Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by beautyfromashes »

FangKC wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:55 pm I'm surprised I haven't gotten flyers from Justus since she represents my district.
She knows your brain is too powerful to manipulate.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:11 pm Yeah - Same here on the Justus mailers - probably 4 or 5 over the past two weeks. I thought it may be a combination of repetition and multiple lists - that weren't de-duped.

Does anyone expect any more than 25K to vote in April?
Absolutely

the 2015 primary had 25,000 with 3 running and a popular mayor who was going to win
The 2011 primary had 37,000. It was 7 running then

This time has a number of better known names running.

We received a brochure from what's clearly a right-wing interest group around all races. (supported Hall, Loar and Shields among others). Once special interests are involved you know they're aiming for turnout.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:33 pm We received a brochure from what's clearly a right-wing interest group around all races. (supported Hall, Loar and Shields among others). Once special interests are involved you know they're aiming for turnout.
What was the group's name? Shields may have issues, but she's nowhere near right wing on the political spectrum.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Are the Sunday KCMO walks something anyone can join or is it campaign members only?

@davekcmo
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:58 pm Are the Sunday KCMO walks something anyone can join or is it campaign members only?

@davekcmo
Message the campaign to join: https://www.facebook.com/JustusforKC/

Next segment is East Bottoms to Northland.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 pm
flyingember wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:33 pm We received a brochure from what's clearly a right-wing interest group around all races. (supported Hall, Loar and Shields among others). Once special interests are involved you know they're aiming for turnout.
What was the group's name? Shields may have issues, but she's nowhere near right wing on the political spectrum.
Something Carpenters? I couldn't find the mailing when I was writing that.

In context she's more right wing than the alternatives
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:21 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:07 pm
Something Carpenters? I couldn't find the mailing when I was writing that.

In context she's more right wing than the alternatives
It was the Carpenters' Union, no? I don't think they're known for being right wing (they endorsed Jolie for mayor). I think they simply endorsed the incumbents running for reelection (Loar, Hall, Shields, Barnes, Fowler).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I got a robo call for Canady

It was from an unknown number, they called near 9pm and it took me three times to understand what they were saying. I’m usually fine with accents but they talked really quick.

Not an interest builder.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I got a call for Canady on Saturday around 3p. It went to voicemail, but it sounded like a live person - not a recording/robo call.

Someone from Justus's campaign texted me about a week ago as well. It was nice, but I haven't responded.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:57 pm
WSPanic wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:26 am Have Kander or Sly shown any favorites or hinted toward an endorsement?
Sly will endorse Justus.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/n ... 68729.html
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:13 pm Yikes... this guy (Steve West)

https://www.docdroid.net/RSyuITE/steve-west.pdf#page=2
Do I need to watch the video that got him in trouble to understand this piece? He seems all over the place.

Update: Is he saying that Isreal controls the world?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

That's a lot to unpack
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:25 pm

That's a lot to unpack
I skimmed the first paragraph or so. I couldn't get past the, extreme, unrepentant, overuse, of, commas. Also, "heroine" addict? Bruh.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's interesting. I would have put him into the white American facist grouping but he really doesn't fit well there. It just goes to show you can find any combination of beliefs.

It's in the style of a sovereign citizen or Ruby Ridge but without any of the anti-government items.
It feels like it would fit in with the Bundyville types but there's no Mormon beliefs
I would say he would fit in with the KKK or Neo Nazis but he breaks from a lot of far right groups in supporting racial equality.
It's not Evangelical Christian as that population largely supports Israel.
It's not mainstream Christian as that population is ok with church + state being together and he comes out against that.

The writing is interesting too. He has both college level word use and horribly bad grammar mixed together. It's not completely rambling, there's some flow to the document making points long the way with a clear thesis to the document.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Great to see such strong support for rail, bus, and streetcar at tonight’s debate. I am especially interested in Jolie’s desire for rapid rail transit. While true rapid rail (metro) isn’t possible, it’s good to see the front runner strongly support regional rail and bus.

On another note.... I still have no idea how Steve Miller stands on any issues. I can see Canady or Lucas beating out Miller. It feels like people are getting fed up waiting for him to take stands on issues.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 pm While true rapid rail (metro) isn’t possible
Sure it is. But you have to think about not necessarily being seamless with downtown. Using places like the Riverfront for a transfer point.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:08 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 pm While true rapid rail (metro) isn’t possible
Sure it is. But you have to think about not necessarily being seamless with downtown. Using places like the Riverfront for a transfer point.
I don’t think we will ever be able to afford a metro aka subway. Maybe there is some confusion due to my using the word metro?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 am
I don’t think we will ever be able to afford a metro aka subway. Maybe there is some confusion due to my using the word metro?
A metro is any city-centered (usually urban) rail system segregated from general vehicle use with physical separation. A subway is one type of metro design. Minneapolis has a Metro system and, off the top of my head, the only tunnel is to go between the airport terminals.

Our streetcars are categorized by the manufacturer as a light metro vehicle.
Sure, we might not run them underground but we could build a metro-style network and use the exact same trains as we do downtown. We could build a single above ground system with some lines metro-style and some streetcar style.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 am
normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 am

A metro is any city-centered (usually urban) rail system segregated from general vehicle use with physical separation. A subway is one type of metro design. Minneapolis has a Metro system and, off the top of my head, the only tunnel is to go between the airport terminals.

Our streetcars are categorized by the manufacturer as a light metro vehicle.
Sure, we might not run them underground but we could build a metro-style network and use the exact same trains as we do downtown. We could build a single above ground system with some lines metro-style and some streetcar style.
Oh, my apologies for the confusion. I agree. We can and imho should build something like that.