Daycare Options

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Daycare Options

Post by kcjak »

My husband and I have a 10-month old boy and starting to look at options for daycare in the Fall. Right now we have a nanny come to our house two days a week - we love her, but nanny taxes, quarterly taxes and other fees are killing us. I've done some high-level looks at Central Methodist, Willow Woods (Westport) and Willow Montessori (Unity Temple).

Does anyone have any experience with those or other daycares? I don't want a daycare that operates out of someone's house, want something centrally located (we live in Volker) and accepting of children with two dads (so nothing Catholic-based). Thanks
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Daycare Options

Post by brewcrew1000 »

We did 3 years at the YMCA in midtown. It's a good program and it seems like everyone who went there got into AL. It's very diverse and welcoming of all walks of life.

I also liked it cause I could use a credit card so what I would do is get a new credit card every 6 months or so when I hit the spending bonus then get a new one, it never hurt my credit score and I paid it off each month I have racked up millions of airline/hotel miles just on daycare so Im at least getting something out of the huge cost in the form of basically free vacations.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

We had a great experience at Union Hill.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:35 pm We did 3 years at the YMCA in midtown. It's a good program and it seems like everyone who went there got into AL. It's very diverse and welcoming of all walks of life.

I also liked it cause I could use a credit card so what I would do is get a new credit card every 6 months or so when I hit the spending bonus then get a new one, it never hurt my credit score and I paid it off each month I have racked up millions of airline/hotel miles just on daycare so Im at least getting something out of the huge cost in the form of basically free vacations.
Seems to be a very popular place - they are booked all the way to the end of the 2019-2020 calendar...so nothing available until August 2020.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The YMCA daycare is one of the few places with lots of space, has space for infants and supports low income families. We pay $150/week for daycare which is cheap and the one near us is even cheaper if you don't earn much. They're always going to be full.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

I would like to plug Notre Dame de Sion for its new(ish) Petite program, as well as Montessori Pre-K. Both at the Hyde Park lower school campus. Great community and seemingly a little under-the-radar due to the relative newness of the program. Sion is co-ed from Petite through 8th grade.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chrizow wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:11 pm I would like to plug Notre Dame de Sion for its new(ish) Petite program, as well as Montessori Pre-K. Both at the Hyde Park lower school campus. Great community and seemingly a little under-the-radar due to the relative newness of the program. Sion is co-ed from Petite through 8th grade.
Since our son has two dads, the recent issue of the Catholic church not allowing a child to be enrolled at St Ann's in JoCo doesn't bode well for us enrolling him in any catholic educational system.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 am
chrizow wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:11 pm I would like to plug Notre Dame de Sion for its new(ish) Petite program, as well as Montessori Pre-K. Both at the Hyde Park lower school campus. Great community and seemingly a little under-the-radar due to the relative newness of the program. Sion is co-ed from Petite through 8th grade.
Since our son has two dads, the recent issue of the Catholic church not allowing a child to be enrolled at St Ann's in JoCo doesn't bode well for us enrolling him in any catholic educational system.
Are you more of a Greg Evigan or a Paul Reiser?
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

I have found the KC/STJ (MO side) diocese to be much more fair minded and just than the Kansas side. It doesn't surprise me that Archbishop Naumann would choose bigotry and hatred over helping a child.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Anybody use Spectrum Station?

(or is that not PreK? I have no children....)
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

smh wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:19 pm Anybody use Spectrum Station?

(or is that not PreK? I have no children....)
They do have daycare options, but a lengthy waiting list.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Sion isn't part of a diocese. In fact, I believe the St. Ann's family in the news recently has since chosen Sion - and I understand several families from St. Ann's have shifted to Sion in the wake of that controversy.

Sion is an independent school (like St. Paul's, Barstow, Pembroke) and is pretty progressive and more diverse than many schools (including public and charters). There are other same-sex parents in the school - as well as families of all faiths (and non-faiths).
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chrizow wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:48 pm
Sion isn't part of a diocese. In fact, I believe the St. Ann's family in the news recently has since chosen Sion - and I understand several families from St. Ann's have shifted to Sion in the wake of that controversy.

Sion is an independent school (like St. Paul's, Barstow, Pembroke) and is pretty progressive and more diverse than many schools (including public and charters). There are other same-sex parents in the school - as well as families of all faiths (and non-faiths).
Thanks for the info - will check it out!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

YMCA looks like it's shutdown. Wife ran into one of the teachers today and they shutdown today without notice. It's possible Y is closing all of it's daycare centers though.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Thanks for the info. We opted for Willow Montessori in Unity Temple - starting next Monday!