KC right now, maybe the best in terms of total package. we are looking forward to going back to try the tasting menu.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Corvino

Post by taxi »

I agree. My other new favorite is Antler Room, which is completely different in so many ways – size, interior design and color palate, and overall vibe. But the food is just as good. Both are inventive and adventurous.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I'm moving into an office at Corrigan Station on Tuesday. Hoping to finish the move off with a dinner at Corvino. I doubt it will become a regular haunt, but everything sounds really good.

Need to try Antler Room too.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Agreed. Antler Room and Corvino are great additions to the dining scene. I'd put them up there with Novel/Bluestem/Rieger/Port Fonda as our favorite places to go for a nice meal nowadays.

**Edit** - I should also add Krokstrom to my list of favorite places.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I made fun of my friend raving about krokstrom until I had it and fell in love with it!
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Is there a bar at Antler Room?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kucer wrote:Is there a bar at Antler Room?
yes.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

We went to Corvino Saturday night to try the late-night burger (and it lived up to the hype - A++ would eat again) and a coctail; we'll be back to work through more of their menu soon.

The Star has an article about them getting a AAA Four Diamond Award; Bluestem is the only other restaurant in KC to have received one.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Ravenous, a fast-casual lunch counter, will open this summer in the small park at the corner of 19th and Main Streets. The kitchen space is attached to their current building, Corrigan Station, and Ravenous will feature outdoor seating.
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 904c0.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean this could be the start of a shake shack type of enterprise if they wanted to make it into that.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Is Ravenous open yet? Most of the articles seemed to indicate a July/Summer opening.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Opening date has slipped to mid-September.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Still not open I assume. I have been wanting desperately to try it all summer, but it keeps not being open. It's sort of like the ongoing Pickleman's disappointment, except I actually care whether Ravenous opens.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:21 am Still not open I assume. I have been wanting desperately to try it all summer, but it keeps not being open. It's sort of like the ongoing Pickleman's disappointment, except I actually care whether Ravenous opens.
And Ravenous has appeared complete for a month or more now.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Not open. The space is complete is open to the public.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:10 pm Not open. The space is complete is open to the public.
Any idea what's the hold up? Everything appears complete, kitchen is in, etc. A KCMO issue?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:08 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:10 pm Not open. The space is complete is open to the public.
Any idea what's the hold up? Everything appears complete, kitchen is in, etc. A KCMO issue?
From what I understand, it's a codes/permits issue. I believe the exact model (preparing food outdoors for outdoor consumption with a liquor license shared with the adjacent restaurant) is a bit of a square peg for KCMO. Don't know the particulars though.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Ravenous won't open until next spring, it appears; the secondhand information I've heard is that getting the code issues resolved involves installing a window.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC biz care office seems to be working well