Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Westport

Post by chrizow »

I thought 303 was just expanding into Ragazza's old space?
bryan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by bryan »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:06 am FedEx is moving its Plaza center into a Westport location. Don’t know where or why however it is planned to open in May.
I was at the plaza FedEx location yesterday and mentioned I'd heard they were moving to Westport. The employee claimed they weren't allowed to discuss it. I pushed further, asking if they couldn't discuss the location and they replied, "Well, there's an empty building where Freebirds used to be..."

Sounds like FedEx is moving to 554 Westport Road.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

bryan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:06 am FedEx is moving its Plaza center into a Westport location. Don’t know where or why however it is planned to open in May.
I was at the plaza FedEx location yesterday and mentioned I'd heard they were moving to Westport. The employee claimed they weren't allowed to discuss it. I pushed further, asking if they couldn't discuss the location and they replied, "Well, there's an empty building where Freebirds used to be..."

Sounds like FedEx is moving to 554 Westport Road.
That seems like a huge building for them, but maybe they need it. On a side not, Pie Five on the north end of that strip mall has closed and looks like the space is being gutted for a replacement.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Freebirds and Pie Five both sucked and they both had terrible workers - I think the Single Serving Pizza in 5 minutes Boom is kind of settling down. I know that pizza place by KU Med called Topp'd (Similar to Pie Five) shut down a few months ago. Spin Pizza seems to be the most successful of any in this metro.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Pie Five being replaced with a Dominos per Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... oebel.html
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

lock+load wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:50 pm Pie Five being replaced with a Dominos per Business Journal

Wonder if the location on 39th will just close now
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:22 pm
lock+load wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:50 pm Pie Five being replaced with a Dominos per Business Journal

I'd imagine so. Its pretty uncomfortable having to get your pizza through a bullet proof glass window.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

johnmatrix wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:17 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:22 pm

I'd imagine so. Its pretty uncomfortable having to get your pizza through a bullet proof glass window.
Why? Are you scared of glass?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Actually, the entire stretch of 39th from Broadway all the way to Warwick is pretty shitty. Regarding the Westport portion, with 39th on the north and Broadway on the west, when is redevelopment going to hit that SE corner of the intersection? That raggedy strip of shops and 'spa' needs to go.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

That's fine, but let's not act like "johnnymatrix" really gets his pizza there.

I lived in the Santa Maria (next door to the Alcazar) for a year when I was a bit younger. I know what that stretch is about.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

not sure if it's still the same but i always thought of 39th as KCMO's "tenderloin." despite being immediately adjacent to some fine or fun areas, it's like gentrification-proof. it wasn't that long ago that people would see public defecation in broad daylight, needles all over the ground, gunpoint robberies while getting the mail, crazy ass shit happening all the time.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i like it. how about the "burnt end"
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

kcjak wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:41 pm Actually, the entire stretch of 39th from Broadway all the way to Warwick is pretty shitty. Regarding the Westport portion, with 39th on the north and Broadway on the west, when is redevelopment going to hit that SE corner of the intersection? That raggedy strip of shops and 'spa' needs to go.
I say this everytime i'm in the area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:41 pm That raggedy strip of shops and 'spa' needs to go.
Does it?

Capitalism says that as long as owner of the strip of shops stops is making money off it greater than the return on selling it then it should stick around.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

The Alcazar is the biggest issue. Too bad there isn't more money in subsidized housing because that place needs a bit more than a spit-shine.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

flyingember wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 am
kcjak wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:41 pm That raggedy strip of shops and 'spa' needs to go.
Does it?

Capitalism says that as long as owner of the strip of shops stops is making money off it greater than the return on selling it then it should stick around.
You're a genius! Coming at this as someone other than the property owner, I don't know why I never considered that! Just because it's (possibly) making money for the owner doesn't mean it's beneficial to the neighborhood or those of us passing by it every day can't aspire to something more. Renting out a space to anyone who will pay the rent might be good business sense for some, but doesn't always bring anything to the neighborhood.

Likewise, holding on to a property because you're asking to much for it (i.e. the vacant house between Simply Grooming by Gia and Meshuggah Bagels) or because you can't afford to do anything with it (the vacant buildings owned by the Center for Spiritual Living on 39th/Roanoke) keeps an area from reaching it's full potential.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

flyingember wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 amCapitalism says that as long as owner of the strip of shops stops is making money off it greater than the return on selling it then it should stick around.
Time to overthrow capitalism.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

flyingember wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 am Capitalism says that as long as owner of the strip of shops stops is making money off it greater than the return on selling it then it should stick around.
Does it?

I thought Capitalism would suggest that if a parcel could produce more profits that market pressures would transform that parcel into a use that generates the higher profits. Maybe land/property ownership laws subterfuge market pressures or we don't really live in a "free-market" economy?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

We live in a free market economy as long as you can afford to participate, which is basically how it works everywhere else, but I think in most other places they're at least honest about it being bribery.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:48 am
flyingember wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 am Capitalism says that as long as owner of the strip of shops stops is making money off it greater than the return on selling it then it should stick around.
Maybe land/property ownership laws subterfuge market pressures or we don't really live in a "free-market" economy?
It's way more complex than that.

Some properties are purposefully owned to serve as collateral for other projects.

Not all owners will be able to access the capital to obtain the maximum value out of their property. How do you build better when you can't get a loan and you're living off your tenants?

There's also the microeconomic aspects.
Disinterest in doing anything more than what they have can explain a lot of decisions but not all.

There's personal and cultural reasons. Imagine being Jewish and owning the building that leases space to the only Jewish Deli in a community.

People have kept around buildings because their father and grandfather owned it and you're not selling for any reason.